I couldn't pass it up- i.e. another project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Project "Baby Blue"

Well, I saw an ad on craigslist for a 1969 Land Cruiser, so even though I already have a couple Cruisers I just had to call. An hour and $500 later I arived home with this:
fj40.jpg
fj401.jpg
fj402.jpg

Last edited:
It has a few dents, dings and an attempt at fender flares:rolleyes:, but it's pretty straight and solid. The only real rust is under the driver's side door. The frame even still has the oem paint on most of it. It has an aftemarket pto winch and fugly wheels, but otherwise is stock. I got it to run a bit tonight just dribbling gas into the carb, so I think it has hope. More on this little baby blue 40 later.
fj403.jpg
fj404.jpg

looks like it was used to push over trees ;)

definitely needs some love, but good find!

-Garrett

For $500 there is not a person on this site who loves an fj40 that would have passed that one up. That is an awesome deal at $500, would have been a good deal at $1,000. I wish I could fnid one like this near me, looks solid and a PTO winch to boot.

Something is not quite right with that shackle.

Nice find, body does not look to bad, lots of usable parts, whats the plan for it?
1111111111 (Medium).jpg

Looks a little rought but for $500 is a great deal. Not often you find then this original forty plus years later. Toyota offered the Ramsey PTO winch to their dealers as a option. So other than the wheels I would concider it stock. Their was a lot of changes during 69. SOR has a chart you can date it at least to the month. If it was before 3/69 it should have a one barrel carburator. It it has the 3/69 to 9/69 two barrel carburator Toyota will still have it in it's parts system (3/69).

Yeah, it's a little rough and that front shackle was in perfect shape until it was unloaded at my house and the tow truck snagged it with the boom. grrrr. Overall, it's in better shape than my other 40 when I bought it, and I have a few spare parts around to at least get it back on the road. I'm pretty sure the top has never been off, and it appears to have a new tranny and clutch from Toyota (looking at receipts from 1981). It was parked in 1986, so I'm sure I'll have some seals and bearings that need love. I couldn't stomach the idea of parting it out into my other 40, so I think I'll just get her up and running to daily drive. I'll try to post more pics tonight.
Those headlights are intresting, They are rusty inside the housing but work. They look old, but do any of you think they are original to the truck?
TK

It looks fine to me. I would just get it running, clean it, and only address problem areas. Keeping it unrestored when it is so complete, is also a good thing to do.

Worked on the 'ol girl las night. Cleaned up all the crap in the interior and vacuumed it out. The good news is that the floors are solid, all the lights work, and it appears road worthy minus the tweaked front shackle.
The bad news is that I'm pretty sure the motor is shot. I got it started last night and it's got a pretty bad rod knock. I do have a 2F/4speed/4speed transfercase from a 1977 FJ40, so now I have to figure out if I want to dump that whole drive-train into this thing or figure something else out. I was going to dump the 4 speed and transfer case into my other 40.

TK

Also, I might start a new thread on this, but do any of you run a "Rhino Winch" on your rigs? IT's a PTO put on the truck on 1970, 8000#, Japanese made, and instead of the lever to activate it, it has a cable run up to the dash. Definitely different than the Ramsey or the Toyota PTOs. I'll post pics of it.

TK

Nice find, I will come check it out in person...funny thought it will probably be the first time so many 40/60 series Land Cruisers have congregated in one place in the interior of Alaska since they were sold at the dealership.

Good find. Great price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom