Izzy's amateur hour (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bummer on the tree.

The teflon seals are part of the reseal kit for sure, I installed them when I went through my 80 box on Moonshine. I think I got my reseal kit (with 105 sector shaft) from Akella on the forum.

That what happend when you let your wife drive!!! IT WAS YOU!!!!???? Edit: That is what happend when you let your wife in the car!!

I have the extra lower gate in matching green.

That one is black. I have one but is not green. If you are not picky i will get them out just for you.

Got the Superwinch Talon 12500 synthetic ! Installed this afternoon, it has tight clearance on the bumper, but it did fit. Will finish installing the line tomorrow.

8ED4DE11-113E-4CA6-936C-51D8D79D934F.jpeg
29B58EDA-BA6D-461A-A662-CDBB7622ED85.jpeg
48E2A301-EC48-400D-A8DD-95359A95037F.jpeg
791BE6B9-B149-43DA-8FDE-88A079F57C99.jpeg

Last edited:
How many winches have you had now? Is that the 3rd? Any input to add that would affect other peoples buying choices?

Poor construction?

Izzy's swapping winches like @weejub swaps vehicles.

How many winches have you had now? Is that the 3rd? Any input to add that would affect other peoples buying choices?
Poor construction?
My third, and not my last. First was Engo, winner of 4WD magazine shootout for best bang for buck. That one failed during warranty so they replaced all parts. The TigerShark is good, great actually. Used it in demos and 2 recoveries. The talon has a much larger speed with no load, meaning after a demo I can stow the line quickly, under load the speed is about the same. And I wanted a change. May have this for a year and then get a Ramsey, will see what the boys who used them daily say. Then sell the Ramsey and try a Warn (with lightbars and bedazzled cowbells like a jeep), then sell the Warn and get.... whatever. Never a Badlands though...

Its like HAM radios, buy them, use them, learn them, sell them and buy another one... Same thing I did with race cars, 12-16 months and change. Nothing wrong with any of them, just wanted another one. Same thing with my girlfriends.

By the way, Engo has been redesigned to prevent the issue I had, weakness on seals.

Hmmmm, I prefer my models to be slim and long legged, but to each his own, not judging :rofl:

Line is in. MPretty....

D7E913A1-9D18-4991-BF94-651F4377DFF4.jpeg

Last edited:
They need to make that thimble in bright red, so it looks like a tongue sticking out LOL

Is the extra blue cover a tree protector or suppose to be on the first line on the drum to protect against heat? I have heard both ways.

Is the extra blue cover a tree protector or suppose to be on the first line on the drum to protect against heat? I have heard both ways.
Well, both ways are wrong. All Superwinch winches use external brake to avoid heat on the drum, not a problem with steel line but does affect synthetic line life. Thats one reason swapping a synthetic for steel on an old winch can be a bad idea if the drum brake is internal (most common design), and will degrade the synthetic fibers as they insulate the drum. Steel line dissipates heats very well, but also can dissipate body parts if it breaks. The blue cover is an abrasion resistance sleeve. it slides anywhere in the line you need it if, for example, the line is going over a rock, root, log, or other surface that could abrade the line. You can buy more of them and are easily replaced too of course.

And never use the winch line around a tree, use tree protector for that at least 3" wide.

Another good use for the sleeve is to keep it all the way out on the line so that when it wraps up it provides UV protection for the line itself.

Should not have said tree protector and would never wrap around a tree. ;<)

Where would you recommend on a Warn 12500? The winch is around 3 years old.

Not sure on Warn, they wouldn't be on my recommended list. And if you do mount a Warn, you need to meet the minimum lumens capacity of light bars mounted upfront

We had no issues with the warn winches in the races.

Red factor 55 tongue.

(Light bar and roof rack now removed.) ;<)

100 red.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom