INFAMOUS 80 Series TLC CrawlerBox/Transfercase FAQ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i have a r150f tranny and a 80 t-case. tried to bolt them together but it wont work. bolt pattern is different. maybe swapping the tail housing of the trannies will work

Beside:
There is an Landcruiser HZJ 79,Diesel, with a R151F and a 80 Transfercase. From the factory.

Beside:
There is an Landcruiser HZJ 79,Diesel, with a R151F and a 80 Transfercase. From the factory.

What is the difference btwn the R150F and the R151F? is there a T case for a 151f off the shelf?

If I only had the time to dabble with this matter for a few weeks, we'd have found a solution by now (a whole lot of cutting and relocating I'm sure, BUT a solution none the less)

What if you consider changing axles, so now you have the ability to go a left drop on the front axle or center it out, same with the rear. Does this change anything? the Taco case is a left drop center output.

The r150f and r151f were factory fitment into 80s in Australia. They all ran same transfer case pattern. The minitruck r150f is the same box with a different tail section (and output shaft)

I know R151 are manual trannys behind HZJ105 Aus and here .. not not sure about R150 ( maybe behind 1PZ 70 series or Light duty series like LJ70 )

Would a W56 with dual cases from a mini fit or would that be too long.
Not worried about the engine that would go in front of that i've already got that worked out.

If it would fit it seems like a viable option as you can get the transmission, and dual cases with 4.7's in one of them for much cheaper than the marks box by itself and have a much lower crawl ratio to start with.

Tapage said:
I know R151 are manual trannys behind HZJ105 Aus and here .. not not sure about R150 ( maybe behind 1PZ 70 series or Light duty series like LJ70 )

R150, R151 and R154 are all the same casing, althoughthey all have slightly different ratios, they also have changes to the syncros and bearings. In aus, the 151 was used in all turbo diesels, the 1fzfe and 2uz. The 150 was used in 3f and 1hz cruisers, the upgrades to the synchros was supposed to be because of the torque of the more powerful motors

The lighter duty manual was the w series gearbox, which was used in the minis, 4 runners, lj70 (bundera)

The R150 also came out behind the V6 in the 4 runners over here, whereas the mini had to make do with the w series gearboxs across the range

Just my 2c, I could be wrong

Last edited:
R Box

I can show you this:

Toybox with a tailhousing from a R151F package,
out of a LC 70
7706591xql.jpg

I got this back on thuesday, from Marlin.I send it to them,
the US never got the right L-Cruisers.
This tailhousing is different from the
one that sitt behind the R151F with 22RE-Turbo.
My r151F package out of a LC 70
7716649eyj.jpg

Marlin, an inchworm person, or Atlas rep needs to speak on this matter and what an option is without saying get another truck/engine etc.

r151f came out of turbo trucks in the US. the tcase to fit this would be a factory 23 spline passenger drop case from said turbo truck.

how heavy are 60s that are running a mini case for a crawlbox? i still wonder if a mini case is up to the task of the weight of an 80 plus decent engine torque, deeper gearing, and large rubber.

The problem with this is the r151f is a MANUAL transmission...

Not a problem for some, if I could find a twin box solution that is feasable and easy as a mini one i'd go manual right then and there.

yes but if all that is needed is the tailhousing, then it doesnt matter.

is the A442f bellhousing removable? you could, in theory, swap bellhousings and run the r151f and two 23 spline cases with a 4.7 in the rear and have one hell of a truck. figuring out the manual part though would be a little tricky. research what parts interchange and run a clutch from a t100 or something. toyotas are like the modern day cotton gin.

yes but if all that is needed is the tailhousing, then it doesnt matter.

is the A442f bellhousing removable? you could, in theory, swap bellhousings and run the r151f and two 23 spline cases with a 4.7 in the rear and have one hell of a truck. figuring out the manual part though would be a little tricky. research what parts interchange and run a clutch from a t100 or something. toyotas are like the modern day cotton gin.

Well i've been toying with the idea of a mercedes diesel swap from 4x4 labs anyway but the only yota tranny he makes the adapter for right now is the W56 which would make dual cases doable but I don't know if the W trans would hold up well to the weight of the 80. :confused:

If he makes one for the R151 I would deeply consider that route.

All things considered I would prefer an auto...... but i'm not against a manual. That said there would have to be a crawl box available for me to do the swap for more control on the heavy beast.

I like my 1F and tranny. Don't mind new axles and shifting the location of the diffs if I needs to. Gas tank is already gone and I'll gladly take a cutting wheel to the floor.

What is the estimated cost to have someone create an adapter/input shafts to make a current Xcase/crawl box work (ideally an Atlas), or custom Crawl box X-case form scratch for the 80 as it sits NOW?

Its a big job, the entire trans has to be gutted, that's why I suggest just swapping trannys. People do this between the AW4 and 340 from jeep to yota and vis versa. The guys that want an atlas behind the 1fz just need to do what toojayzee did in reverse. Swap for a 340 and swap valve bodies..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom