Just purchased this gem in eastern Oregon. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I need to make a trip to Salem. My BIL and SIL live there. Do you think they’d do a full ‘63 FJ45 SWB exhaust - head to tail - for that? Did you have to have your rig there or were they able to build it off of spec?

I think it should be close to what I paid. maybe a bit more for the extra length.
I dropped it off, and he had it ready the next day. Just make an appointment and he will let you know time table. But he can do it in one day.
Tell him Angelo the landcruiser guy sent you... :)

Installed a set of bluetooth speakers with am fm, and usb. Designed for a motorcycle, they are loud. but not alot of bass. But that'stoo be expected.
About 100 bucks on Amazon. Had to get creative with mounting.

20180615_215521.jpg

Hard to believe this truck lives in Oregon. You can't find a more rust-free car in California.

I have been hesitant to reply to this because Oregon is a honey hole for land cruisers. But Cruisers survive in Oregon for 2 major reasons. They don't salt or reall do much at all to the roads in winter and east of the cascades is very dry. I have been picking here for years and found some amazingly rust free rigs on both the east and west sides of the state. You are more prone to see roof rust in west side rigs but other than that....

I have been hesitant to reply to this because Oregon is a honey hole for land cruisers. But Cruisers survive in Oregon for 2 major reasons. They don't salt or reall do much at all to the roads in winter and east of the cascades is very dry. I have been picking here for years and found some amazingly rust free rigs on both the east and west sides of the state. You are more prone to see roof rust in west side rigs but other than that....
True. My '64 FST is really very dry and solid, despite 54 years all in Western Oregon. Pretty much just rockers and a few floor patches. I've never had a lot of problems with rust over the years I've played with old cars in Oregon. Even those that are notorious rusters.

So...

After lots of fiddling around with her, I can proudly say she is a daily driver.

I'm installing fuel injection on all my restorations from now on. Best mod you can do to a 40 in my humble opinion. Really brings out the life of the old engine ...

Just scanned back to see the TBI installation, must have missed that. Any more build details on that? Maybe a separate thread? What dizzy did you go with?Thanks.

I installed the AFI kit that came with a distributor. it's a small cap with separate coil.
It took a minute to get it dialed in. Mainly the issues are vacuum leaks. If you seal it up well, the rest is pretty straightforward. Also you need to set the timing at 0 degrees through a particular process. The ECM takes over from there.
I've driven 7 cruisers with stock carb engines, this outperforms them all.

Took her up to a local vineyard. Been driving her everyday. Performing great. The Fuel injection is just soo nice I can't get over how much better she drives. Through some half doors on that I had laying around for years, also added a bikini top that's pretty beat up but functional. prob going to buy a new one.
Next bit of work will be the back half of the inside tub. Going to pull the roll bar, seat belts and fuel tank stuff. Then clean it up as much as possible, then sand with 80 / 220, then prime, then sand with 400, then paint the wheel wells with single stage urethane, then do the floors, with tinted raptor. I may end up doing the entire front and back at the same time. It's just a matter of how much time i will have to get it done. The front is considerably more difficult than the rear with the heater, tranny hump, a patch thats needed, seats, etc.

:cheers:

20180702_081858.jpg

Did you go back and take the previous owner for a ride.. cruiser karma...

Did you go back and take the previous owner for a ride.. cruiser karma...

Not yet... But definitely will once the interior is fully restored.

Finally got some of the interior work done this weekend.

floor.jpg

Cleaned out the interior, and eventually removed the gas tank and heater.

The floors under the tank were as expected. 40 years of junk.. Also found a 12 guage shotgun shell and a .38 round. (both live)

dirty floor.jpg

So I got to cleaning... First hit it with the shop-vac, then sprayed it down with cleaner degreaser, then pressure washed it with my 3k PSI washer.

clean floor.jpg

Amazing how little rust this rig has... So after cleaning I decided to go ahead and raptor line the floor up to about the foot wells of the front passengers. (just under the front seats and back to the rear sill) Sanded it with 400, then hit it with some Upol adhesion promoter.

Color looks off, but it's pretty close to the correct mustard.. Maybe a bit lighter. I kept the wheel wells the way they were. After cleaning they look pretty good, and add that nice patina. The floor on the other hand was pretty ugly and had to be prettied up a bit.

raptor floor.jpg

Not pictured... I cleaned / sanded primed my gas tank cover, then shot it with 3 coats of single stage 532. Then installed it when it dried.

Tonight I will get the seats installed so I can get her back on the road. :)

Gas tank cover installed...
Installing a real stereo as we speak..

20180801_215127.jpg

Update*
Been working on her for the last month or so.
  • Installed a HFS 2.5 inch lift with 1.5 inch barbell shackles
  • New 33 x 10.50 BFG AT K02s on new OEM steel wheels
  • Affordable fuel injection Full TBI kit with Dizzy
  • Pulled the seats, and reupholstered the fronts
  • New rear OEM tail light lenses
  • New front grill badge
  • New apron badges
  • Powder coated and installed the original front bumper and rear bumperttes
  • New OEM upper dash pad
  • New DashMan lower dashpad set
  • New Radio delete plate
  • New OEM rear view mirror
  • New pass side rear view mirror
  • Powder coated in pewter the OEM center console, and fuel intake cover
Still more to do, but she is looking good, and driving great. (also, triple stage buffed and polished her ORIGINAL paint)

View attachment 1723134 View attachment 1723135

This looks incredible. Can you provide any more info on how you detailed that single stage paint? I found an old auto geek thread that said to wash, clay, wash, dry, and then do a couple overnight soaks in Meguiar's M7 buffed with a MF towel between each soak. Then go to a polishing compound from there if needed. Finish with a wax.

Congrats on that wonderful find. Enjoy the journey!

This looks incredible. Can you provide any more info on how you detailed that single stage paint? I found an old auto geek thread that said to wash, clay, wash, dry, and then do a couple overnight soaks in Meguiar's M7 buffed with a MF towel between each soak. Then go to a polishing compound from there if needed. Finish with a wax.

Thanks!

It was a three stage polish. And yes, I washed it, then clayed it, then washed it, but didn't do the soaking step. Used mequiars 105, then 85, then 205 polishes. Applied with a dual action buffer, with three different levels of pads. Course, Medium, and Fine. (7 inch foam pads)
It was about a 10 hour job total. Even did the roof top. The paint really came back alive.. I was very pleased.. I will probably do another clay bar / 205 polish in the spring time to keep things looking great. ...

I did also wax it with a meguiars wax, but forget which type...

I also treated all of the rusty areas with Locktites Navel Jelly. It seems to have sealed up the rust, but now after a few months, another coat looks to be needed in the near future.

Last edited:
Thanks!

It was a three stage polish. And yes, I washed it, then clayed it, then washed it, but didn't do the soaking step. Used mequiars 105, then 85, then 205 polishes. Applied with a dual action buffer, with three different levels of pads. Course, Medium, and Fine. (7 inch foam pads)
It was about a 10 hour job total. Even did the roof top. The paint really came back alive.. I was very pleased.. I will probably do another clay bar / 205 polish in the spring time to keep things looking great. ...

I did also wax it with a meguiars wax, but forget which type...

I also treated all of the rusty areas with Locktites Navel Jelly. It seems to have sealed up the rust, but now after a few months, another coat looks to be needed in the near future.

Thanks. That's a lot of work but it paid off. Did you do your polishing routine right over the rusty areas? Did you notice any extra paint come off in these areas while running the buffer on them?

Thanks. That's a lot of work but it paid off. Did you do your polishing routine right over the rusty areas? Did you notice any extra paint come off in these areas while running the buffer on them?

Actually not really. Some paint did show up on the pad during the first two steps (but not much) the paint in some areas was (is) pretty bad. Especially around the gas filler door area. But it just adds to the cool "patina" of the rig. When I hit the rusty areas with the process, they behaved pretty much like the painted areas.

I haven't heard of the locktite naval jelly before. You used that to remove the surface rust before the detail? Or you used it post detail to prevent rust from reappearing? I've heard of people using a light coat of boiled linseed oil to prevent surface rust post detail.

After all stages, but before the wax.
I think the blo might be pretty cool. I may give it a try instead of the naval jelly... or try both in different areas and see which performs better...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom