LC & LX470 Tesla Style Screen Radio Upgrade with Climate Control: General Discussions (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I recently installed one of the Tesla screens after the factory nav screen cracked in my 2007 lx. I was eyeing them for a while and had heard about the airbag light issue. Here is the solution that worked for me. Hopefully this also works for the late model LC and non-US guys.

This is a picture of the passenger side of the factory system. These connectors are what links the passenger airbag light to the rest of the air bag system. Your Tesla system will replace both of these with new connectors but is missing wires, resulting in a failed SRS check and dashboard airbag MIL.

View attachment 2448519

These are the Tesla replacements. To solve the airbag light issue, you need to add two wires where indicated.

View attachment 2448585

View attachment 2448586

If you're like me, you won't have the necessary wires/pins laying around. Luckily, your Telsa unit came with two versions of the harness in question: a "high" configuration that you use for LC/LXs with a nav system and the "low and medium" configuration that isn't used. The low and medium version has wires with pins that fit the male connector to the passenger airbag indicator. In my case, the other end did not have pins that fit the connector to the factory harness. My solution was to cut two wires from the unused harness at the end that I didn't want (i.e., cut the end opposite the connector to the passenger airbag light indicator and remove the pin ends from the unused connector) and to use posi-taps to tap these into the factory harness wires that correspond to the marked pin holes above. In my factory harness, that meant I tapped pin 2 to a blue/black wire and pin 3 to a brownish wire. Once done, you will have 4 total wires going to the passenger airbag indicator (the two that came with your Tesla unit plus the two you just added). I have also asked my seller to send an updated harness so I can remove the taps later and will post a pic of the updated harness if they send one. Hopefully they will start shipping these with the pins already included at some point to address the issue.

View attachment 2448600

Before putting it all back together, connect your passenger airbag indicator light and test for normal operation. The dashboard airbag light should turn on for about 6 seconds during the SRS test when you first turn on the car, and then it should shut off. After the SRS test is complete, the passenger airbag indicator light should be off (i.e., neither "off" or "on" illuminated) when the passenger seat is empty. With light pressure on the passenger seat (~30 lbs, but I can't remember the exact number from the FSM), "off" should be illuminated. With the weight of an adult in the passenger seat, "on" should be illuminated. If your light is displaying "off" when an adult is in the seat and "on" when there is light pressure on the seat, your pin 2 and pin 3 are reversed. Switch them and retest. The passenger seat belt indicator should be off when the seat is empty or occupied with the belt buckled and illuminated if the seat is occupied and the belt is unbuckled.

View attachment 2448606

Once everything is confirmed working, button it all back up and enjoy your Tesla screen. I think it's a solid upgrade to the original system if you are willing to put in the time to set it up. As an aside, I bought mine from Phoenix Automotive. Everything functions as it should after some time fiddling with the settings and pulling the front seat to tap into the TV ECU for the reverse cam feed from the OEM camera as shown earlier in this thread. Phoenix takes 24 hours to respond to questions (and sends these annoying automated "acknowledgments" that they are working on your message) but does provide support and was instrumental in finding a resolution to my airbag issue. I got capped out at 5 pics in the post so pic of my set up is in the next post. Just need to get some OEM vents with proper clips and a better screen protector, and I'm good to go.
Holy smokes... I had no idea mine was not doing this... Guess I have to take mine apart. LOL

My unit, as I've mentioned in the past was bought at Rhino... They sent me a used model or open box if you will...

Since 90% of the things work... and they never responded to my several request to return the unit... I'm stuck with it...

But that's not the point here. :)

Does any one how to make these button work?

The rest of the things in this unit work... steering wheel controls, AC touchscreen controls, cameras, etc all work. NO airbag codes, etc.

I'm not a software guy but can understand this sh..tuff.

Radio.jpg

Mine is the 4/32G px6 with Android 9. I also sprung for the custom “firmware” from the Facebook page mentioned earlier in this thread.
WOW! That Sergei guy is pretty good with the Android software updates. Thanks for the info.

Hey guys... I'm getting ready to do the cams and don't want to burn anything.

The brown wire will get 12V in from the reverse trigger, right? It's not supplying 12V?

The same goes for the purple one for the Side Camera

RCA.jpg

Just got my PX6 today. The unit came with 2 AC harnesses. LC100 low configuration air conditioner adapter, and the other, LC100 High Configuration air conditioner adapter. Does anyone know which one I'm supposed to use in my 2005 LX470? The low configuration harness was the one plugged into the CAN BUS decoder out the box. Thanks.

View attachment 2416077
Use the LC100 High.

The other one is not for our trucks.

anyone try the
KLYDE 12.1 inch tesla vertical screen?

allando thanks for posting the wiring diagram on how to use the factory camera. Can you post a photo of how you tapped the rca cable into the connector? Did you remove the existing wire and replace with the rca wire? I have seen other posts in the meantime that the factory camera now works. Is this through your method or is it now plug and play supported?

allando thanks for posting the wiring diagram on how to use the factory camera. Can you post a photo of how you tapped the rca cable into the connector? Did you remove the existing wire and replace with the rca wire? I have seen other posts in the meantime that the factory camera now works. Is this through your method or is it now plug and play supported?
I’m no expert here but I used these to tap the three wires so I can easily remove if I wanted to go back to stock (although having done this, it’s more likely I would just leave the rca cable behind the dash). Ran the rca down from radio underneath the shifter bezel/trim thingy and out under the carpet by the tv ecu. No plug and play solution that I know of. Four bolts to remove so you can tip the passenger seat back. That gave me enough room to move the amp and get at the tv ecu without needing to disconnect any passenger seat connectors. Just be careful when reinserting the four seat bolts. Easy to cross thread.

Amazon product ASIN B00389UT3I

Last edited:
Hello Mud Community,

Over the last 9 months there has been some great headway made on the ZhiFang 12.1" Tesla style touchscreen radio with integrated climate controls. There are a few dedicated threads to specific installs and I figured it was about time to create a general discussion forum as lots of good install info if getting buried in these threads.

For those of you who have not seen this yet it seems to have started here: Tesla style head unit - has anyone seen this?

Specific installation experiences have been documented here:
Successfully installed a Tesla Style headunit into a 2005 LX470
"Tesla Style" found for older LX470/LC100
2003 LC Tesla Screen Install Write-Up

Here is what they look like: ( mistered123 I hope you're ok with me snagging your pics for reference)
BEFORE

AFTER

The quad core units were the first batch to come out late last year. Part #s are ZF-1301S. These used Android 7.1 and (once the wiring issues were worked out) they worked pretty well. Overall the hardware and OS where described as a little clunky, but a definite improvement over the original touch screen radios and cassette decks.

The six core units (PX6) are the latest batch out as a release of this post and are pretty good. Part # for the LC version is ZF-1301X. These are not showing up on the ZhiFang website yet, but they have ZhiFang's name on them. They look to have the same cables as the original quad core units but have worked through most of the wiring issues. Interfaces are crisp and fast with the only general complaint is the amount of time it takes to start up once you turn your key on. This is typically around 20 seconds. AC controls work great and utilize existing Toyota circuit boards as part of your original radio.

I'd like to send out BIG thanks to mistered123, LX470MK, Swainbuilt, Wetwillie, revoked, loeky, Ell Ex & all the others that have contributed so far with testing and Q&A.

These units are sold by a variety of online resellers, but they seem to be made by one manufacturer in China. They don't come with assembly or operations instructions...AND the technical support is lacking. Some have been buying from a US based radio shop, but it sounds like they were just buying these radios in bulk from China. Here is where you can find the PX6 chip set radios online for purchase:
The only thing I can tell different between the LX and LC versions is the additional side trim for the air vents as the LX trim tends to be in three pieces (one running the full width of the cassette deck) and the LC already has the appropriate vents.

Ell Ex has done a successful full install of the PX6 (6 core) units with Android in a 2006 LX470 with ML amp and custom apps. I'm in the middle of a full amp and speaker replacement with a 2004 LX470 and the PX6 unit. A few others have been working on 2003 and older installs. I've heard of a few people wanting to try these with non-nav (dedicated AC control version) 100 series trucks, but have not seen one yet.

The 2004 and newer seem to be plug and play for cables (once you figure out where they all go). There seem to still be a few extra plugs left over (3 in my case) that may have been part of the factory test.

The 2003 and older units are needing either another harness from the manufacturer or a few wire splices to work. There was a request for the "Top Model" wire harness for these truck to avoid splicing, but I cannot confirm its the final solution.

No confirmations I can find yet for getting the factory backup camera working. I'm looking at installing a new HD camera now to replace the 16 year old factory one. One in the back and one up front hopefully.

I am hoping to write up a first draft of an installation guide for my experiences on a full amp replacement and am willing to share with others to alter for 2003 and older versions as well as ML integrations/tips/tricks.

My hope is that this can be a source for good general information on the radio installs, applications, mods and troubleshooting and the model specific threads can serve those specific needs without getting cluttered with off topic discussions.

Hope you all find this helpful. I'll try to get my install guide uploaded soon.
PLEASE ADD YOUR EXPERIENCES AND COMMENTS.

************************************************************************************************
11/05/19 Update: Version 0.0 of the Install Guide Uploaded. Please review and private message me if you have suggestions for improvements or additions. Would really like to add sections for 2003 and older installs and any other variations seen. Also, any suggestions for App are appreciated.
************************************************************************************************
I had purchased the PX6 Version. Everything was working. NOw the Carplay (android auto -zlink) will not work. I have tried to install the Zlink apk. No luck.. Any idea how to reset the whole o.s.?

Alright so the wife and I went to tesla dealership and allowed her to see for herself the model s, she didn’t liked it, EXCEPT for the huge screen. So that being said, we are not getting the car, BUT she requested if I can put in one of these tesla-style head units to the LX and make the 06’s interior a little modern. So, what model/unit should I get for my 06Lx and where should I get it? As of this writing, this thread already has 30+ pages worth of information, I’ve only gone back at most 6 pages back and read somewhere here that the PX6 is the latest and there will be one model or iteration coming out next year? Should I wait for that or it is safe to get one now? Thank you in advance ladies & gents.

Alright so the wife and I went to tesla dealership and allowed her to see for herself the model s, she didn’t liked it, EXCEPT for the huge screen. So that being said, we are not getting the car, BUT she requested if I can put in one of these tesla-style head units to the LX and make the 06’s interior a little modern. So, what model/unit should I get for my 06Lx and where should I get it? As of this writing, this thread already has 30+ pages worth of information, I’ve only gone back at most 6 pages back and read somewhere here that the PX6 is the latest and there will be one model or iteration coming out next year? Should I wait for that or it is safe to get one now? Thank you in advance ladies & gents.

I'm wondering too if the PX6 is ready for prime time... Seems to me the cheapest place to get right now is Phoenix automotive they have it for less than 500$ after the coupon code. I'm still debating. I like the look but don't want to be dealing with something that is glitchy

I'm wondering too if the PX6 is ready for prime time... Seems to me the cheapest place to get right now is Phoenix automotive they have it for less than 500$ after the coupon code. I'm still debating. I like the look but don't want to be dealing with something that is glitchy
Same concern for me, I am curious if upgrading to this is really a hit or miss experience esp for an 06 model where I’ve read just a few had done it and about half had issues installing them if not components missing or was a mismatch. Hopefully an 06 owner can post his experience here

Same concern for me, I am curious if upgrading to this is really a hit or miss experience esp for an 06 model where I’ve read just a few had done it and about half had issues installing them if not components missing or was a mismatch. Hopefully an 06 owner can post his experience here

anybody have experience with a 05 LX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom