Is anybody still interested in a center console? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Delta VS Hey love the idea that you are making something like this. I'll be sure to follow. I know you mentioned you plan to upholster the lid, but what is your plan for the rest? Thanks!!!!!!!!

It'll get powdercoated, if that's what you mean? There are some Delta VS colors that we will offer it in, or just a color that closely matches the TLC stock upholstery colors.

While I like what you’re doing, the minute this started getting leather / foam / radius edges - my “Spidey - sense” hit the big question-

How hard are you expecting to shake a guys’ piggy bank?

I’m not out to be a dark cloud, but many good ideas have gone belly up when the time comes to start collecting $$ for a finished product.

Can we get a ballpark of target $$?

While I like what you’re doing, the minute this started getting leather / foam / radius edges - my “Spidey - sense” hit the big question-

How hard are you expecting to shake a guys’ piggy bank?

I’m not out to be a dark cloud, but many good ideas have gone belly up when the time comes to start collecting $$ for a finished product.

Can we get a ballpark of target $$?

Not quite to the point of having costs finalized. There definitely won't be any radius edges, as that would require all kinds of custom tooling that just isn't going to happen. Shallower brakes on the top are in the cards so it will be more gentle around the edges though.

Stay tuned for info on cost. We have spent a lot of time doing contract product design work for others and have a pretty good sense for cost analysis and how it can affect the success of a product. This is more of a side project at this point simply because one of our principals owns an 80 (we love you guys, but this market just isn't that big) and will be priced appropriately. In short, we aren't looking to get rich off these parts.

I can imagine there is a lot of R&D that goes into stuff like this. Hard to turn a profit when you are not buying material in large quantities, etc. Maybe once the design work is done you can find some larger scale manufacturer. Personally I'd like to see something that is this size, but has more of a stock feel to it. Leather lid and maybe some sort of vinyl material on the rest. No exposed metal.

I can imagine there is a lot of R&D that goes into stuff like this. Hard to turn a profit when you are not buying material in large quantities, etc. Maybe once the design work is done you can find some larger scale manufacturer. Personally I'd like to see something that is this size, but has more of a stock feel to it. Leather lid and maybe some sort of vinyl material on the rest. No exposed metal.

That's definitely not what this project is focused on, it's leaning waaaaay more towards the utilitarian side of things. You bring up good points as to why, also. Something like what you're talking about could easily cost $1000+ to make on a small scale.

That's definitely not what this project is focused on, it's leaning waaaaay more towards the utilitarian side of things. You bring up good points as to why, also. Something like what you're talking about could easily cost $1000+ to make on a small scale.

Yea, I can imagine. Well I sure the market is stronger for your verison. Very cool side project on your hands though!

i like it, huge = more storage spaces, which we can never have enough in the 80.
how about area in the front to mount accessories/power switches, and/or make room for a CB etc. etc.
If they could mount some 12v charging stations with the wires to easily install them into a stock wiring set-up, that would be sweet. At least have a plan for how someone could run the wires if they wanted to do that themselves. Maybe a conduit of some sort that people could run whatever they want into it.

Beyond that, It looks a little "tool boxy" to me. What mates the top part into the lower part when it's closed? It's going to stress the hinges if that has to take getting shoved from the side without something holding it in place. Needs a flange or something on the lid. I would also like to see those corners welded up and there has to be a plan for coffee cups and bottles in the tray, or it's worse than the stock set-up.

Also, it's too big. It shouldn't press against the passenger seat like that. I would make it much narrower and worry less about it being an armrest. People could mount an armrest on the side of that if it's sturdy enough.

I love it! I like it being large, and steel. The size would allow for the mounting of my Ham set-up, as well as my cb. (Out of sight.... out of mind) Add that with the ability to secure weapons, electronics, wife’s purse, etc. and it’s a winner!...... where do I send my $$$?!

It looks well built, but seems very tall. While that certainly appeals to some, there are some questionable activities that I’m concerned about this impeding. The kinds of activities where a passenger may need to lean across the center console divide towards the drivers seat..... Is this design modular enough to have variable height?

Slight fit and finish adjustments needed, I’m sure you guys are addressing that. I would be in the market for something like this. Covering the gap in the shifter console with a seal or something would be a plus.

It looks well built, but seems very
Slight fit and finish adjustments needed, I’m sure you guys are addressing that. I would be in the market for something like this. Covering the gap in the shifter console with a seal or something would be a plus.

Good eye. No covering of anything, just adjusting angles and heights so it actually fits.

How close is it to the e-brake handle? Looks like a good knuckle buster right now.

It’s very close. The upcoming (hopefully final) version has brakes on those edges. Going to see if that alleviates the potential ouch factor enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom