Builds Keeping another on the road- My Blue 1986 FJ60 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The pain will be worth it. |re you planning on painting just the hood or the whole truck?

Thanks the back seat was started last night and is looking great. I agree it is looking nice. The door panels will be a challenge as i will be using the same material there (bought some extra).

Painting the whole truck. even pulling out all windows and making sure the channels are rust free, then paint. The door jabs are in great shape except the drivers rear (in one spot, so i will ave it painted. but the rest look like new. We will see.

I really cannot wait to get the paint done.

So my last post was two months ago. It has been a crazy two months. My wife (who did not want me to buy this in the first place) was focing me to sell it. When I say forcing, I mean get this Fxxking thing out of my garage.
Well some divorce papers later (kidding). No really this week I was finally getting to the rust repair more (thank you reevesci for the panels they rock!) and so after the repair on the drivers side, grinding down the welds and skim coating it with some metal to metal filler and sanding that down (it is not easy). I ended up with a very nice panel. No pics yet still have some final work.
So after doing this, realizing I still had the other side to do. have a ton of new and used parts. Put the lift on. looked at my TrailTailor carpet, new upholstered seats and my TrailTailor roof rack. I told her no way no how. She came back with we want to buy a house this summer.
I said then the paint job on the FJ60 will wait. I told her I have and will have so many hours into this to fix it up that i just cannot part with it.

All said and done. she is pissed off, i get to keep my 60 and the couch is not so bad. Again kidding, but while she wants it gone I am not parting with it. So expect to see some updates in the next few days.

Ahh more work on the quarter panel, almost done.

Aside from my daily driver i am planning this trip int he summer (4 parts stupid google maps)

Should make for an interesting drive in a 1986 FJ60. That for those who do not want to add is 4632 miles over 73 hours. Now I am planning 2 full weeks for this trip and several stops to camp, fish, etc.
Parts of the trip will change but over all it will be a good one.

Now to make sure my 60 is ready so I am not forced to take my F150.
What spares would one take for this?

Last edited:
North of Lake City, right off of CO 149, is a great little campground I think you'd enjoy. It's called Red Bridge Campground, and it's right on the Lake Fork of the Gunnison River:

Red-Bridge-1.jpg

Red-Bridge-2.jpg

North of Lake City, right off of CO 149, is a great little campground I think you'd enjoy. It's called Red Bridge Campground, and it's right on the Lake Fork of the Gunnison River:

That is fantastic! I absolutely will be stopping there for a night. Thanks.

That is fantastic! I absolutely will be stopping there for a night. Thanks.

Thanks that is what it had, I decided to go with 31's for now. When I get the 5 speed and install the 4:11 on my shelf then I will upgrade to 33"s.

To many hills and the 33" will just be to slow. I remember the days of my BJ42 and the 31's it had. Going up the Coquihalla in BC in 3rd being passed by every 18 wheeler sucked.

OK so I have no posted in my build thread for some time and it is time to bring this back to life.
My problem is I send more time doing the work and less time taking pictures.
This one I could not resist.

So i removed the PS pump tonight. As I could not get the pulley off I had to remove the whole bracket. Ok since I am removing the smog pump

So I discovered 4 things.
1. I was missing the front most bolt of the 4 holding the bracket on. Have to fix that
2. the adjuster bolt for the smog pump, the head was stripped and was a vice-grip removal.
3. Once I got it out what a mess and I will have to clean and paint the bracket now. That is for tomorrow night.
4. Once I got the pulley off and the woodruff key out of the old pulley, I was shocked. From the picture below the new one is on the right, and the OEM or what every the hell that is, is on the left.

And some nice shots of the fancy new pump (I even got a new pulley not in the picture yet) next to the old leaking mess.

Once the bracket is cleaned up, it will go back on the engine.

Dave, just read your thread and amazed (and impressed ) with your determination. I’ve dealt with many similar conversations with my wife. Her argument is “if I only knew this about you before we got married”. My response...i did not have a means at that point to consider builds as I did not even have a job (30 years ago). Got my first job and the first project followed shortly behind :). Would be great to see some more pictures. Also, you mentioned doing a Weber. If that’s the case I have one for you if you don’t already have one. You’ve been gracious enough to help me out and hope to return the favor. And hate we will miss you at the summit, but hopefully you’ll make #3.

Hey Jim thanks.
Since my 2017 post there had been a lot of ups and down on the build. It went up for sale once and I sold some of the parts off and bought new ones.
Ultimately my wife and I had a long conversation about this 60. While she still does not like it, her last comment Sunday was, I cannot believe you are going to daily drive this, what do you have left to do? I walked her thought it and she said OK. Then work every night after work and as much as you can on the weekends as long as we get our time with you. Huge turn around.
I even talked to her about the paint, She said this. Do the windshield first and then get it painted (I will paint it with the windshield in)

Ultimately it will be a soft restore.
Where I am at now.

Floor Rust repair is done
Drivers side rear quarters are done
Ironman springs and shackles are on
Dobinson shocks are on.
New starter is in.
New plugs, rotor, cap and wires done
Seat covers with new foam are done
Interior is semi back together (new belts for the back are waiting)
Center console (iVault) is mounted an ready
Front ARB has been test fitted (will come off for the paint)
I ended up going with a Jim C carb and that has been mounted with a new isolator,
Cat and Cat back exhaust is done
Full floater has been rebuilt and is under the 60 now.
Brakes are done (still debating on the master)
upper tailgate replaced and all components transferred
new 4 speed shifter knob

What is left:

Passenger side quarter panel rust (just over the wheel well)
Driver rear cargo window channel rust (rust found window will be removed and repaired)
Tie rod ends
New Power steering pump
Replace smog pump (old one is very oily)
Clutch master and slave
4- runner wiper upgrade
Wiper arm caps (from Trail Tailor)
Finish replacing all rad hoses (water pump is 8K old so it stays but a spare will be held)
Stereo system
Headlight harness and new headlights
Wire up driving lights
install recurved Dizzy
New fuel pump
Replace all vacuum hoses
New Belts
Install long range tank
Full oil change (engine, trans , transfer)
Set timing
Recharge AC
Windshield
Paint
Clean interior after paint and clean headliner
Install dash cap.

That is about the list. Most of it can be done in a weekend or week if I stop running into issues like needed to drill out broken bolts (smog pump mount had one broken and one holding it on)

I will be taking as many pictures as possible in the next weeks and showing better progress.

So I am getting all of the hoses for the long range tank to install it in the next few days.
Mine is made by LRA out of AU.

Question Originally they came with the following.
1 x 6mm CMP hose @ 1000mm long
1 x 6mm CMP hose @ 1350mm long
1 x 6mm CMP hose @ 1500mm long
1 x 12mm CMP hose @ 360mm long
1 x 10mm fuel hose @ 400mm long
1 x 51mm fuel hose @ 340mm long

My research is showing CMP hose is a manufacture out of AU and is a type of reinforced PVC designed for gasoline.
When I looked at it on my tank, it is rough and hard and needs to be replaced.

Mapping this to imperial
6mm = 1/4"
8mm = 5/16"
10mm = 3/8"
12mm = 1/2"
51mm = 2"

The questions is anyone who has installed the Man-A-Fre tank what fuel lines did it come with?
Where they just the flexible fuel line or this PVC type of line?

I do not know why they used this type of line and it seems to break easy when older. I am concerned the flexible (rubber style) will get crushed as it sits on top of the tank.

Use lots of anti-seize on the install bolts for that tank, you'll be glad you did if you every have to drop it again!
Thanks Ian and I will. I use the copper type just cus I have it from the Land Rover days.

I am also thinking of getting stainless hardware for this as well.

Absolutely zero work this weekend due to a death of a friend. I did manage to get my steering gearbox off to west Texas Offroad and throw some brackets into my degrease solution to soak.

So I bought some Krud Kutter and let the PS bracket and the smog pump bracket soaking for a few days.
Pulled them out tonight at wow just needed to dry them off and paint them.

That swirling black mess was all of the oil and crap that it lifted away without needing to scrub anything. First time I tried it and I am now a solid customer.

F2DF49EC-A1DE-463C-9086-F0646A2F9DB1.jpeg

10845EF3-9E2D-49CF-9194-4FE36E1CD126.jpeg

6233F4A2-347D-45BC-8838-2874E38CF8DA.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom