Keyless entry & Remote Start systems OBD1 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Irish Reiver

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
I want to replace the old keyless entry system which has now failed with a new model that also has a remote start function. My truck is a '94 so OBD1 (not sure if that matters). Does any one have real world recommendations ?

If you can open / start it, so can someone else. Accidental unlock / start may also be possible. Perhaps far-fetched, but if the vehicle starts and runs 'til it's out of fuel, that could (depending on where you like to play) kill you.

That may be, but I know how code grabbers work. Although to be fair, I assume they'd just steal the whole car and not let it sit there and run out of gas. No code, no grab. It's a vulnerability, and one more thing to go wrong. Just my opinion of course… :)

I want to replace the old keyless entry system which has now failed with a new model that also has a remote start function. My truck is a '94 so OBD1 (not sure if that matters). Does any one have real world recommendations ?
I had a remote start installed in my 1995 Ford F150 which is OBD1. Had it done at the local stereo shop. As far as running out of fuel for accidental start or stealing the rig, safeguards are in place like 10 min run and vehicle shuts down when brake is depressed and key not installed and turned.

@Stretched It doesn't matter if your vehicle is OBD at all. Doesn't have to be OBD 1 or 2, remote start just acts like a key. @jaymar you seriously don't know how remote start works. The remote start has a pre determined and often programmable timed shutoff, go ahead and grab the code and start it. As soon as you touch the brake pedal it kills the ignition. Open the hood it kills the ignition, if you don't unlock it with the remote it kills the ignition. And if you have managed not to kill the ignition while attempting to drive/ steal it, the steering wheel and shifter remain locked without a key. As mentioned get a remote page alarm. If your alarm senses the truck has been started it will chime and light up. Find a good viper or
Clifford remote page and then shop the net for that model. Got my $800+ Clifford for $249 on Amazon. Pages me up to a mile and a half if someone breaks in. Let's me know if they mess with the hood, the doors or if they broke a window etc. also programable to turn on AC or heat when the cab reaches certain temps, although I didn't bother hooking that up. I just leave AC or heat on during the appropriate season and sent it to start th truck at a given temp.

Last edited:
@Stretched It doesn't matter if your vehicle is OBD at all. Doesn't have to be OBD 1 or 2, remote start just acts like a key. @jaymar you seriously don't know how remote start works. The remote start has a pre determined and often programmable timed shutoff, go ahead and grab the code and start it. As soon as you touch the brake pedal it kills the ignition. Open the hood it kills the ignition, if you don't unlock it with the remote it kills the ignition. And if you have managed not to kill the ignition while attempting to drive/ steal it, the steering wheel and shifter remain locked without a key. As mentioned get a remote page alarm. If your alarm senses the truck has been started it will chime and light up. Find a good viper or
Clifford remote page and then shop the net for that model. Got my $800+ Clifford for $249 on Amazon. Pages me up to a mile and a half if someone breaks in. Let's me know if they mess with the hood, the doors or if they broke a window etc. also programable to turn on AC or heat when the cab reaches certain temps, although I didn't bother hooking that up. I just leave AC or heat on during the appropriate season and sent it to start th truck at a given temp.
Saw safeguards mentioned by Ted above, thanks. As to remote unlock--does it tell you if the doors are remotely unlocked by someone else?

I hate the code grabbers, that's why I wear tinfoil hat :idea:

Thanks, this was the info I was looking for. I wasn't sure how the new systems could tell if the truck is running (I assumed the newer ones read RPM from the OBD2). Will also get a look at the Clifford. :flipoff2:

Thanks, this was the info I was looking for. I wasn't sure how the new systems could tell if the truck is running (I assumed the newer ones read RPM from the OBD2). Will also get a look at the Clifford. :flipoff2:
The remote start uses a signal off your tachometer signal wire at the coil or you could grab it at the diagnostic plug. It sees that the engine is making a certain RPM and that's how it knows the engine is running.

Saw safeguards mentioned by Ted above, thanks. As to remote unlock--does it tell you if the doors are remotely unlocked by someone else?
If I used my valet remote (which I lost some years ago) to get into my truck my pager remote would beep and show the door was unlocked. It's a 2 way system. It also lets you know when your engine is getting near timing out and when the truck shuts off. Point being, if someone has a code grabber and is going around breaking into your car then just don't press your keyfob a second time when it doesn't work the first time. Instead, go out and check your vehicle for a code grabber if you're that paranoid. Or dont leave anything worth stealing in your vehicle in the first place. I've only ever had one vehicle stolen in my life and it didn't have an alarm, if it had you can be damn sure they wouldn't have driven away with it like they did. All vehicles with keyless entry are susceptible to break in, the trick is to not give people a reason to break-in in the first place. Like keeping your stereo turned down and keeping your stereo faceplate off the stereo if you have the option etc... keep random junk on the floors and seats that is of no value and would be thieves will likely assume you don't take care of your crap well enough to have invested any money into it. Lastly, if it's a real concern, go to your local police department and get a steering wheel club most thieves won't bother breaking into a clubbed vehicle Unless they are tweakers looking for anything to steal for a quick fix.

All vehicles with keyless entry are susceptible to break in, the trick is to not give people a reason to break-in in the first place.

Correction: All vehicles with keyless or without entry are susceptible to break in, the trick is to not give people a reason to break-in in the first place.

Correction: All vehicles with keyless or without entry are susceptible to break in, the trick is to not give people a reason to break-in in the first place.
I was addressing the code grabber scenario, however, you are correct.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom