Builds “It’s only an axle swap and a motor swap” aka AK2AL aka Dream Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What year LX did you end up scoring? Does it still have any AHC left on it? How many miles?

Those are pretty nice engines. I threw new plugs in the :princess: LX last week. Getting ready to wire in some outlets this weekend. Great Cruiser...

2001. No parts left. The guy before me cleaned her out pretty damn hard and then I pulled the drivetrain. Have a transmission and Tcase for sale...

I’d DD a 100/LX470 for sure. The just don’t tow like I need them to. 4.7ls are butter smooth.

Respect - an important part of project prep is proper contemplation.

Why not throw them boxes in there? You've got the boxes and you have the real estate...

-proper contemplation- I like that.
Boxes are going in.

The other option wayyyy before all I bought all this stuff was to get a bellhousing from Dello, a H55, and a cruiser case. Didn’t have any luck getting in touch with Dello, H55s are like $3500+, and this is just something a little different. It’ll all work out.

2UZ with a clutch!! Woot woot! Going to be badass!

only waiting on the clutch fork to arrive to bolt it all together and see how she fits. Somehow it got missed in the last order.

The whole setup is about 17” longer than a H42 and split case. Will have to measure the 100 series trans/case tomorrow.

I have owned and wheeled multiple trucks that cost less than the shiny parts in these pics. The one in my avatar and where I was dubbed “TachedOut” as a matter of fact. It’s only money I guess. It is the dream build. People spend wayyyy more on side by sides, harleys, or bass boats.

NWToys 2UZ heavyweight flywheel
LC Engineering Dual Comp Clutch Kit
NWToys bellhousing
Marlin Crawler built R150F (1989 Hilux)
MC V6 trans to 23 spline gear case adapter
MC 23 spline input front case
MC dual case adapter
MC 23 spline input rear case

5FC7B087-8F3A-4F9B-80CF-5265CE2C82EF.jpeg

70445A34-12B1-4B51-BAD0-27062E224DE9.jpeg

9CEA24F8-E3E5-42F0-BEEF-BFF8334F2BAF.jpeg

Last edited:
Worst case, I get rid of the doubler.
That’s unacceptable.

Measure from your bellhousing face to the shifter centers and the drive shaft yokes and I’ll get out to shop today and try to get you some measurements on mine to help get you a ballpark idea if you’ll be able reach the rear most shifter from the front seat or have a rear drive shaft.

Just thinking out loud, but couldn't you fab up some linkages for a twin stick arrangement, bringing them up closer to the driver?

yes, there is a way. I’ve seen it done before.

waiting on one damn bolt and the clutch fork to set in the truck. May just go ahead and bolt it together and pull the trans off again later....

Woohoo! Parts showed up! Now to drive 20 min each way to get them!

my set up is 6” longer than a 100 series auto and Tcase and only about 3” longer than a stock 80 trans and Tcase. It’ll be fine.
I thought you are building a 55?
How much longer is it than the stuff you pulled out?

I “may” have had to pull the trans back off to put this spacer on behind the pilot bearing.
I “may” have had to build a slide hammer to get bearing out.
I “may” have had to pull the trans adapter off to press the collar in another 1/8”.
I “may” have wasted 2 hours doing this.
But maybe I didn’t!!

the 2UZ starter is in a odd location. It stays out of the way of mud, water, and exhaust, but you have to pull the intake to replace one. I went ahead and did it now when the engine was out. Saved a lot of cussing being on in a random parking lot in Alaska or Colorado. Still took me 1.5 hours. I “may” have dropped a bolt and had to pull the intake back off to get to it. But, maybe I didn’t either.

did a lot of measuring. Going to lose my cup holder for sure :frown: may be able to save center console.
motor mounts have to go back a solid 9”. Going to use the 80 frame mounts and motor mounts and modify the 2UZ motor side just a little.
Looks like I will a solid 3-4” between the fan and the radiator. It’s all coming together.....

27BE26F9-E2A5-4A7B-9F38-8077E2AC75FB.jpeg

5D1AFB3F-636E-41B5-8905-710FBD7123C1.jpeg

EA6B9F56-3716-4C7F-ADF6-E1060B90D486.jpeg

994E1DC5-0531-4AAE-B2A5-D67F72F01D73.jpeg

Have you considered an electric fan? Seems like a slim electric fan would save you a couple of inches at least.

i think I’m default mechanical fan for the simplicity but I’m not anti-electrical fan.

I really need to order a radiator and decide on fuel pump set up and get it going. Put it on the list!

I've read both positives and negatives of these dual-pass radiators - mostly positive, though. I'm planning to put one on my 40 this summer. You can't beat the price!

I've read both positives and negatives of these dual-pass radiators - mostly positive, though. I'm planning to put one on my 40 this summer. You can't beat the price!

29” seems wide? Does that fit? But I haven’t measured at all. It’s good that it’s needed sooner than later!

3"-4" seems like a lot of distance between radiator and fan. I've only run 1.5"-2" on both my SBC setups with no issues, even without a shroud. Refurbed stock radiator. Only heating issue ever was at the North Rim Pig Party and that turned out to be a faulty radiator cap.

Champion makes a 22" core width, but I couldn't find it on ebay. Here's another that's not as wide. The Ford one is about $50 cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom