Installing Dash Pad Retainer and Panel to FJ40 Colombian Truck? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ackcruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
I’m Americanizing my restored 1976 FJ40 and considering adding a dash pad. Because my truck never had the dash pad, I need to first install both the panel and the retainer 55381-60010. If anyone has done this, is it possible to just rivet the retainer onto dash vs. welding it?

995CEBD1-941A-4F26-B2FD-2718F6EC5DB0.png

I’m Americanizing my restored 1976 FJ40 and considering adding a dash pad. Because my truck never had the dash pad, I need to first install both the panel and the retainer 55381-60010. If anyone has done this, is it possible to just rivet the retainer onto dash vs. welding it?

View attachment 2183884

It’s just spotwelded, I don’t see why rivets or better yet rivnuts wouldn’t work.

IIRCC you will need to fold the windshield down for this, or at least to install the dash pad itself.

Thanks @Jdc1 ...I like the idea of using rivnuts vs pop rivets. The metal used for the panel does not look very thick as illustrated in the below image. I was able to locate an OEM replacement of the panel from Japan. Here is link in case anyone wants to replace their own. I do need to source a retainer for the dash pad so if anyone knows a source let me know.

FJ40 Dash Pad Retainer.JPG

Did you receive the dash pad? I just tried to order it and Amayama rejected the order after I placed it.

@KeilOver I was referring to the part number 55381-60010. This is the panel that the pad sits on. I successfully placed the order. The dash pad is available OEM from Toyota Parts Deal. Here is link.

Just following up on my post to let everyone know that the Dash Pad Panel part #55381-60010 that was originally listed on Amayama's website is no longer available. They listed it, accepted my order, confirmed the order and then cancelled the order. If anyone has a used one please let me know.

Just following up on my post to let everyone know that the Dash Pad Panel part #55381-60010 that was originally listed on Amayama's website is no longer available. They listed it, accepted my order, confirmed the order and then cancelled the order. If anyone has a used one please let me know.

i have two in Burbank. 818-953-9230 to follow up.

.....aaaaaaand you just described while I dislike dealing with Amayama and Mega Zip... I think it's more shoddy web development/inventory control than deliberate bait and switch, but the resulting feeling is much the same.

I've sort of resigned myself to a "if it's too good to be true" mentality. Not saying it's not worth a try, but my suggestion is to just assume the parts are NLA and get used to the idea of having your cash tied up for a bit if they accept then later reject the order. Coincidentally, I placed an order for a HZJ75 transfer lever boot assembly from Megazip about a month ago and fully expected it to get kicked back even though it was listed as in stock. To my amazement, I got the part in the mail just a couple days ago so it does occasionally work out!

Last edited:
@Ackcruisers I have a 02/1980 FJ40 dash that I can pull parts from if you are interested. PM me if you are interested in anything from this dash.

1580352711918.JPEG

@Ackcruisers I have a 02/1980 FJ40 dash that I can pull parts from if you are interested. PM me if you are interested in anything from this dash.

View attachment 2196666
Thanks all. Appreciate the help in getting this panel. @Engineer8000 is sending me this one.
View attachment 2201482
Sorry man, didn't think about taking a sale from you.

Gents, how is the panel removed, by drilling out spot welds?

@Ackcruisers this thread might have some useful info re the dash pad retainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom