Seat Heater Switches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installing Shane’s seat heaters.

[FONT=&quot]I installed the heating element with the two connectors on the seat bottom and the heating element with one connector on the seat back. Not wanting to risk shorting the heating elements, I used zip ties rather than metal hog rings in cases where they could come into contact with the heating element.

[/FONT] I used an Xacto knife to cut small holes in the seat cover through which I slid the zip ties.

After I had them all cinched down, I cut off the excess.

[FONT=&quot]On the seat bottom, I only needed to use one zip tie, because I could secure the outer points with hog rings without touching the heating element.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
IMG_3975.jpg
IMG_3978.jpg
IMG_4027.jpg

I wanted to make full use of the OEM connectors under the center console that run to the seats.
Center Consel Wires 1.jpg
Center Consel Wires 5.jpg
IMG_3967.jpg

Unfortunately, the OEM heaters are not configured the same way as the switches you get from Shane’s kits so you have to add a diode to the switch pigtails as Doug_w described. It goes on switch pin #1, the blue – black striped wire, with the silver band AWAY from the switch. Here are a couple of pics of how I added the diode into the pigtail:
IMG_4039.jpg
IMG_4040.jpg

Here is the schematic showing the OEM switch, added diode, and connections to/from the Bc1/2 seat connectors
IMG_4126.jpg

Next I needed to reconfigure the seat-side connector to match the carpet side connector that is controlled by the switch. The carpet side has 5 active pins, but the seat sides have only 2 on the passenger (power and ground for the electric seat motors) or 3 on the driver’s side (pwr, grnd, and seatbelt indicator). So I needed to add two pins for the high and low signals from the switches. (I used the power and ground from the power seats for the heaters.)

Here is how I tapped into the power and ground:
IMG_4032.jpg
IMG_4033.jpg

I added pins to the seat side connector for the high and low signals from the switches. I ran these to the Yellow (low) and Blue (high) wires from the heater kit. I got the extra pins from the junkyard. Most Toyota’s in the 91-97 range use similar connectors. I just hunt around the dash and kick panels until I find what I am looking for… costs me $5 for a dozen connectors and harnesses. Note: I taped off the power and ground from the heater kit since I already wired it into the seat motor power. The kit comes with an in-line fuse holder and 10A fuse. I measured the current draw and found it to be only about 4A.
IMG_4034.jpg
IMG_4036.jpg
IMG_4037.jpg

The heaters work perfectly. The only mystery on the whole setup is that the illumination bulbs on the switches do not increase/decrease intensity (like all the other switches do) when I turn the illumination knob. My guess is that they are not tied into the normal illumination circuit, but rather to a circuit that switches on or off with the parking lights.

Here is how the switches look in the center console:
IMG_4115.jpg

Here are a few more pics that might be helpful:

1. View of the knob and clip from the drivers side that tightens up the seat back. There was some debate in another thread as to the best way to remove the clip. I used these hooks and they worked perfectly
  2. View of the bottom of the passenger side seat showing how I pulled the heating element cable through
  3. View of how I reinforced the passenger side seat foam (right hand side) where it was wearing away. (I bought a new cushion for the driver's side.)
IMG_4060.jpg
IMG_4022.jpg
IMG_4019.jpg

Here are some pics of recovering the seat backs. I used a dremel cutter to remove the star washers. You can buy replacements at the Toyota dealer. On the first seat I used the 3M spray adhesive to attach the pieces that fold over (hence all the clamps -- this stuff takes a while to dry). If I had read the threads more closely, I would have learned that the hot glue gun is the way to go -- much fast application and a much stronger hold.
IMG_4048.jpg
IMG_4051.jpg
IMG_4054.jpg

Hmmm - I wonder why the harness on the seat side drops the two wires needed to run the OEM heaters? Does anyone know if there are wiring connecters within the seat that are not used? From looking at diagrams there should be two 2 pin connectors and one 3 pin connector inside the seat that the factory heater elements plug into. Anyone seen these?

Great question. I didn't notice them, but I hadn't thought to look for them

Excellent write up. This should be added to FAQ.

anyone with LX450 was able to find the female connectors under the console?
I took off the console the other day and was unable to find OEM connectors for the heated seats.
I have the switches!

Did you pull up the carpet and dig around?

TFT......

Tttt............

Mine were buried under the carpet - had to dig to find them but eventually pulled them out
Center Consel Wires 1.jpg
Center Consel Wires 3.jpg
Center Consel Wires 5.jpg

Great photos Chris. I installed my switches over the weekend (the easy part); still have to clear a weekend to dive into the new leather and seat heaters (gulp).

Thanks again for your help on my switches and heater wiring.

Andy

Does the LX450 have the switch outlets in the same location?

Chris and crew, I'm installing my new AATLAS1X leather and seat heaters this week; I've read and reread thru the info and pics in this thread. Should be a piece of...cake. :popcorn:

Pics when we're up and running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom