I am new to 80's looking for nerf bars (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have searched High and low online and cant seem to find any cheap nerf bars/steps. Now I have realized that the consensus here is to get sliders. I like the sliders but they are a bit pricey right now. I just purchased my 1996 LC and I have a lot of work to do on it, but in the mean time I would like something that will make it easier to get into and out of especially for the wife and kids. Needless to say mine does not have running boards and there is not a big LC presence in my area (Memphis). Is there any company out there that makes a set of nerf bars for the 80? Thanks for any info

I have "googled" nerf bars nerf steps smittybuilt none of the normal off road manufacturers seem to offer them for any 80 series that I can find?

Yup, search around for someone ditching their stock running boards, or pony up a bit more and get some OPOR MT sliders. (Not my first choice, but won't break the bank.... too bad)

Most often 80s that are actually used for their intended purpose have had the running boards removed and tossed into the bushes off to the side of the carport where they belong. Some of those bushes are probably still full and would be a source for free boards (which is actually more than they are worth).

Land Cruiser Phil sells a type of slider, more of a pipe to step on. It looks durable and possibly what you need for a cheaper price than full blown sliders. Not on his web site but you can PM him on the board.

welcome to come get my running boards...

If you need steps for your family factory running boards can take a lot and are very plentiful if you damage them.

If you dont need steps, want some protection at a low cost rock rails have served me well and your pants wont get dirty sliding out on a muddy truck.

IMG_7781[2].JPG

If you really want some nerf bars your best bet is to find a vehicle of similar size that they were offered on and modify them to work. Otherwise stock running boards like others have mentioned.

I agree with the others. If you are just looking for something to use as a step, find some stock running boards. I'd give you what I got, but I think I'm on the wrong coast. I'm sure you can find a set close to you for cheap. If you are going to wheel it though, save up for some sliders. Those things will save you tons of body damage. They work.

IMHO, nerf bars are the worst of all worlds. Don't work as well as running boards for steps and don't provide much offroad protection.

If you need steps for your family factory running boards can take a lot and are very plentiful if you damage them.

If you dont need steps, want some protection at a low cost rock rails have served me well and your pants wont get dirty sliding out on a muddy truck.

First I heard about them taking a lot. I looked at mine and they bent.

If you absolutely need a step of some sort, I have seen several sets of Smittybuilt nerf bars sold in the classified section over the years. They do exist.

First I heard about them taking a lot. I looked at mine and they bent.

I guess I should my words better. Several guys here run them and yes they bend and dent but they have avoided body damage. Then they get free replacement with all the extras in the club.

Years ago I had Smittybilt nerf bars that caused rocker damage the first time I needed them. Complete crap. There are a lot of bolt on and/or weld on options out there from reputable Cruiser specific vendors, but you get what you pay for. If you want cheap crap, these guys won't have it.
Do it once, do it right.

Years ago I had Smittybilt nerf bars that caused rocker damage the first time I needed them. Complete crap. There are a lot of bolt on and/or weld on options out there from reputable Cruiser specific vendors, but you get what you pay for. If you want cheap crap, these guys won't have it.
Do it once, do it right.
Righi? Where is @NLXTACY I can't go up hill and damaged my rocker thread. :lol: :doh:

I say carry a milk crate for a step and save up for some sliders. Lol. Find someone who's getting rid of their run boards. I think that's a better way to go instead of nerfs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom