INFAMOUS 80 Series TLC CrawlerBox/Transfercase FAQ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Low Gears are over rated. The 80 series is a crappy Crawler because its heavy and big, not because it has high gearing. :flipoff2:

My rig has Stock 4:11's T-case is 2.6:1 and with 37's i never feel the need to go slower.

Has anyone looking into swapping the tailhousing off a Jeep Auto (Aisin & Setup to an Atlas/D300) onto their 80 Trans? I know this can be done on the older Cherokee/Minitruck Transmissions.

low gears are over rated. The 80 series is a crappy crawler because its heavy and big, not because it has high gearing. ************

my rig has stock 4:11's t-case is 2.6:1 and with 37's i never feel the need to go slower.

Has anyone looking into swapping the tailhousing off a jeep auto (aisin & setup to an atlas/d300) onto their 80 trans? I know this can be done on the older cherokee/minitruck transmissions.

we know there big and heavy thats why we want lower gearing every little bit helps

Low Gears are over rated. The 80 series is a crappy Crawler because its heavy and big, not because it has high gearing. :flipoff2:

My rig has Stock 4:11's T-case is 2.6:1 and with 37's i never feel the need to go slower.

I beg to differ. i will go anywhere your rig goes if not more. The crawl box turns the 80 into a totally different beast.

Has anyone looking into swapping the tailhousing off a Jeep Auto (Aisin & Setup to an Atlas/D300) onto their 80 Trans? I know this can be done on the older Cherokee/Minitruck Transmissions.

That could be possible with an A343. As far as I'm aware, you can swap the tail on an a340 with an AW4 to end up with a d300 bolt pattern, you have to swap the tail shaft also, which is a huge PITA, so, I opted to just buy the adapter for my situation. The one thing i'm not sure about is the speed sensor in that rear housing, maybe everything will line up and all you have to do is swap plugs? Not sure. Again, i'm not sure how the a343 differs from the a340 internally, but, I was under the impression it was all in the tail section.

The other option might be to try to put a a340 behind the 6 cylinder. Since the the a343 came behind the 2uz, I can only assume the bellhousing bolt pattern is the same.

Cheers

How many 40 series were sold in the USA from 1964 to 07/80? (start of and end of the one-piece Land Cruiser transfer case era)

How many Orion transfer cases has Advance sold?

:meh:

The ToyBox behind the A440 was in Jason's (Weak-Link)carb'd 60. I hear he was unhappy with the power loss from the automatic. I'm a big Marlin fan but I wouldn't wait for a ToyBox for an 80. :meh:

If you were already used to the power loss, would it have been an issue? I have a Rodney's extreme II, so I actually have a power increase with my 3FE. Other than the poer loss, was there any other issues with his setup? I did not ever see, or find any issues ever being written up on his setup. i am sure alot of people would like to know. Thanks.

Would a W56 with dual cases from a mini fit or would that be too long.
Not worried about the engine that would go in front of that i've already got that worked out.

If it would fit it seems like a viable option as you can get the transmission, and dual cases with 4.7's in one of them for much cheaper than the marks box by itself and have a much lower crawl ratio to start with.

This COULD be much simpler than we think. based upon most of the stuff ive read over the past week, we may already have an option. IF the guy from yotatech was able to bolt up a a343 in place of his r150 and used his original tcase from the r150 then that means the mounting pattern is the same between the land cruiser tcase and the 4runner/taco case. that means marlins mc09 is a direct fit for the 80 series. all that is needed is a 23 spline crawlbox. i havent test fit any of the cases myself, so this is just speculation at this point.

edit: i guess you would also need gas tank mods, dual case skid, floor mods, etc.

Would it not be possible to install an oem sub tank and delete the main tank? Should be a quick way to get around the gas tank problem.

Would it not be possible to install an oem sub tank and delete the main tank? Should be a quick way to get around the gas tank problem.
Hangs to low for any serious off road use. Better off with a fuel cell in the back.

Better off with a fuel cell in the back.

Step 1: Complete

182604_10150090783487109_504382108_6530498_4404385_n.jpg

This COULD be much simpler than we think. based upon most of the stuff ive read over the past week, we may already have an option. IF the guy from yotatech was able to bolt up a a343 in place of his r150 and used his original tcase from the r150 then that means the mounting pattern is the same between the land cruiser tcase and the 4runner/taco case. that means marlins mc09 is a direct fit for the 80 series. all that is needed is a 23 spline crawlbox. i havent test fit any of the cases myself, so this is just speculation at this point.

edit: i guess you would also need gas tank mods, dual case skid, floor mods, etc.

So an MC09 would line up and you'd need to change the input shaft or an added crawl box that is 23 spline? Would it be difficult to have someone machine an adapter plate so that you can fit an Atlas?

What else would you need made in order to mate an Atlas? they offer 23spline cases, or am I missing something? (XCases, and crawl boxes are clearly not a strength of mine, YET), lol thanks in advance.:beer:

As for the Gas tank, skid plate and floor mods...anyone ready for this upgrade should be comfortable with a little cutting and fitting challenges.

spline count of the factory transfer case input gear?

spline count of the factory transfer case input gear?

I'm not sure I understand the question.

Are you asking for the spline count where the output shaft of the transmission goes into?

I don't have one sitting on the bench, but if the output shaft has 19 splines on it...

yeah it may not work without swapping the tail of a R150f. i need to do some more researching.

the other question is if a mini case is even strong enough for the weight and torque of an 80. the best solution for the 80 might just be investing in an adapter and the atlas 4sp. i think i would feel more confident in an atlas anyway.

i just picked up a set of 80 axles for a 97 runner im building as a mini "cruiser", when i get to the point where the tcase has to come out, i will take some measurements, or pull my 80 case too and compare the differences to cure my curiousity.

i have a r150f tranny and a 80 t-case. tried to bolt them together but it wont work. bolt pattern is different. maybe swapping the tail housing of the trannies will work

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom