INFAMOUS 80 Series TLC CrawlerBox/Transfercase FAQ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's only money, right?

I've spent money AND years... I've never built my 80's as expedition rigs but rather, wheelers with a minimalist aproach...
Even if you did the above swap... you still have a heavy frame...
I fear I will end up with nothing yota and only a 40 hood and bezel.

yank it

AA is not going to do the atlas for the 80. even if they did they would sell like 10. i have wasted so much time on the phone with them

How much does it cost to make an adapter plate with development? I am constantly doing all kinds of prototypes in my line of work (regretfully not applicable to this application), but from what I have read posted up on here it wouldn't take too much to make a plate and say "Here it is and this is what you have to do to make the atlas fit!" They have the resources to do the job already...You'd need the bolt Pattern off the the 80series tranny + input shaft??? what else?:flipoff2:

:meh:
I second that question?

My understanding is that all the 80 series t-cases are the same, but the adapter off the back of the transmissions are differrent. I believe that the A44x have the same adapter(tranny side and t-case side) and the A34xhave a different transmission side adapter. So the issue at hand is do you make the adapter for the transmission, or for the t-case side of the transmission adapter.

I will get the body swap / cage done and then see where I sit. Chances are very good she will be a EFI 350, TH400, Atlas or Stak, D60, 14B with custom 3-link front and rear. It's only money, right?

Chad, this is what causes me to lose sleep at night more than anything, the fact that we will have to change everything on the cruiser, and in the end, it NOT be a cruiser. The cruiser gods will surely slit my throat if i did this, but it just makes economical sense to build it this way.

Chad, this is what causes me to lose sleep at night more than anything, the fact that we will have to change everything on the cruiser, and in the end, it NOT be a cruiser. The cruiser gods will surely slit my throat if i did this, but it just makes economical sense to build it this way.

I loose sleep on this as well, but I intend on slimming the rig down as much as I can until I get to that point. Also time to gusset the axle housings.

Back to the topic at hand...how can we mate SOME SORT of crawler/transfercase to the damn 80! :mad:

Back to the topic at hand...how can we mate SOME SORT of crawler/transfercase to the damn 80! :mad:

For a 1FZE, it's going to take a vender to either make a box or an adapter plate...
for a 3FE it's going to take a 3F bellhousing to H42F/splitcase to toybox.

The only way I see a box or adapter being made is if a group of folks go to a vender with monies in hand and give it to them before they make the product. If 20-30 folks did this then anyone would make it... but probably not before that.

the reason i love yotas is because they are so reliable in their native environment. (dd and moderate wheeling) But if you want to get hardcore with a yota (big tires and a heavy foot) everything under the truck is not dependable.

Brothers,
there should be no shame in abandoning these inferior yota parts if the job at hand necitates superior mechanicals. keep the parts that win (motor and tcase on my truck) and sacrifice the rest. this aint the american kennel club. nobody asks for a pedigree chart at a dog fight.

Brothers,
there should be no shame in abandoning these inferior yota parts if the job at hand necitates superior mechanicals. keep the parts that win (motor and tcase on my truck) and sacrifice the rest. this aint the american kennel club. nobody asks for a pedigree chart at a dog fight.

OhMyShunt! Can I print and frame this?!:standing: :clap:

What is that upfront cost?

that's what I'd like to know... if it's in my budget, then I'm game! I'd love to keep my tranny and xfer case...

and remeber an atlas swap will require a new gas tank. Advance adapters knows this. not a simple swap like on their other apps

i believe my 80 series tcase is as strong as an atlas. i have seen an atlas apart and i have seen the 80 case apart. the 80 case is built better and the gears are bigger. honestly 3.1 gears in the 80 case are deep enough for anything you will ever do if
a. use an auto
b. 513 or deeper gears in the rear
c. ADD MORE POWER (1fzfe is big enough)

crawlin is for pussies

and remeber an atlas swap will require a new gas tank. Advance adapters knows this. not a simple swap like on their other apps

i believe my 80 series tcase is as strong as an atlas. i have seen an atlas apart and i have seen the 80 case apart. the 80 case is built better and the gears are bigger. honestly 3.1 gears in the 80 case are deep enough for anything you will ever do if
a. use an auto
b. 513 or deeper gears in the rear
c. ADD MORE POWER (1fzfe is big enough)

crawlin is for pussies

Went wheelin' in June with 2 80s on 37s. Both were pretty fearless, but neither could take all the lines the pig took only because they didn't have the gears. The pig with the 203 doubler and 4rnr's 2nd gen with dual inchworms could crawl and make it. The 80s had to occasionally take a bail out line.

The line of shame is for pussies who can't crawl.

I'm a firm believer in the best parts. The pig's drive train is parts that are actually inferior to Toyota parts, but cheaper and easier to build to do what I want. The 80 drive train is a damn good drive train all the way out to the hubs except for the lack of gearing options. If we can fix that there's not a lot of reason to mess with it.

ive wheeled my 80 on 37's and in retrospect the 80 on 37's kinda sucks with its gears. its just not low enough. i can get it there with 410's but you have to load the torque converter hard to over 1500rpm and then use the brake to crawl. stuff starts overheating that way. did your buddies have gears higher than 488? but if you can get any truck with an auto into the 50:1 range in the tcase and if that truck has power, i would rather have the auto and power vs the crawler gears. i can get more places with the power. (if the drivetrain can handle it)

the 80 parts are superior to anything less than 1 tons. but they are so high maintainance in extreme duty scenerios. they just were never designed to take lots of torque such as big rubber.

Went wheelin' in June with 2 80s on 37s. Both were pretty fearless, but neither could take all the lines the pig took only because they didn't have the gears. The pig with the 203 doubler and 4rnr's 2nd gen with dual inchworms could crawl and make it. The 80s had to occasionally take a bail out line.

The line of shame is for pussies who can't crawl.

I'm a firm believer in the best parts. The pig's drive train is parts that are actually inferior to Toyota parts, but cheaper and easier to build to do what I want. The 80 drive train is a damn good drive train all the way out to the hubs except for the lack of gearing options. If we can fix that there's not a lot of reason to mess with it.

Marlin has a box on a A440 in a 62. Last I heard they were trying to get it back on the front burner.

The ToyBox behind the A440 was in Jason's (Weak-Link)carb'd 60. I hear he was unhappy with the power loss from the automatic. I'm a big Marlin fan but I wouldn't wait for a ToyBox for an 80. :meh:

Dusty said:
Brothers,

Yeah man! If your building a wheeler, do what you have to, to make it safe and reliable and serviceable as possible on the trail in bfe!!!
H

I see more and more 80s on the trail.. There has got to be a market for this . Why someone ( vendor or ambitious wheeler) hasn't come up with an affordable oprion at this point is still mind boggling. Surely someone can modify or relocate the fuel tank and make either an adapter to mount a different tcase and/or a floor plate to replace the sheet metal that needs to be cut out.
I personally would buy a kit because i dont have the time to figure out what tcase could fit or the equipment/ know how to make an adapter.
There are rumors that Novak is making its own tcase to rival the atlas. Hopefully there is an 80 application ( yeah i know).

Keep fingers crossed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom