KISS Drawers (Keep It Simple Storage) For 100 Series (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ll dabble with it today. As I was looking for carpet in Lowe’s, your u have no idea how close I was to getting green. It was made from plastic bottles and oh so soft. But black prevailed. Also, I just ended up putting two smaller hinges on the ends instead of one huge piano hinge. They were about 1/5th the cost and are just two small bumps instead of one big one. Underkill? They work perfect!

C6A3F8CF-ACDC-4EBD-8598-CDA9F36BEE15.jpeg

CC3E86CD-21F2-4DF2-B73B-28DCCDC34342.jpeg

25D59648-78AB-4D01-93C3-9A283C71C43F.jpeg

8DBCDCD7-18CC-4F7F-961B-97A882BC9A50.jpeg

image.jpg

All these sweet KISS drawer pics reminded me to post my finished product.

I used 3M Super 77 to attach Home Depot gray carpet to the top and I took some cues from @dogdaysindurham (post #309) and stained the fronts with 2 coats Minwax Gunstock, pre-treated with Minwax Pre-Stain. Finished with 1 coat Minwax Spar Urethane Clear Gloss. May sand and add another gloss coat in the future as the drawer fronts are cake to remove.

Even the gentleman exchanging the propane tanks at the gas station commented on them. Again, well done Dave.

Darwers_Equip.jpg
Drawers_Cape_1.jpg
Drawers_Di_1.jpg
Drawers_Lexus.jpg

To all the people complimenting my design or the packaging or the materials, I really appreciate it, thank you,

BUT:

upload_2017-9-30_12-1-8.png

You guys are the ones spending hours or days finishing them with boat carpet or exotic stains or custom artwork, tricking them out with dividers and kitchenettes and I don't even know what else might be underway, so I hope you're mentioning THAT to the 'propane guy'!!!!!

All these sweet KISS drawer pics reminded me to post my finished product.

I used 3M Super 77 to attach Home Depot gray carpet to the top and I took some cues from @dogdaysindurham (post #309) and stained the fronts with 2 coats Minwax Gunstock, pre-treated with Minwax Pre-Stain. Finished with 1 coat Minwax Spar Urethane Clear Gloss. May sand and add another gloss coat in the future as the drawer fronts are cake to remove.

Even the gentleman exchanging the propane tanks at the gas station commented on them. Again, well done Dave.

View attachment 1546560 View attachment 1546561 View attachment 1546562 View attachment 1546563

You didn't put the trim pieces below your drawers, any reason why?

I mounted them eventually.

Two of the pics I posted, with the Lexus badge, have no trim pieces. The other two have them. I initially tried nailing them on but was worried about the wood splitting (likely not an issue) and mostly wanted them to be more easily removable in the future. Also, they didn't sit flush with the drawer fronts for some reason so I needed a spacer of sorts.

Thick, double-sided 3M adhesive was the solution. It pushed the trim pieces out a little bit to sit flush with the drawer fronts and they're also removable.

I mounted them eventually.

Two of the pics I posted, with the Lexus badge, have no trim pieces. The other two have them. I initially tried nailing them on but was worried about the wood splitting (likely not an issue) and mostly wanted them to be more easily removable in the future. Also, they didn't sit flush with the drawer fronts for some reason so I needed a spacer of sorts.

Thick, double-sided 3M adhesive was the solution. It pushed the trim pieces out a little bit to sit flush with the drawer fronts and they're also removable.
It's possible during install for the bottom frame and top frame to not line up, easy to check with the drawers in: when closed the drawer fronts should be contacting the top and bottom aluminum equally. No biggy if not, but that is likely why the bottom wasn't flush. Nice idea on the 3M, I never install mine because I'm constantly fiddling with the set and nails don't lend themselves to remove/install/repeat - I'll have to try the tape, thanks!

Oh, and there should be two very small holes for the nails to guide through, eliminating any splitting worry - possible my CNCer dropped those from his program so I'll check.

It's possible during install for the bottom frame and top frame to not line up, easy to check with the drawers in: when closed the drawer fronts should be contacting the top and bottom aluminum equally. No biggy if not, but that is likely why the bottom wasn't flush. Nice idea on the 3M, I never install mine because I'm constantly fiddling with the set and nails don't lend themselves to remove/install/repeat - I'll have to try the tape, thanks!

Oh, and there should be two very small holes for the nails to guide through, eliminating any splitting worry - possible my CNCer dropped those from his program so I'll check.

The holes are in my trim pieces from your last shipment.

Lol Dave you really have thought of everything. I didn't look very hard for those holes, they're prob there.

I want to try magnets next because then it is truly removable.

Finished mine up last night. Had a Class 4 meltdown when one of the two drawers was nearly impossible to slide in, despite being square. Hit the slides with some Dry Lube and bam, slid right in. Note that I'm a terrible carpenter and anything involving wood often goes somewhat sideways, even when it's pre cut and easy as hell. It's the cross I bare.

Anyhow, super stoked on the system. The LC is now clean because all of the "oh s**t" stuff AND all of my hunting stuff is now stored in the drawers. I'll add a pic when I have some time.

Pro Tip: Use Dry Lube on the slides.
Pro Tip 2: You don't have to remove both wings--I removed only one to get it in the truck easily. Not sure if this is a bad thing but it saved time and didn't seem to effect anything at all.

Finished mine up last night. Had a Class 4 meltdown when one of the two drawers was nearly impossible to slide in, despite being square. Hit the slides with some Dry Lube and bam, slid right in. Note that I'm a terrible carpenter and anything involving wood often goes somewhat sideways, even when it's pre cut and easy as hell. It's the cross I bare.

Anyhow, super stoked on the system. The LC is now clean because all of the "oh s**t" stuff AND all of my hunting stuff is now stored in the drawers. I'll add a pic when I have some time.

Pro Tip: Use Dry Lube on the slides.
Pro Tip 2: You don't have to remove both wings--I removed only one to get it in the truck easily. Not sure if this is a bad thing but it saved time and didn't seem to effect anything at all.
@Idaho Savage thanks for your feedback, nice to know the one wing trick! On the slides, while the lube may have helped I fear it is merely masking a fitment issue that may rear it's head later. The slides are actually 'self-lubricating' so lube is not needed.

It sounds like you're packed and ready to head out so file this away as a future to-do, and for anyone else putting them together:
- There's always a little 'slop' as anything is assembled, and these are no exception. While each bit has very minimal potential variation, if they all stack up in the same direction it is possible to run into a tighter drawer. If a drawer is nto sliding well, before you install them in the truck flip the whole set over and try loosening the anchors and frame pieces a little (not so much the t-nuts come off and you have to take it apart!). Then wiggle and jiggle the drawers around while sliding in and out. You're looking to loosen up some gap somewhere. They should start sliding easily in just a few shakes and slides. Then tighten everything down in place, flip back over, & test again. If still good, install.
- Now if they slid great before install but not after, loosen the anchor bolts/u-bolts and do the sliding & shaking again. Something just got pressed tight against something somewhere while you torqued it all down and it should be easy to loosen it all up, get it sliding, then crank it all down. Once installed I have never heard of a drawer becoming tough to slide (excluding the obvious effects of loading them with 85 lbs of recovery gear!)

Hope that helps, and if the above doesn't work email me and I am happy to walk through the issue and find a solution with you.

@Idaho Savage
- Now if they slid great before install but not after, loosen the anchor bolts/u-bolts and do the sliding & shaking again. Something just got pressed tight against something somewhere while you torqued it all down and it should be easy to loosen it all up, get it sliding, then crank it all down. Once installed I have never heard of a drawer becoming tough to slide (excluding the obvious effects of loading them with 85 lbs of recovery gear!)

Hope that helps, and if the above doesn't work email me and I am happy to walk through the issue and find a solution with you.

This.... It worked fine before install. I'll try the ubolt thing first. Much appreciated, Dave!

200 KISS drawers

I fit these into my 200 Cruiser. Driver's wing needed trimming, passenger side wing was fine as is. Fronts of drawers needed trimmed, and the front mount needed elongating slightly to fit the factory seat mounts. I also had to trim the fender-well plastic on both sides to clear the drawers. Passenger side jack-cover comes out just fine with drawers in place. See comments on IMGUR album for specifics, I think I spelled it all out pretty well (go bottom to top). Everything folds down nicely for a sleeping platform.

200 KISS drawers

Last edited:
Thank you Cruzer Dave! Excellent product...View attachment 1552313
Sweet! Where'd you get those handles, I've been waiting to see that rubber/webbing style show up on someone's rig... two/drawer for the weight you're carrying or the look?

Sweet! Where'd you get those handles, I've been waiting to see that rubber/webbing style show up on someone's rig... two/drawer for the weight you're carrying or the look?

kayak / canoe carry handle from amazon $18.99 for all 4. wanted to get something that will help support the weight of drawers while being pulled out... anyway thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom