Laptop/Tablet/GPS mounts? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cbbr

SILVER Star
Threads
As I move through my build, I want to be able to use (at least) my phone, a tablet or GPS and a GMRS or similar radio for trail use. I fully intend to be in places with zero cell signal, hence the tablet or GPS as a stand-alone system. I am also going to install an Android Auto head unit to run TourquePro (I use it in my DD car) to monitor the engine temps.

So the question is how to munt all of this in a useful manner knowing that some of the driving will be on the rough side.

Please show me your dash and mounting systems!

For my phone I have a Quad Lock mount, the head unit does everything else I need.

IMG_5081.jpeg

Search around using "mount" and "gps" in the title only search, limit to the 100 section, several good threads to review including a few with 3d printed stuff from small vendors here on Mud that use factory style mounting places.

Does the phone interfere with the AC? And what do you use the head unit for besides audio?

It doesn’t interfere with anything in that location but I use a small phone (iPhone mini). A larger phone might work better with the mount on the top of the dash. I use it primarily for Car Play, Apple/Google maps, OnX, etc.

OK, I studied this and another youtube vid on if this will work on later 100s.

Take a look at time stamp 8:10 on . this is the ohana install. note the location of the upper wing fastener location (inboard and below the rectangular holes either side of the cd slot).

Take a look at time stamp 18:19 on . this is for the newer 100's. again, keying off of the rectangular holes at the top of the screen, the screen obscures the upper wing fasteners needed for the ohana mount.

Conclusion: Ohana dash mount will NOT WORK for the newer 100's :bang:

Hoping someone can prove me wrong.

We need something similar to Ohana that will work for our newer rigs.

That's not my story, and I'm not sticking to it.

Monitor temps, run Gaia GPS, connect to your phone, play spotify, remove when you don't need it, etc..........do it all with a tablet and make your life easier. Loading up your dashboard with devices is not a good idea. I also find the handheld GPS maps to be inferior compared to Gaia or Google. Put a garmin in your glovebox for the SOS button or off grid messaging, the tablet can handle everything else.

Mount to floor with RAM seat mount or to the dashboard with BenCC creation

1703881746080.png
1703881796468.png

Using the Owl media mount in my 06 with a iPad mini. The mount with RAM parts works perfectly

Monitor temps, run Gaia GPS, connect to your phone, play spotify, remove when you don't need it, etc..........do it all with a tablet and make your life easier. Loading up your dashboard with devices is not a good idea. I also find the handheld GPS maps to be inferior compared to Gaia or Google. Put a garmin in your glovebox for the SOS button or off grid messaging, the tablet can handle everything else.
A single tablet with an android auto head-unit would certainly work. I plan on having a GMRS onboard for trail comms, but that will likely be remote mounted. I have also been reading about the diferences between Onx & Gaia - I will certainly have one or the other.

Where did you get that Ram setup?

A single tablet with an android auto head-unit would certainly work. I plan on having a GMRS onboard for trail comms, but that will likely be remote mounted. I have also been reading about the diferences between Onx & Gaia - I will certainly have one or the other.

Where did you get that Ram setup?
I'm not much help in regards to radio or android head unit. I have the BT Bluetooth thingy to connect to the truck speakers.

Gaia is far better than onx and has more layers + features when it comes to off roading . Onx may have better hunting integrations.

Ram mount is the universal floor mount Jerry rigged to fit to our seat rails. You loose a little bit of front slide on the seat. I can take some pics and report back if interested.

Then dash mount is bencc creation and works great but wiggles a bit when off road using full size tablet , floor mount is rock solid and allows the passenger to run the tablet as well

I looked at the bencc mount, and its a cool piece of kit, but I don't know that it would hold a tablet very well once I am on trail. That's a real challenge.

In looking at the No-drill Ram kits on Amazon, I may try a Manfrotto Magic Arm and a DIY bracket to the seat bolt. I have a couple of those sitting on a shelf (photography is a serious hobby). They hold my DSLR's with no issue, so strength shouldn't be an issue. Thanks!

I looked at the bencc mount, and its a cool piece of kit, but I don't know that it would hold a tablet very well once I am on trail. That's a real challenge.

In looking at the No-drill Ram kits on Amazon, I may try a Manfrotto Magic Arm and a DIY bracket to the seat bolt. I have a couple of those sitting on a shelf (photography is a serious hobby). They hold my DSLR's with no issue, so strength shouldn't be an issue. Thanks!
Agreed, the dash mount and a full size tablet don't mix well. On washboard road it will pull the dash off a bit and shake . It's meant for smaller payloads

I'll get you a pic of that universal ram floor mount tomorrow. I think you can even secure other ram mounts to the bar with their clamp style mounts .Like tablet mounted up top on the ball head and phone or gps popping out from below.

I run a 3D dashboard mount that mounts in the lower right hand corner below the radio/stereo (don't remember the vendor) with RAM cradle, arms, and balls to hold a Samsung Tablet which is paired to a Garmin InReach via Bluetooth. Works fine on my desert exploring treks in the Southwest (note: not BAJA 1000! lol)

The floor mount RAM arms are the worse - they will shake like crazy while driving on rough roads.

My first tablet holder was a Ram mount to the windshield. Easy install, great visibility, but not so good on hot days. A Samsung tablet primarily used for Gaia and Torque Pro.

samsung-galaxy-tablet-s2-4-jpg.1868072

Installed a Kenwood ham radio using one of @BenCC's mounts and moved the tablet down to the center console using his change holder mount. Very stable.

kenwood-tm-d710g-jpeg.2932116

I definitely want to stay away from suction cups as I live in Louisiana and intend to travel mostly to the desert southwest again. What you are doing with TorquePro and Gaia (or maybe Onx) is exactly what I am planning. I am leaning towards a Midland MX575 for trail comms, so that will be hidden except for the mic.

I am working through the same issues for my '06....I just stumbled across another Ohana option: Link

It conceptually is interesting, but a bit massive for my tastes....but I am still pondering.

Agreed, the dash mount and a full size tablet don't mix well. On washboard road it will pull the dash off a bit and shake . It's meant for smaller payloads

I'll get you a pic of that universal ram floor mount tomorrow. I think you can even secure other ram mounts to the bar with their clamp style mounts .Like tablet mounted up top on the ball head and phone or gps popping out from below.
awaiting details ☮️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom