INFAMOUS 80 Series TLC CrawlerBox/Transfercase FAQ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There are slight differences between the A440 and the A440F, I believe.

There is. The t-case adpater is totally different since the 60 series came with the 19 spline split case. The 80 series has a different t-cases, I believe the H2VA(or something like that). I believe the main housing is the same though, so it should be a matter of swapping out the back adapter plate. There is stuff hiding in that back housing, but I am not sure what it is. Also the 60 series tail shaft goes all the way thru the t-case, whereas the 80 series does not. The 80 has just a stub shaft which is also 19 spline, but I do not know if it is long enought to penetrate an added adapter and still have enough length to fully sit in a gear set. I have a t-case from a 62 and the back adapter, to try and see if it wil go on an 80 series A440F housing. I just do not have the time or money to proceed after that with anything right now, so that is why I have not dropped the transmission yet to look. The back factory adapter should be all that is needed to mount to a toybox, providing the output shaft is long enough to fully engage the Toybox gearset. It would be nice to know how much shaft needs to be left from face of adapter when you cut it on a 4/5 speed install, so that you can mount a toybox. That is information that I could use when I get around to it.

Cam over at Iron Pig has the 203 doubler attached to his A440(62 series). He took the adapter, from the the guy in colorado, that designed the 203 doubler for AA. It just would be nice too have more than just 2.00 gearing for that much money.

Is there anything that could be change out on a 203 double to increase the gearing?

Ok, Ive been thinking about this since 2007, 2008... After I was one of the early guys to put dual mini's behind a a340h (IW adapter and lots of trans mods), then behind an a340f (marlin bolt up, easy).

Ive also followed the early debates and experimenting with Frankensteining a34x's to find a toyota auto that will work behind a 1uzfe. Guys were swapping all kinds of goofy parts around, bells, tails, valve bodies, TC, pumps, etc. from everything from 4runners to lexus sedans. sometimes it took some modding, but was surprisingly doable.

Ive always "known" that the a34x series trans's were more or less modular. Bell, body, tail, VB.... So I always wondered why no one tried to swap the a340f tail onto a a343 and use marlins adapter.

From reading this thread...it seem the problem is the tail shaft from the a343 is too long, and 19 spline??? Couldn't you cut it down and make (or have made) a 19 to 23 spline coupler?

I have 2 friends right now wheeling 80's who both want to invest $$, time, gas tanks, and floor boards into finding a way to get an 80 crawl. One has a a440(f?) (fzj80) and one is the a343. Im also local to Gumby and would like to start tearing into his a343 and start bolting things up. I am running a a340f adapted to mini's so I could use those, though I would rather not tear apart my wheeler. Maybe marlin will send me some adapters. Maybe im wasting my time.

Also, as someone from the mini world....yes I believe mini gear drive cases are more than strong enough to handle anything a split case can handle. I don't know much about the 80 case.

now that advance adapters have 4:1 gears for the 60 splitcase, why not try to bolt on a split case behind the a343f/a442/and a440? won't have to cut or relocate the gas tank or modify drive shafts

Last edited:
now that advance adapters have 4:1 gears for the 60 splitcase, why not try to bolt on a split case behind the a343f/a442/and a440? won't have to cut or relocate the gas tank or modify drive shafts

The price of those gears make me hurt on the inside for the reduction it gives, plus you mess up your 4whl high.

Because it's crazy expensive for a lot less gearing options than you get with mini doublers

edit - what lt1 said.

The price of those gears make me hurt on the inside for the reduction it gives, plus you mess up your 4whl high.

Because it's crazy expensive for a lot less gearing options than you get with mini doublers

edit - what lt1 said.

True, but unless someone figures it out we're left with mark's gear set and crawl box and the split case option. That's if the split case will even work.

True, but unless someone figures it out we're left with mark's gear set and crawl box and the split case option. That's if the split case will even work.

More or less yes. For the cost of the gears i'd just pay a bit more and get the crawl box but I don't like either of those options.

mini truck gears cost $500 for that kind of gearing. If mark priced them like that they would sell like hot cakes.

but damn near 2k for just a 3:1 ration in the 80 box.... no thanks

why doesent someone make a new 2nd housing (the part that holds the reduction gears) to accept a 4:1 or a 5:1 like the tera low kit for the np 231? i would much rather pay 2g's for that rather than a lousey 25% reduction for 1300...

The 4:1 it's barely fitting in there.. with trimming/grinding required .. probably much more complicated more than that ... but 4:1 it's plenty and it's available now from AA for more less same price.

why doesent someone make a new 2nd housing (the part that holds the reduction gears) to accept a 4:1 or a 5:1 like the tera low kit for the np 231? i would much rather pay 2g's for that rather than a lousey 25% reduction for 1300...

Market.

The market is small enough that hardly anyone (if anyone) has even put the effort into coming up with an adapter or solution in their garage....yet.

Last edited:
The 4:1 it's barely fitting in there.. with trimming/grinding required .. probably much more complicated more than that ... but 4:1 it's plenty and it's available now from AA for more less same price.

No 4.1 for the 80 case yet, 3.1 barely fits

This guy installed a 4 speed atlas behind an A340F in his tundra

Tundra Evolution - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

My reason for posting this is that if they can put one behind a tundra auto why not an 80?

Because the a340f has a different tail than the a343? and the a340f has a much larger market of people looking for t-case options since it was used in 4runners since 1986.

But your basically asking the same question most of us have..... "why so close, and yet so far?" I don't believe it is as far as most people think.

I keep hearing (well reading actually) that "the market" for 80 series gear reduction is small. Isn't the 80 forum the most active one here on 'mud, and there are many more 80 forums around the globe. These rigs are all aging (gracefully I might add) while more and more are being turned into wheeling rigs instead of soccer mom grocery getters.
Sure not everyone wants 300:1 gearing, but could we not somehow get together across the various 80 forums and petition the likes of Marlin/AA etc for some (better) options?

I keep hearing (well reading actually) that "the market" for 80 series gear reduction is small. Isn't the 80 forum the most active one here on 'mud, and there are many more 80 forums around the globe. These rigs are all aging (gracefully I might add) while more and more are being turned into wheeling rigs instead of soccer mom grocery getters.
Sure not everyone wants 300:1 gearing, but could we not somehow get together across the various 80 forums and petition the likes of Marlin/AA etc for some (better) options?

While 300:1 gearing would be a great option in a heavy beast (providing you can easily shrink that number) I would piss my pants if we have a viable option under 1K to get evey 65 or 70:1

Its all relative.

Its not how active a board or community is, but what kind of activity happens in that community. Are they pushing the limits of a vehicle, are they excited to taking the cut off wheel to the floors, and moving gas tanks. Or are they more concerned (as a whole in general) with "base lining", bolt-on's, doing head gaskets as maintenance, ash tray mods, etc.....

Its true the 80 world is changing as the prices come down on one of, if not the best stock wheeler ever made. Buyers are becoming braver, and the vehicle is becoming attractive to the crowd of people who are more willing to chop them up and push the limits. But for now there may just be too many "rover converts" in the community. AA and marlin may just be thinking..."its too early."

A weekend bolt in option for gears/doubler's/etc... would be nice. But to make it a weekend bolt on, you need an offset rear output on the final t-case and that limits the options to only a couple t-cases. And how much $$$ would someone drop just to end up with a split case or a chain drive 80 case?

No matter how many 80s out there I don't thinly it will spark enough demand for a crawl box at a decent price. Possible but far fetch in my opinion. Majority of the 80 owners find swapping ring and pinion to be adequate for their use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom