Huracan Storage Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few weeks ago I got antsy on tailagate storage and started looking around Mud for options. After striking out on some of the vendors websites here I stumbled onto Huracan and their storage options. On a whim I emailed them to see if US shipping was even an option and got almost an immediate reply with yes! After the install and having a few weeks of my new tailgate storage I can say that I am really happy with the purchase. The tailgate is significantly heavier but that is obviously understandable. I have a ton of recovery gear, jumper cables, lights, shoes, work gear, etc hidden in the tailgate now. All and all and very easy mod that provided a much needed storage solution.

Shipping was fast and install went fairly easy after you get past the whole cutting your rig stuff..... Make sure to paint your cut lines to avoid rust. Beside that take your time and have fun. I did watch this video before starting for moral support ;)

One thing that I ran into was the metal balancing rods in the tailgate. They are angled behind the tailgate section that gets cut out. I weighted them down and cut them out as well. Also, I did not and do not reccomend cutting the center brace out to fit a rifle or something long. Look at it as 2 small storage areas and you will be fine ;)

Huracan also sent me their labeled sound deadening material. I really liked that and it went in fairly simply. I did my best on the install and am pretty happy with the results for a first timer. I love the fact that there is no metal on metal sounds as I open and close the tailgate.

My interior is tan/beige and they only offer black marine carpet so I chose the powder coated option. I am thinking about covering it a faux teak SeaDek or a tan surfboard/sup traction pad.

I linked the folder of pics I took below and if there are any questions feel free to contact me or comment below.

Huracan Storage Box Install

Any idea on how long the order-to-receive time was?

They were fabbing them all and then shipping them out via boat bc of the order size. Also, there is some giant Australian 4wd expo going on that was coming up as well. Might take a little longer than anticipated, but that will give me time to build up the nerve to cut into my LC. Then maybe I will tackle a snorkel....lol.

I installed my Huracan hatch this weekend. It's nice but I'm having trouble getting the latches to catch. They will catch/latch outside of the door, but once installed they will not catch. I removed the rubber surround to give me a little more room but that hasn't worked. Has anyone else had this problem?

I installed my Huracan hatch this weekend. It's nice but I'm having trouble getting the latches to catch. They will catch/latch outside of the door, but once installed they will not catch. I removed the rubber surround to give me a little more room but that hasn't worked. Has anyone else had this problem?
Yes, me too... If you tighten the bolt for the retainer for the latches to a reasonably tight amount, they won't latch. I had to leave mine very loose, and even then, they don't catch easily. I am not impressed with the latches at all, they don't feel like high quality bits, they are going to be a huge pain in the ass.

Yes, me too... If you tighten the bolt for the retainer for the latches to a reasonably tight amount, they won't latch. I had to leave mine very loose, and even then, they don't catch easily. I am not impressed with the latches at all, they don't feel like high quality bits, they are going to be a huge pain in the ass.

Thanks for the advice. I haven't had any time to mess with them since I installed last weekend, but I'll give this a shot. Yeah, the latches have a nice low profile but seem cheap.

@gatormark91

You can see how I have the nuts...one on each side. I just had to trial and error with adjustments until it caught when closed. Then I tightened them with pliers.

The other pic shows how close the latch is to the lip when closing it.

Also, that is not rust in the pics...it is dirt...lol.

32A6CE7C-6C51-4E67-AAB6-E12953E5FD77.jpeg

8261623F-9486-4EBA-AE0A-EAEBAC4B5457.jpeg

can you still stand or sit on the tailgate like before? I worry that the tailgate will be a weaker base for sitting or standing. Sometimes there is 2-3 people sitting on my tailgate.

I sit on mine all the time. Been super happy with mine. Will be covering with traction pads for surfboards/sup soon for a little cushion.

I sit on mine all the time. Been super happy with mine. Will be covering with traction pads for surfboards/sup soon for a little cushion.

have you done this yet? I’d like to pick this up but I’d like it to match the rest of the tan interior

I'm considering getting in on this next group buy. I've read a couple people having trouble with the plastic tailgate flap catching on the bolt heads. Any of you guys having this problem?

One thing that I ran into was the metal balancing rods in the tailgate. They are angled behind the tailgate section that gets cut out. I weighted them down and cut them out as well.

Also can someone help explain this to me? I don't want to spend the money and or cut my tailgate only to have something that doesn't function well.

I'm considering getting in on this next group buy. I've read a couple people having trouble with the plastic tailgate flap catching on the bolt heads. Any of you guys having this problem?

They ride fine on mine.

Also can someone help explain this to me? I don't want to spend the money and or cut my tailgate only to have something that doesn't function well.

Tailgate flap functions fine, No catching on mine.
As for the metal rods I left mine in but bent them out of the way to either side of the lift gate. Thought this would help a little with the weight. Not sure it was worth the hassle of removing,bending and reinstalling as the gate is still heavy to close.

I have had no trouble out of mine and it is my favorite mod. It's the most functional thing I've done and I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom