Is this a dumb idea? Rocker panel replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

diesellibrarian

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi -

I am doing some bodywork on my FJ62, and both inner and outer rockers on both sides need work. I had a thought that rather than build new rockers out of sheet metal, what if I installed some square tubing instead? I was thinking I would cut it lengthwise at an angle to replicate the profile of the stock rocker, and weld some sheet metal over the opening. I want it to have a stock look.

Seems to me that this type of rocker would be a lot stronger than stock. Not quite a slider, obviously, but much more resistant to impact.

I've done a bit of bodywork by now but am far from an expert. Does anyone see any potential problems with this idea?

Thanks!

@diesellibrarian , i 'm gonna say your thinking is correct. for the life of me i can't recall where, but i've seen a rocker repair executed in a very similar fashion. he had sectioned i believe a 2x4 .125 wall tube lengthwise. then nested the 2 sections some how or tother together to replicate the angle of the outside rocker. he didn't use any fillers akin to what you considering. i'll post it up if i find it

Hi -

I am doing some bodywork on my FJ62, and both inner and outer rockers on both sides need work. I had a thought that rather than build new rockers out of sheet metal, what if I installed some square tubing instead? I was thinking I would cut it lengthwise at an angle to replicate the profile of the stock rocker, and weld some sheet metal over the opening. I want it to have a stock look.

Seems to me that this type of rocker would be a lot stronger than stock. Not quite a slider, obviously, but much more resistant to impact.

I've done a bit of bodywork by now but am far from an expert. Does anyone see any potential problems with this idea?

Thanks!
Tubing will work but it obviously won't look stock so it depends on how "stock" is stock to you.

Thats what I did...

Mars-Juin 2008 032.jpg

006_6.jpg

005_5_0001.jpg

@diesellibrarian, there's the pic i mentioned earlier in this discussion. thanks @pistonpete , i was starting to get a head ache bangin' my head on the wall looking for that picture :hillbilly:

Ok, I wasn't the only one. I swear I downloaded those pics for future reference, but couldn't find them or remember where I saw them!

Did the same on a 1st generation Ford Bronco with great results and they did double as rock sliders.

Old post.

Did similar on my 2002 HZJ105.

I used 3x3" box, and sectioned it so the outer edge tapered in at the bottom by about 1"

I added round tube sliders to mine, with full intention they'd see action in the trail

I dropped the full weight of my rig on them many times when a wheel slipped off a rock etc. They are super strong if the are connected directly to the still structure and the base of the pillars.

I really like the approach piston Pete took with his. A lot less work than what I did.

@diesellibrarian , how's your rocker repair/rework going? i've got mine done structurally. just need the aesthetics looked after. 2x41/2-1/8th wall tube replaces the entire rocker from the sill down. will post pics once i get a camera/computer interface issue figured out

n oh yeah, it's been really warm :flipoff2:

Ironically it's now too warm! :flipoff2:

In all seriousness work has stalled on the Cruiser because I've been focused on renovating a house. But that is now done so I'll be getting back on the FJ62 bodywork in the next week or so! But before I do the rockers I'm gonna finish up the rear quarters.

I'll get on it soon, I promise!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom