Builds Keeping another on the road- My Blue 1986 FJ60 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK this title may change a bit later. Get ready for a book

So earlier this year I bought a 1986 FJ60 from northern New Hampshire.
I was on the lookout for a Blue FJ60. While I was not picky on the year I was on the color.

Being from Canada originally, my very first Land Cruiser was a 1983 Blue BJ42. While mine was a 5 speed, My second BJ42 was a 82 and this was a 4 speed although red it was still cool.

When I moved to the US I was forced to sell it as I could not import it in.

I now live in Northern Virginia, have 2 kids and wanted another Land Cruiser to build with my kids and go camping and fishing etc with it.
I looked at the 80 on up series and they just did nothing for me. So I hunted down this truck. Bought it sight unseen (other than pictures) was given a brief description on it and drove up and brought it home.

Upon arriving I looked at it and thought.....I must be crazy, what have I done.
So we loaded it up on the trailer and I drove back 11 hours. After the first 4 trying to convince myself I did the right thing I stopped and took a break. See I drove 10 hours up there and then turned and burned home.
With my stop I decided to look at all of the paperwork the PO gave me. I knew it had a new oil pan, and a new head gasket. Plus it had a new Rad. When I picked it up the PO said here is the engine rebuild paperwork.
So looking at the paperwork in had, sure enough it had the following major work done in the last 6K and 3 years ago (it was not driven much)

Engine complete rebuild
New Clutch
Complete front end rebuild including bearings, disks, calipers and brakes (it stops real well)
New Rad
New Oil Pan
New Carb
New muffler and tail pipe
and a number of other things
Further digging showed me the Head was rebuilt at 20K.
I have everything bill showing what was done to this since 1997 including VIN and Mileage. for verification. Crazy!
The PO had "oiled" the chassis and it is completely rust free so a bonus.

With the 60 I also got a Hayes manual and a copy of a FSM.

So was more excited. I brought it home. My wife was not happy (she did know I was buying this).

Fast forward a few months. Wife forced me to sell it. I had a buyer and I had a terrible feeling and backed out at the very last second. He understood.

So now I have my FJ60, sitting in my Garage

Last weekend I started the work. Tore out the carpet, tore into the drivers wheel well arch and found what I knew was there; RUST!
Wheel wells will be taken care of by patch panels from Trail-Tailor and I will weld them in, Carpet. is also from Jason.
Drivers floor will need a bit of work.
The OME kit on the 60 (has the greasable pin inversion shackles) is a light/medium kit.
The rockers have been cut into and 2x4 sliders welded in.

As this will be an expedition rig/ daily driver (as soon as this is built I am selling my F150 and kill off that debt) the springs need to be changed, rig needs to be cleaned up, made sure it is 100% reliable, and something of a decent radio put in.

So the expected work.

Rust repair Floor and wheel wells
Replace upper tailgate (mine has a huge hold) sourced.
New Carpet
Dash cap (mine is cracked to hell)
Rear tire carrier bumper
Front ARB or 4Plus (not sure yet which, with the Deer in Northern VA, a good bull bumper is needed)
Eventually a Winch
Replace suspension (Ironman Med/heavy from Mark's Offroad, shocks and bushings from Cruiseroutfitters)
Repair small hole in drivers seat
Clean seats and replace bottom seat foam
New tires
Paint the little things like wiper arms
Mount roof rack
Clean up engine bay
DeSmog (not needed in VA)
Make sure all vacuum hoses are right (something seems off by looking at it)
Update headlights
Fix AC
Get and install a Long Range Tank
New Radio
Paint

I was going to Fuel inject it, but have decided not to at this time. I was then thinking Weber carb, but I will give my carb a chance.
5-Speed is the future, but next summer as it is not in the budget.

As I said this will be my daily driver. I go to Raleigh, NC once a month so this needs to be reliable as can be.
My F150 with the engine it has averages about 12MPG (towing like 5-7). It has a long range tank (38 or 40 gal) and my wife's Yukon XL gets better fuel economy.
I seee about 468 miles out of that tank full.
So knowing that and the FJ60 is about the same as the F150, I know fuel wise what I am in for. The FJ60 is about 230 miles out of the regular tank and I figure close to double that out of the LRT. So about the same as my F150 for fuel economy. the difference is I own the FJ60. The bank own the F150.

My budget is super tight and I will be doing 99% by myself. It expected all of this to be done Dec 1.
I will be posting my progress and questions I may have here on this thread with lots of pictures.

Starting with my FJ60.
Oh that 3 Gauge cluster is going ASAP.

Last edited:
Does anyone know who made these Headers and what years they are for (i know they are for a 2F)

Looks like a very good start - should be just right for what you plan to use it for.

I'm also building a blue '86 FJ60. It's getting a 3FE from my '89 FJ62, a new H55f 5-speed, an OME suspension, and a Warn 8274-50 winch. I'm swapping over a lot from the FJ62, so I'll have power windows, door locks, and mirrors plus rear shoulder harness seat belts and rear headrests. It's slow going, but I'm doing 99% of the work myself. Keeps me busy and out of trouble.

I believe those headers are the tri-Y headers by Downey Specter, 3 into 2 into one. Just referenced from a 2000 Specter off road catalog.

Good thing that you kept her, eventually the:princess:, you and the family will be happy that you did.

Thanks All. First, thanks on the headers. I will paint them and leave them on the shelf for now.
Maybe one day i will change them

Also I agree on the Keeping it. Very happy.

Now for this weekend (no pictures) i pulled out all of the wire that did not come with the vehicle.
I PO did not wire very well. Wrapping wire around a fuse and pushing it in is a fire waiting to happen.

Found out that a AutoMeter OilPressure gauge was installed, as well as a mechanical water temp gauge. While I am not a fan for the Silver rings, I plan to keep both as they are good indicators of issues.

Next thing i discovered, it seems while my 60 has never been converted to R134 the system is empty.

So the question now remains, should i get it converted to R134 now that it is empty?
I am planning on replacing everything I can (AC Condenser is a challenge).

Next week all of the Metal arrives for the rust work, so Picture will in inbound with the repairs. You can judge my welding skills (LOL)

For all of you guys who think that spraying on bed liner on the hood or anywhere else on your 60 is a great idea and looks cool, think about the next guy.
Did this over the weekend

That stuff with older paint is like glue. Nothing short of a grinder and a flap wheel works.

Now to do the sides

LOL... think most of us plan on keeping these trucks for the remainder of their life. Plans for the hood?

So far sand and paint back to original color the 60 will get a whole paint over once i clean the sides and finish the wheel well rust repair. That starts this weekend.
I will not be putting any black decal or paint or anything. The hood aside from the mess it looks, is actually very straight.

Well it seems my welding skill are very rusty.
Welded up part of the holes in my floor. This being the biggest. While they are not pretty they are holding very well and there is no light through underneath.
Fortunately I have several others to weld up to practice before I start on the wheel wells.

I am far from rich, so this is being done with a Eastwoods 135 Mig using an Argon/CO2 mix.

So originally I was going to build my 60 like i always wanted
ARB up front, swing away bumper in the rear, snorkel, roof rack, roof top tent etc.

Plans have changed (i will have alot of that up for sale tomorrow)

Now I will be building my rig to be as stock as possible

the Ironman Med/Heavy springs are already on and are not coming off.

Now the question. Should I stick with 33" tires or move down to 31"
I ask as this will be my DD and I will be keeping the 4 speed for now.
While i have a set of 4:11 pumpkins on the shelf, I do not have the time or money to have them rebuilt.

So need some thoughts on this.

33 or 31 for DD (will be BFG AT)

Is that a 2" or 3" lift?

If you're not going to wheel it and just want it for a DD... I'd go 31s pending what lift you have. If a taller lift.. for looks...33s but it'll be more sluggish.

I love my stock height and 30s, pretty darn fun around town.

J

Last edited:
it is a 2" per Ironman. It has anti inversion shackles as well but these came with the 60 when I bought it.

The front leveled off from what the flat OME light springs were.

I am thinking the same on the 31s they will look good enough with the springs.

I will wheel once in a while, just not enough to justify the add ons and more. Life changes recently.

it is a 2" per Ironman. It has anti inversion shackles as well but these came with the 60 when I bought it.

The front leveled off from what the flat OME light springs were.

I am thinking the same on the 31s they will look good enough with the springs.

I will wheel once in a while, just not enough to justify the add ons and more. Life changes recently.

I sent you a PM on the snorkel.

J

Since I have torn a muscle in my back been a little slow and 2 weeks behind schedule.

Today pulled the old cover odd the passengers and installed new foam and cover.
What a pain in the ass. Drivers and rear left, then the door panels.

Drivers will wait till after paint as I do not want them damaged.
Rears start tomorrow.

20161121_210256.jpg

20161121_210320.jpg

Last edited:
Oh that is a new Cruiser Corp cover (the picture was not good, but it is 100% clean and new) and the SOR foam.

The pain will be worth it. |re you planning on painting just the hood or the whole truck?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom