Installed An Actual "Affordable" New Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been looking for a new front bumper since plowing into a girl who ran a stop sign. Bent my bumper up a little bit, but not too bad. Debated on building one, but I cam across this bumper for $225 and free shipping www.affordableoffroad.com/shop/affordable-prerunner-front-bumper-toyota-fj40-60-84/ Talked to Matt on the phone and they were very easy to work with. They've been in business for about 5 years now and this is currently the only product they have for the FJ40 but hopefully there will be more to come. They have a bumper with an aftermarket winch mount for a little more, but I got this one and have the factory PTO winch and it works great with it. I took the old stuff off and cleaned up and painted the frame rails and winch while I was doing the bumper. It comes bare metal, so you can powder coat, paint, or do whatever you choose. Probably would have spent more on materials building my own, so I thought this was a great deal at $225. Here's some before and after pics, let me know what you guys think.

IMG_20160222_172044149_zpscg19qnla.jpg

IMG_20160305_145814282_HDR_zpsghl889u3.jpg

IMG_20160305_145819827_HDR_zpsnvmexjh0.jpg

IMG_20160305_145825799_HDR_zpsmmj5bmer.jpg

IMG_20160305_145852615_zpsmk71jhgc.jpg

Nice!!

Did the D rings come with it at $225? Very affordable with the free shipping. Did you have to space up the rear of the winch? I did because of the added thickness of the bumper.

Another option that is a good deal is 4+. Dave is great to work with and has been known to give Mud discounts ( worked with me on the cost to make the shipping reasonable) making it a very competitive price. Super clean design with a proven track record. I just put this on yesterday. It was very affordable given that he gets them bent to fit the frame horns so that they fit right over them. I asked him to finish the ends old school like the my friends Mitsubishi jeep.

There's no way I could touch the price he gave me with my own time/materials factored in. Let's keep these small shops busy!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Here's a shot from the 4+ site of his version of the bull bar bumper.

image.jpeg

Pete

I didn't have to space up the winch. Everything fit perfect. I did have to drill out a couple of the bumper gusset plate holes, but that was just because mine got pretty bent up in the accident. I straightened it as best as I could then had to drill out the hole to fit. The d-ring tabs come at that price, and are actually welded all the way through to the back of the bumper. You can add the actual rings for $25 I think. The welding is all top notch. They have them listed on Ebay for $260, it's just cheaper to order them directly through their site.

Nice find!

Pete

With all the money you saved, you can buy some 'real' locking hubs. Selectros are junk.

What did you finish it with? The front end refurb looks great.
I wire wheeled down the frame and took the winch apart and did the same. Just bought some quality rattle can primer and matte finish black paint. Was gonna powder coat it or have it Line-Xed, but was quoted between $150-$200. We'll see how the Rustoleum holds up!

With all the money you saved, you can buy some 'real' locking hubs. Selectros are junk.
Selectros have held up just fine for me so far. I think I'll use that money saved for new tires or seats or power steering!

I like selectros because they are easy to grab & engage, even wearing mittens. Plus, it's easy to swap a busted lockout vs a busted birf.

Sweet deal on that frt bumper. It would cost almost that much in materials alone.

I like selectros because they are easy to grab & engage, even wearing mittens. Plus, it's easy to swap a busted lockout vs a busted birf.
Good point. I never know Selectros were so bad...

Sweet deal on that frt bumper. It would cost almost that much in materials alone.
I thought the same thing. Hopefully they'll make some other stuff eventually at that low price. I was thinking some tube doors, rock sliders, and rear bumper/tire carrier. I made the suggestion to them, we'll see if there's enough of a demand...

One item that no one is making is a skid plate for late model 40's......

Pete

How much and where did you have to trim to get it to fit? What do you think it would take to get it to fit with a pto?

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom