LC100/LX470 Part-Time Conversion Discussion (39 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did the conversion a year ago and never looked back. Won a few mpg's on the old HDJ100, steering feels much better, not affected by the drive anymore. I run AVM hubs - never had a problem with them so far. I highly recommend this mod. In my case fuel in europe is expensive, so it paid off by itself already... saves 3€/100km's a liter diesel is at 1.20€ currently.

Hmmmm, running into hurdles. The added length and spline dimensions of the US CV can be overcome with a custom inner gear but it will also require a mod to the face. We knew this early on but we are realizing it may be more than we are comfortable with.

View attachment 1637019
The interference fit, ie shaft us touching dial, see clearance needed.

View attachment 1637023
This represents a normal hub clearance, there simply isn't enough room available to clearance this amount.

Not dead in water but another minor hurdle :D

I heard that would be a problem somewhere before;)

Maybe not the perfect place for this post but related to PT so I think this is relevant. I've answered my own question on the TRAC issue. Here's what I've got. 05 LC, Marks PT kit with factory CDL, no diff locks. When I press the CDL I get VSC Off light and CDL lock light. There is another light in between those light that is TRAC VSC. When I bought the truck that TRAC VSC light would also be on when I hit CDL, so all three lights on in a row, is this true for others? That is no longer the case after the PT kit. Now with CDL locked and the VSC off in 4HI I still have TRAC interfering with my power. I would like to be able to turn TRAC off entirely but not off for good since my wife drives the truck too and TRAC is hooked into ABS and I'd like that on for most daily driving. Having TRAC off when you're in RWD is fun, the rear end can get totally wild.

Solution, pull the ABS switch on the brake MC. There are 2 or three sensors/switches on the MC and reservoir, the ABS is one of them. When this switch is pulled the ABS light comes on (so no ABS) the TRAC VSC is on (so no TRAC at all, obviously because TRAC is tied to ABS) and the VSC light is on so you can go sideways and the truck won't interfere. Of course I don't want to be under my hood every time I want to do donuts so all I need to do is splice in a switch to the ABS sensor and run a toggle into the cabin so I can flip that ABS whenever I want. I read this somewhere else, I can't remember where so I can't give proper credit where it is due. But I did test this just now in a packed snow parking lot and with the ABS switch pulled the truck has zero electronic interference, it's purely mechanical and you can slid it sideways, donuts, burn your tire, etc.

I think that the TRAC VSC is supposed to go off automatically when the CDL is on but for some reason mine does not go off. Maybe this is due to the PT kit, maybe it's just something wrong with my truck, or maybe I'm entirely wrong and it's supposed to just be VSC and CDL and the TRAC VSC is not supposed to come on. Thoughts on that appreciated. I'm minimally mechanically inclined, I know just enough about my LC to be dangerous.

Ok, I'm an idiot. The VSC TRAC light is a warning light. However, I think the work around to turn off the TRAC with the ABS switch is still a good option. Anyone going PT might find this interesting to try. Any thoughts on if this would have any negative impacts on the truck other than the ABS being disabled?

Hmmmm, running into hurdles. The added length and spline dimensions of the US CV can be overcome with a custom inner gear but it will also require a mod to the face. We knew this early on but we are realizing it may be more than we are comfortable with.

View attachment 1637019
The interference fit, ie shaft us touching dial, see clearance needed.

View attachment 1637023
This represents a normal hub clearance, there simply isn't enough room available to clearance this amount.

Not dead in water but another minor hurdle :D

How's this hurdle going? I think we are all curious!

How's this hurdle going? I think we are all curious!

Another snap ring groove in the axle stub (like the 80 series) will get this done. If a set of Aisin hubs landed on my doorstep Ill do a write up on the ease of running Aisin hubs over AVM.

@LandCruiserPhil care to elaborate on how to add AISIN hubs since it’s so easy?

If it truly is easy a set of hubs may be in my shopping cart later today...

Another snap ring groove in the axle stub (like the 80 series) will get this done....

A new groove and parting off the end of the axle to shorten it by approx 5mm... That takes the luster out of the "bolt-on" kit and thus we've still been supplying the non-US outer and/or complete shaft.

A new groove and parting off the end of the axle to shorten it by approx 5mm... That takes the luster out of the "bolt-on" kit and thus we've still been supplying the non-US outer and/or complete shaft.

IRRC I did not see a need to shorten the axle, has that been confirmed without the snap ring installed?

@LandCruiserPhil care to elaborate on how to add AISIN hubs since it’s so easy?

If it truly is easy a set of hubs may be in my shopping cart later today...

If all that is needed is a new groove its not hard.

Dont let the hubs limit you from going part time. Yes "I" dont like AVM hubs but there is a ton of them out there working. I recently talked with an 80 guy running 37's with AVM hubs that is wheeled much harder than any 100 series without issue.

I assume you ruled out installing longer flange studs and installing a 5mm spacer of some sort?

Not at all, but I would want a bolt on spacer that then has it's own studs, say 10mm. Similar to that used in the 7x Series E-Hub conversions. However by the time you make a custom inner gear, spacer, hardware, etc... Our current offering is about the same cost. Still not dead in the water on a spacer, just in the middle of a crazy busy spring season so it's been tabled until we have time :D

IRRC I did not see a need to shorten the axle, has that been confirmed without the snap ring installed?

Yes, the stub of the axle hits the backside of the hub dial with or without the clip installed, the clip would just require more clearancing that we were comfortable doing to the hub and another layer of modifications. A new CV specific shaft or CV specific outer joint is available today from us and we have HD inner gears we can toss in any AISIN hubs.

Yes, the stub of the axle hits the backside of the hub dial with or without the clip installed, the clip would just require more clearancing that we were comfortable doing to the hub and another layer of modifications. A new CV specific shaft or CV specific outer joint is available today from us and we have HD inner gears we can toss in any AISIN hubs.

Can you post pricing or a link

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom