Interior panel ideas. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The rear quarter panels, tailgate, and door panels on Grace have seen better days. I leaning towards grey stained 3/8 plywood for the rear quarters and tailgate. I'm at a loss for fastening them and looking for ideas. The old panels are shot. The vinyl, old carpet isn't worth salvaging and could use an upgrade. I'm thinking 6x9 speakers and some storage, some USB and 12 v sockets too. It's used for camping, but also a daily and general utility work. Carpet in the tailgate seems out of place as it's a work bench and a kitchen counter.
I just wanna hear what you all have done or what you think might work better. Not gonna do drawers, plan on sleeping back there but usually hauling dogs, gear, groceries, or home maintenance items.

If it helps, I created DXF files of the rear cargo panels and tailgate panel. Anyone with access to a CNC machine should be able to use the files to cut new panels, or modify them to your needs. As with anything for free, use at your own risk, but they worked well for me. But please use them for yourself. If you're planning to make money with them, please create your own files.

Let me know if you want them, just DM me your email address.

If it helps, I created DXF files of the rear cargo panels and tailgate panel. Anyone with access to a CNC machine should be able to use the files to cut new panels, or modify them to your needs. As with anything for free, use at your own risk, but they worked well for me. But please use them for yourself. If you're planning to make money with them, please create your own files.

Let me know if you want them, just DM me your email address.
Thanks. That's a great service you offer. I'm leaning more to the diy options. A CNC would be nice to have though.

I would use the ABS plastic instead of plywood for the rear cargo panels. For the tail get get a piece of the plastic material that they make cutting boards from and cut it to size.
I'll look into this. The cutting board tailgate especially.

the OEM attachment of the panels to the body work rely on the panels being two piece--a backing plate and a cover. The male snap secures to the backing plate, but you can't see it because of the cover. Years ago I made a replacement for my tailgate cover using thin ABS (backing plate) and vinyl diamond plate (cover). I looked pretty good when it was newly finished, but after several years the vinyl shrunk (or is it shrank?) and it didn't look so nice around the edges. I eventually replaced everything with the wagongear storage panels.

Here is a link with a picture of the tail gate cover I made: FJ62 Rear Carpet Panel on Tailgate - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj62-rear-carpet-panel-on-tailgate.19486/post-1130220

you can also replace the female side snaps with some kind of speed nut and you can use threaded fasteners to hold what ever--aluminum diamond plate, ABS, etc. but you will see the screws.

They are a little thin

can’t complain on quality and work like they are supposed to but another 1/8 inch would have gone along ways
Fiberglass...

They are a little thin

can’t complain on quality and work like they are supposed to but another 1/8 inch would have gone along ways
I agree. I love these but another 1/16" even would perfect the fit. next time I take mine off im going to just add some dynamat behind the spaces it could use some "pushing out"

The rear quarter panels, tailgate, and door panels on Grace have seen better days. I leaning towards grey stained 3/8 plywood for the rear quarters and tailgate. I'm at a loss for fastening them and looking for ideas. The old panels are shot. The vinyl, old carpet isn't worth salvaging and could use an upgrade. I'm thinking 6x9 speakers and some storage, some USB and 12 v sockets too. It's used for camping, but also a daily and general utility work. Carpet in the tailgate seems out of place as it's a work bench and a kitchen counter.
I just wanna hear what you all have done or what you think might work better. Not gonna do drawers, plan on sleeping back there but usually hauling dogs, gear, groceries, or home maintenance items.

On my tailgate I used King Starboard, aka Starboard, aka HDPE Marine Board Sheet. 1/4" thick. I used the tan which is sometimes called Sandstone. There is a gray color as well, plus black, and white. It's got a little stipple texture to it that helps traction.

Here's a post with a picture and more detail:

Post #19

I just did the tailgate and it has been great so far. Cleans easily. Would be good for the panels too.

It's cheap as it is... BUT... being in Utah, you'd likely need to get it shipped and suddenly it will get expensive.

On my tailgate I used King Starboard, aka Starboard, aka HDPE Marine Board Sheet. 1/4" thick. I used the tan which is sometimes called Sandstone. There is a gray color as well, plus black, and white. It's got a little stipple texture to it that helps traction.

Here's a post with a picture and more detail:

Post #19

I just did the tailgate and it has been great so far. Cleans easily. Would be good for the panels too.

It's cheap as it is... BUT... being in Utah, you'd likely need to get it shipped and suddenly it will get expensive.
What thickness did you use?

Pretty sure @Ian Crawford rebuilt his and they came out amazing.

Maybe it was @Comet who rebuilt his. Idk, it’s been awhile.

yup. That was me. @Ian Crawford has a beautiful truck already. Buster Brown, man i miss that truck. Buddies tell me that the guy who bought it is tearing around Instagram with it. I can’t look him up, it hurts too bad.

@MoaByte i just went to Home Depot and did some stained plywood panels. It’s in keeping with a vintage rig, and is relatively strong and was cheap enough to where I don’t mind drilling into it and modding it further down the road

16A79961-7F0C-4C57-9B96-817405A7325A.jpeg

D7DAA4B7-6ABD-40A2-8847-5519121ECC2F.jpeg

C3E912A1-F817-47B3-ADB0-25EAD17A81CB.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom