Saggy Seat Back Nets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a way to get the net cargo pocket off of the driver's seat back to tighten the net up? I couldn't find anything on search.

if you want a tighter, perkier, lifted look like when she was young, I would suggest a "net" lift, look in the yellow pages right under plastic surgeons. Just kidding. Ive had this problem in other vehicles from cramming too much stuff in there, im sure there is a way to fix it, maybe new netting or stretching it somehow and cutting some off. Im sure someone here has fixed one before, good luck.

Lazy searcher at the moment, but isnt' there just P/N to find.

EDIT: Being the elastic has stretched, not sure if there is anyway to tighten it up other than replacing.

Either tie a simple overhand knot in the bungee cord to shorten it, or some day replace the bungee cord. That's all that is sagging on mine.

DougM

Either tie a simple overhand knot in the bungee cord to shorten it, or some day replace the bungee cord. That's all that is sagging on mine.

DougM

Thanks-Does the net frame detach from the seat back? I have tried to pull it off to shorten the cord but am afraid to crack the seat back.

I've wondered the same. It seems to be set up to remove from the seatback panel only with the panel removed so you can get at some kind of fasteners inside. Sounds like we both did the same thing - kinda pull and tug on the thing experimentally and then gave up - preferring to have a knotted bungee rather than a cracked net holder...

I recall looking in the 93 manual and not getting any hints. Perhaps someone who's taken their seat apart for something else can shed some light?

DougM

The back comes off and lifts/slide up after you take the two screws out the bottom. The hard part will be taking the netting holders off and not breaking the "toothy" washers that keep it on. You'll be able to see them though. Then just pull the string up, cut it, tie a knot and put it back in place.

Having said all that .. it would be WAAAYYYYY easier to just pull some of your elastic to the side and tie it in a knot to tighten it all up. I promise.

Good luck

:beer:

Bx

Thanks! I got the net frame off after breaking a toothy washer. Have glued the net frame post back in place after tightening the net. Thanks for all the help.

There was a thread on this a while back....if you pick the right search terms, it comes up - someone had a good fix aside from us who did the overhand knot way. Not being a search Nazi, but if you look, it's got some good info.

I remember a post on how to fix this that basically used a little clamp like the ones you see on the carrying cases for camping chairs or sleeping bags. You place the upper horizontal string of the cargo net through the clamp (you may have to cut the string) and then can sinch it down to however tight you want. I'll try and find the post if I can.

Thank you Cahill!

I used the cord lock solution for years, but replaced the bungee when I redid my leather.

It is a pretty simple (1 :banana:) job.

You need to remove the two Philips head screws at the bottom of the seat back panel to lift the panel out. Then cut away the tooth washers (I used a dremel tool/cutting wheel and needle nose pliers). Toyota stocks these washers, which are very inexpensive.

See this link for some pics and tips on getting the color to match

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/387307-seat-heater-switches-4.html

Some additional pics below
IMG_4044.jpg
IMG_4114.jpg

I don't have the part numbers for the washers but they are easy to identify if you are able to go into a dealer

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Some more pics I found that might be helpful

First is a closeup of the toothed washer, AFTER the install. You can see the plastic peg is a bit chewed up -- this happened while removing the original washers. The new washers went on and held securely nevertheless

Second pic is the finished seat back

Third pic shows how the bungee is secured to the plastic frame with a simple overhand knot.
IMG_4250.jpg
IMG_4073.jpg
IMG_4046.jpg

I'm attempting to restore the net bungie cord. The problem is how to remove the toothed washer in the photo above??????

I've seen advice to dremel off and use screws in the plastic pegs when reassembling, which is OK, but I'd really like to get the washer off in one piece and reuse if possible.

Does anyone have any experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom