Knock off snorkel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if anybody here can recommend one of the knock off snorkels? If they are of similar quality to a Safari Snorkel I can't imagine paying $300 more for one.

Also curious if they come with a template and how hard they are to install.

Thank!

I was wondering if anybody here can recommend one of the knock off snorkels? If they are of similar quality to a Safari Snorkel I can't imagine paying $300 more for one.

Also curious if they come with a template and how hard they are to install.

Thank!

Quality of amazon and eBay dorkels seems pretty good. Probably not 100% of Arb quality, but pretty close. Template is supposed to be pretty wanky and will need adjusting. Good deal overall if you want one.

I got mine for ~$50-60 off of Amazon. It's actually great quality - very thick, sturdy plastic. The template was pretty bad. I covered over the holes with tape and re-tapped the holes in it. The scariest part is drilling the large hole. I watched video after video, looked at as many pictures as I could find, measured, measured again, mocked it up, mocked it up again, then just went for it. Turned out perfect.

Great! Been meaning to get a snorkel but can't justify over $400 for a plastic tube! The feedback on amazon is that the template is junk. A bit worried about how to fit it.

There are about 30 threads on here about dorkels. Google it. Been done any hundreds. It's not rocket science. Just disregard the template and figure it out on your own. You'll be fine.

I used an amazon snorkel. It has survived mostly and a few good tree branch impacts. The grate cover broke a little but, but nothing
I wouldn't expect from anything else, it was a large branch.

Great! Been meaning to get a snorkel but can't justify over $400 for a plastic tube! The feedback on amazon is that the template is junk. A bit worried about how to fit it.

Agreed - $400 for a snorkel is just dumb. No way would I pay that. Just get the Amazon versions...it's honestly one of the easiest mods I've ever done. Just take your time. It's more nerve-wracking than anything because there isn't any going back once you drill the hell out of your fender.

Got an Amazon clone too. I downloaded & printed out the ARB template, to get the basic "footprint," then used that to make my own bolt template for my actual snorkel. Definitely a case of measure 3-4x then measure again, then drill a bunch of holes in your fender. Haha! The biggest thing, is to make sure you A. have a hole saw & drill that are up to the task, B. make sure you are smooth & steady when you drill the big hole. When the hole saw's teeth hit the crease where the fender curves outwards, it's going to want to kick & could walk up the fender.

Take your time, and have patience as you're doing the drilling/cutting. Once everything's drilled out, take the extra time to pull the fender. You could pull it off to start, too. It will be easier to tighten all the mounting hardware vs trying to reach into & through the openings from the engine side.

For Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series 1990-1997 Lexus LX450 Air Snorkel System Kit | eBay
This is the one I bought and installed. It is smaller than the Safari knock-off, more like the OEM one in length. The template was pretty close for the large hole, the smaller ones I put paint on the studs to find out where to drill. I like this knock-off of the Airflow snorkel, the template even had Airflow printed on it. THe plastic is surprisingly thick (1/4" minimum), as I had to cut some off the top to fit my pre-cleaner.
This has lowered my incoming air temps quite dramatically!

I painted mine black to help with UV protection and yes the Chinese make a decent snorkle but dang they can't make a template for shat

If its a Safari knock-off, simply use the Safari template..

I installed a Chinese snorkel in a truck where I had a genuine Safari one. Went on without any trouble. Everything fit exactly the same. I did it because it was cheaper than a new quarter panel. Quality isn't the same, that's for damn certain, but for what you pay it is actually pretty good. It does the job.

Personally, I kept the Safari I uninstalled and replaced with the Chinese unit, because I think the quality is better so that's the one installed in my current truck. But If I didn't previously have it, I'd be running the Chinese snorkel and be done with it.

Kind of odd that the Chinese manufacturer can steal borrow the safari snorkel design so well but the template has them baffled.:doh:

@chap79 Thanks for the link! super helpful!!

Measure twice, and cut once.

You can borrow my ARB template, and I am local. Even have the hole saw and step bit from when installing mine. PM to sort out the details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom