Is anybody still interested in a center console? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Delta VS

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
deltavs.com
We've been working on one for a bit now, incorporating into our Cummins 2.8L FJ80 swap along with a bunch of other parts that you'll be asked for feedback on in the near future.

Most of our designs start in the virtual environment. We recently purchased a 3D scanner to help speed that process up.

full center console surfaces.JPG

Once we get all the essential geometry into the computer, we can use it to come up with the first approximations. Contrary to popular belief, 3D scanning is not quite a "blow and go" operation yet. There is either a lot time spent post processing, or a lot of money spent on software (and by a lot, think $20,000). Since we like to keep both of those categories as light as possible, we still use tape measure and calipers to verify basic scan info.

Once we consolidate this info, we start modeling what a product will actually look like and how it will function. We also verify fitment in the vehicle with basic scan data.

model in scan.JPG

A lot of our prototyping work happens in house, but for finer detailed things that involved a lot of precise sheetmetal, we do contract outside laser cutting and CNC press brake work.

IMG_0483.JPG

This particular design utilizes both mechanical fastening (through multiple pieces of sheetmetal) and welding in key areas for strength. The threaded mechanical fasteners double as mount points for future accessories, the layout of which will be published so folks can even make their own accessories (so you can have a two-bottle holder OR a single Thirsty-two ouncer holder). A mount plate inside will also be used so things like holsters can be attached. This is one of the big areas where feedback is actively sought.

IMG_0484.JPG

As you can see, the back side of the console has an easily adapted layout of threaded inserts as well. Each unit will come with a printed out sheet of both the front layout and rear layout, and we will have a pdf on our website when the time comes for that.

The prototype unit in these pictures has been installed in @swankstar's rig for fitment and drive testings. While he may be a short little troll type, the height has been verified by multiple drivers as being nice when on the road. It is quite cavernous inside, with lots of space to add shelves and cubbies.

If you've got any questions, ask away!

Really cool, I dont have any input or intention to purchase as my original is in good shape but thank you for sharing the design process with us. I am sure plenty here will provide the input you're looking for.

Two things piss me off about the oem console...

A bigger cup holder. None of my travel mugs fit in the oem cupholder.

Bring that arm rest over to the left so I can use it. I know it's afraid of the drivers seat and is there to make room for the one useless cup holder, but stick the cup holder on the rear of the console, or move it lower so the arm rest can be above my travel mug.

I'd rather have an arm rest that slides over or that I have to flip up to use the cup holder than have an arm rest that isn't close enough AND a cup holder that's useless.

Two things piss me off about the oem console...

A bigger cup holder. None of my travel mugs fit in the oem cupholder.

Bring that arm rest over to the left so I can use it. I know it's afraid of the drivers seat and is there to make room for the one useless cup holder, but stick the cup holder on the rear of the console, or move it lower so the arm rest can be above my travel mug.

I'd rather have an arm rest that slides over or that I have to flip up to use the cup holder than have an arm rest that isn't close enough AND a cup holder that's useless.

You need to visit the websit of @bhicks . www.bh3d.com

You need cupholders....STAT.

@Mandrake here’s a couple pics of prototype installed in vehicle so you can see size difference and how it fits. The idea with this thing is that it is MUCH more comfortable to drive with.

It does crowd the e-brake handle a little, that is getting address in final version (the next one).

8AE143F1-161C-4F9E-89FE-00A3A50A9F13.jpeg
B9EDF6CD-B9A1-4043-86E5-2E16B4170407.jpeg

A pic of it in place would help.
Looks huge.

Not a fan of the square corners on the lid.

Plan is to cover the lid with some nice leather to ease the corners.

i like it, huge = more storage spaces, which we can never have enough in the 80.
how about area in the front to mount accessories/power switches, and/or make room for a CB etc. etc.

Leather and foam. My Jaguar has parts covered with just leather that are just as hard as the plastic underneath them. Fortunately they're not surfaces you normally come in contact with.

You need to visit the websit of @bhicks . www.bh3d.com

You need cupholders....STAT.

I want those cheap ones with the gimbals that hang from the HVAC vents. My problem is, I only have five HVAC vents. The worst part was when I had hot coffee in the one on the vent under the steering column- I got rear ended and the hot coffee went all over my ding dong. Not a good day.

If this center console can keep my ding dong from getting burned, I'll buy one, STAT. :flipoff2:

i like it, huge = more storage spaces, which we can never have enough in the 80.
how about area in the front to mount accessories/power switches, and/or make room for a CB etc. etc.

I think you're talking about 'Stage 2' of this project, a replacement shifter console??

It looks sturdy... and that would be one of my requirements.

It needs to be able to support kids and dogs standing on it as they go back and forth between the rows (or stand on it to climb out the sunroof and up to the rack).

It looks sturdy... and that would be one of my requirements.

It needs to be able to support kids and dogs standing on it as they go back and forth between the rows (or stand on it to climb out the sunroof and up to the rack).

It's made from 14ga cold rolled steel, should be good with Andre the Giant standing on it.

I like it too, mostly. I really like the nutserts for mounting ram mount balls, etc, but not much of a fan of the overall square build. In my mind it simply does not follow the aesthetic of the interior. A rounded leather padded cover on the lid would help for sure, but how would the main body of the console look then? It also needs to cover the hole at the back of the shifter cover that is left when removing the OEM console. Fantastic start, jut not sure it is near enough for me to pull the trigger. Picky, picky.....:)

Last edited:
That looks good, once it's all covered and finished I'm sure more people would be interested, I took this route to make up for the lack of arm rest and it added more storage at the same time, FINALLY, I have an armrest! + Cupholders
What you got going on would work better for stuffing the CB in there.

I think it would be better if it had a shifter bezel with it and did away with the factory shifter bezel all together with additional space for power ports in a new bezel. I would also reduce the size of the rear part of the lid so that a cupholder for the rear passengers can exist while allowing folding of the rear seats.

@Delta VS Hey love the idea that you are making something like this. I'll be sure to follow. I know you mentioned you plan to upholster the lid, but what is your plan for the rest? Thanks!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom