Installation of replacement leather (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ok i'm almost done with my lseat leather installation, i have a couple questions:

On the seat back panels, the original leather was held in by tiny staples, i didn't even try to measure but they were like 1/16" or something.
i don't have anything close to that short, all i have is 1/4", and it seems to be too long, i did a couple test staples and you can see where they come through. I looked on Amazon and didn't see any of those crazy short staples, anyone know a source for those? is a special stapler needed for those?

2nd question on the seat backs, i removed the magazine holder thing, and those star-clips that held were destroyed when removing them, is that a standard part or is there some other solution to hold those in place?

thanks,
Faron

When we did @pmccumber 's we used the 3M spray adhesive. We wrapped it around about an inch after cutting the proper V's so it would fold without bunching.

I think we ditched the seatback map holders entirely. If you want to keep them, you might try drilling through and using some screws and nylock nuts maybe.

When we did @pmccumber 's we used the 3M spray adhesive. We wrapped it around about an inch after cutting the proper V's so it would fold without bunching.

I think we ditched the seatback map holders entirely. If you want to keep them, you might try drilling through and using some screws and nylock nuts maybe.
as it turns out, the 1/4" staples were OK, with my test i must have been in a thinner spot, and maybe putting too much weight on it, either way, they're done and look good, i did use the 3M 77 adhesive, and made the cuts on the back very similar to the factory pieces. It is sort of a challenge to get them lined up equally so you have the same amount wrapped around on all 4 edges. i'm OK w/the result.

As for the map holder, i'm undecided, i do like the idea with the screws though, that would certainly simplify things.

as it turns out, the 1/4" staples were OK, with my test i must have been in a thinner spot, and maybe putting too much weight on it, either way, they're done and look good, i did use the 3M 77 adhesive, and made the cuts on the back very similar to the factory pieces. It is sort of a challenge to get them lined up equally so you have the same amount wrapped around on all 4 edges. i'm OK w/the result.

As for the map holder, i'm undecided, i do like the idea with the screws though, that would certainly simplify things.
I would like to see the completed installation so if you can post up some pics that would be great. I am pondering going with the lseat leather as well.

Thanks.

I would like to see the completed installation so if you can post up some pics that would be great. I am pondering going with the lseat leather as well.

Thanks.
OK, warning this is a pic-heavy post :)

first, I trashed 3 of the 4 star thingamajigs that hold the rear seat pins in place, the originals look like this:

I checked at NAPA and they didn't have anything like that, and I don't have time to hunt them down at Toyota. Here's my workaround solution, is this legit? They're on there plenty tight, and there shouldn't be much back-and-forth movement at all. $.73 for all 4 at Lowes.

ok, here are the seat pics.

While I'm happy overall with the installation, lseat did make a mistake on one of the rear seat bottoms, which they did correct, and the replacement also had a related error, which I just worked around. The issue was the spacing between the openings for the seat brackets, the right and left seats are different widths (they're like 2 1/2" different IIRC), the first time, the opening was wrong (it was the same width as the other rear seat), which totally wouldn't work, and then the replacement had the cutout for the bracket correct, but the cutout for the cloth cover in the wrong place, here's what that looked like.
to fix it, I just cut out the rectangle where the bracket is located, and sewed it into the gap you see above. no biggie to fix, but the lack of attention to detail is sort of frustrating.

Also, the cutouts for both of the seat adjustment controls for the front seats seemed to be a bit high. I did replace the bottom foam in both front seats, so maybe that contributed to them seeming high, but I also managed to break both of the plastic inserts trying to pull the covers down to the correct position.

I also added the carbon fiber seat heaters from Amazon. The only very minor issue with that was the switches appeared to need a 3/4" hole, but it was slightly bigger, which was quickly remedied with a little Dremel love.

one more thing-some of the other threads talked about the lumbar knob clip but I don't recall finding a good pic, here are a couple (sorry for the blurry one!)

Faron

it actually wasn't bad. I checked with one local upholstery shop and they quoted me 'about $700' to do the installation, so I opted to do it myself, and I'm glad I did.
as with so many of these tasks, if i had to do it again, it would take 1/3 the time.

Couple of links below to pics of the seat back leather install I did. You can buy the "one way" washer things at a dealer - cheap and easy. (Much harder cutting them off in the first place!)

Saggy Seat Back Nets

Seat Heater Switches

I know this is an older thread but just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post this info.

I just finished doing the front seats in my 80 and also installed heaters. Out of everything that I've done (and it's been a lot thanks to this site) this worried me the most!

I used Lseat just because of cost/budget reasons and I'm happy with their product.

Rob

IMG_5059.JPG

Looks Good!

The 3M 77 worked as advertised for me. Just get as much of the foam off of the back as you can.

I honestly have not even looked into the 2nd row install process yet. I was intending to put that off for a little while, but after getting the front ones in, I'd love to get the rear ones done soon now. Definitely keep me posted on what works for you.

Re the switch blanks, I think I just was unlucky with the one that broke. I was a bit more careful, but these went in without a hitch.

Where did you get this leather?

Where did you get this leather?
Try a forum search for Shane's leather or atlass. I'm not sure if he's making the kit anymore. Several members had trouble with customer service with him near the end, although the few times I purchased from him were all fine. I love mine. I've replaced all three rows with it.

Another lseat.com install. The leather quality seems okay, but I was unprepared to cut-out holes for the headrests, backrest mounting bolts and DS rotating knob. I was quoted $450 to install these but opted for DIY. In retrospect, I should have paid someone! It's not difficult but a PITA for sure, and I have wrinkles.

1vaWXL2OvkJVUCqwttj2714mgtr9f_Mu2UO4nJj80bTd-Sw2KoggSeIQmj-WwusHqvKh7E3H7zcWwP9HCNXRsTxUkTrX9o_5J_7CFgn1gzQlczc43DBodPSgED8-by7UmWXTJcT3Oqg4sbST4D-5cynEz2wU_OoPXLQRAd8SN53rXlnYh2q-AZZmfwXYRLgq-VxhDozjBF859N3sWyI7Kko5FLySVjxeE1dL66qKPR6ux00UKgiw8YOTZrpZtQFhrXitqxQuxlH4v4t7CqYYn0uCyxPzBSR0tQYznuNQhgBjGmrHJmIKJs3XsfCGM_s2uFP2yYV5xnqXDO5fy7JQtvqALiu2chY3sbv2KRXRc9cXrHO-RLSfK3zD_hBqdPEpI5-BDG1DLd80SlAr73_sjhFrMw-799mKAEn4I4GTFS3quf9blW0UQoUtpxcELg1uLz4SSJrhOpB-L-JdQSWINGldN73Tfwtzvrmt1nrOyckTq_9QUKsIk2AFN20RAFy3-IqXvxYMqF4qSuBWXvc-nQoji2Y_3-4PY1-gfh-BN8wmCX5_S3of-0G29Hav8N0DDPQWs1rgaupE7yYBgfFP1F9J6q27cPK7hdJfk3k4VKbCsIkW4rajBV8A3x-5RC4_JJ--tw610owhIEi1IEFPEFbM=w1222-h1628-no

Another lseat.com install. The leather quality seems okay, but I was unprepared to cut-out holes for the headrests, backrest mounting bolts and DS rotating knob. I was quoted $450 to install these but opted for DIY. In retrospect, I should have paid someone! It's not difficult but a PITA for sure, and I have wrinkles.

1vaWXL2OvkJVUCqwttj2714mgtr9f_Mu2UO4nJj80bTd-Sw2KoggSeIQmj-WwusHqvKh7E3H7zcWwP9HCNXRsTxUkTrX9o_5J_7CFgn1gzQlczc43DBodPSgED8-by7UmWXTJcT3Oqg4sbST4D-5cynEz2wU_OoPXLQRAd8SN53rXlnYh2q-AZZmfwXYRLgq-VxhDozjBF859N3sWyI7Kko5FLySVjxeE1dL66qKPR6ux00UKgiw8YOTZrpZtQFhrXitqxQuxlH4v4t7CqYYn0uCyxPzBSR0tQYznuNQhgBjGmrHJmIKJs3XsfCGM_s2uFP2yYV5xnqXDO5fy7JQtvqALiu2chY3sbv2KRXRc9cXrHO-RLSfK3zD_hBqdPEpI5-BDG1DLd80SlAr73_sjhFrMw-799mKAEn4I4GTFS3quf9blW0UQoUtpxcELg1uLz4SSJrhOpB-L-JdQSWINGldN73Tfwtzvrmt1nrOyckTq_9QUKsIk2AFN20RAFy3-IqXvxYMqF4qSuBWXvc-nQoji2Y_3-4PY1-gfh-BN8wmCX5_S3of-0G29Hav8N0DDPQWs1rgaupE7yYBgfFP1F9J6q27cPK7hdJfk3k4VKbCsIkW4rajBV8A3x-5RC4_JJ--tw610owhIEi1IEFPEFbM=w1222-h1628-no
4 years later and the DS seat is peeling pretty bad. I do not recommend Lseat!

@uscmas412

Can you share a photo? Did you get the full leather covers or the leather with vinyl/synthetic side panels option?

I think that I read somewhere that the synthetic material is the problem, not the leather, but it would be great to clarify that from folks with real experience.

Thanks,

@uscmas412

Can you share a photo? Did you get the full leather covers or the leather with vinyl/synthetic side panels option?

I think that I read somewhere that the synthetic material is the problem, not the leather, but it would be great to clarify that from folks with real experience.

Thanks,

Don't have a photo, my 80 is in the shop long-term. Here's the SKU from my shipping confirmation: S050211a

And a link to what pops up on their website: 1990-1997 Toyota Land Cruiser J80 Custom Real Leather Seat Covers (Front) - https://www.lseat.com/products/1990-1997-toyota-land-cruiser-j80-custom-real-leather-seat-covers-front.html

FWIW, the peeling is on the side panel but even the main panels are showing signs of wear. I've got maybe 15k miles on those seat covers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom