How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes (22 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Works great here on VMware Fusion--just importing the machine and installing the VMware tools allowed me full usage.

This is such a great thread, I just had to bump it.

Thank you very much, I have it working with your downloads.

I do notice that it runs really slow on an otherwise reasonably fast laptop.

TechStream or the OS? TechStream is just slow in general, I'd imagine it has something to do with how much data it processes and communication with the car (almost 18 year old technology).

If it is the OS, you might have to reallocate some memory in the VM settings.

Techstream is super useful but the software is terribly slow and clunky in general, especially on older vehicles, you learn to work with it haha.

I got time off work (holidays) to make this work...and I did.
Found my Front at 8.2 and Rear at 7.0 Accumulator at 10.6
I disabled the auto-telescoping steering wheel while I was at it.
I think I am REALLY going to like having TechStream.
Thank you so much @getco and all who contributed to this thread!
And @PADDO for all the people that repeat the same questions, bless your patience!
If you find this community helpful, do consider supporting it.
It has been worth so much more than a Silver membership ($20 a year).
Having owners that have "been there, done that" = means I don't have to repeat their struggles, expenses or failures.
The confidence, that I can do this (if I stick with it) is beyond words.
Merry Christmas to ALL and a Happy New Year!
God Bless

I didn't read through the whole thread, so this may have been stated already.

The OVA when importing to VBox is set to 512MB of virtual memory. If you system allows, like, if you have 8GB or more system memory, you can increase the virtual machine memory. Should help it run a little better.

I increased my virtual memory to 4096 MB (4GB), which is the max you can use with XP 32 bit.

Memory in Megabytes for reference:
1024 = 1GB
2048 = 2GB
3072 = 3GB
4096 = 4GB

I didn't read through the whole thread, so this may have been stated already.

The OVA when importing to VBox is set to 512MB of virtual memory. If you system allows, like, if you have 8GB or more system memory, you can increase the virtual machine memory. Should help it run a little better.

I increased my virtual memory to 4096 MB (4GB), which is the max you can use with XP 32 bit.

Memory in Megabytes for reference:
1024 = 1GB
2048 = 2GB
3072 = 3GB
4096 = 4GB
Honestly, 512MB is decent enough for XP. The TIS software is pretty slow just because of the CANBUS on the LX/LC side is not speedy in the slightest (1990s technology here).

I can get mine to connect, and can see the Data List of my AHC, but I get errors if I try to access my AHC Fault Codes. Any ideas? (tried Engine running and off (ign on).

First off I want to thank everyone on this thread for information and of course getco for putting the Virtual Box package together. I had no issues setting anything up.

I don't have a 100-series but have a 150-series 2012 GX460. I bought the Fangfei cable listed in the first post and I was able to customize and view most data list for all ECU's with the exception of the Engine and ECT ECU. When I try to access that I get Fatal Error 0xC0040001 code. Strange thing is I can access all ECU's my fiance's 2013 Subaru BRZ (It is mostly a Toyota thankfully). I have tried 12.20.024 and 10.30.029 software versions with the same results.

Considering it works on the BRZ I kind of assume I don't have a faulty cable, wondering if I should look at getting the DiagKing 2.0.4 cable. Just looking to see if anyone had any input on next steps I should try?

I have attempted to install the virtual box twice on my Mac, but it fails and says something along the lines of not being compatible with my OS. I have the latest update Mojave OS. Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Troy

Ok, so I have downloaded the virtual box from OP, purchased cable on Amazon from page one of this post, downloaded the mega file, and am able to open Tech Stream on my computer. When I try to connect to vehicle, it begins initialization, then pops an error that is unable to connect to VIM.

My cable lights up with a red light when connected to computer. Should this be green?

In the virtual box, when I open the MVCI Firmware update tool and click "Device Info", all fields show n/a and device status is "Not Connected." Is the virtual box not connecting to the USB port on my MacBook Air???

Can anyone help me out here? I am not very computer savvy and am really getting frustrated with the process.

Thanks for any help.

Troy

Can this also be downloaded and operated on an android tablet? I've been looking at a Samsung Galaxy Tablet S4 for mapping and using the Torque app and personal day to day use. Has anyone tried this?

I’ve been planning on getting the icarsoft TYT II, but after reading through this I am seriously reconsidering TS for my 04 LX (and 00 T4R). I’ve seen a few people have used tablets (or was it just newer surfaces?) with success? My main computer is a (I’m not kidding) 2009 MacBook Pro that I’m waiting for it to die (I’m cheap), and it’s powers are very limited but functional.

Is there a (windows based?) tablet or the like I could use as a dedicated TechStream device that people have had good consistent success with? Which Windows OS is the TechStream and Virtual Box software the happiest operating in?

And finally, is there so much more I can do with TS vs a good scanner tool such as the iCarsoft TYT that it is hands-down worth possible occasional headaches? I don’t think I would have patience for a tool that needs frequent massaging to keep operational, especially in the middle of nowheresville. Thanks all.

Getting Techstream up and running can be a bit of a pain. Hopefully this helps someone get started quickly.

Step 1: Purchase an OBD-II interface. One option:
- Amazon product ASIN B06XGB714M ($20, Prime)

Step 2: Download VirtualBox for Your Operating System:

Step 3: Install VirtualBox Software You Just Downloaded
  • Windows: Double-Click downloaded file
  • MacOS: Double-Click downloaded file, run installer

Step 4: Download TechStream Image:
- MEGA (V2! Click to download)

Step 5: Double-Click downloaded file.

Connect & Enjoy.

🎅

-g

Edit (4/8/18): I removed the more expensive cable, as I received a new Mini-VCI cable that works 100% at 1/4 the cost.

Hey Getco, thanks for the tip on Techstream! Wondering as I wait for it to download, will it work with a bluetooth adapter (my laptop has the driver for the bluetooth OBDII adapter).....

FWIW I was able to get my Vag-com cable (used with my Audi’s) to load up and connect with its software in the virtual machine but not with Techstream. For $27 I just ordered the cable from Amazon and it works great.

FWIW I was able to get my Vag-com cable (used with my Audi’s) to load up and connect with its software in the virtual machine but not with Techstream. For $27 I just ordered the cable from Amazon and it works great.
I'm having a very similar issue. I was running a two-year-old generic eBay MVCI cable, and I can see the cable in the virtual machine, but when I open TechStream, I get the 'can't connect to VIM' message. The cable worked fine on an old XP laptop I had that ran version 10.29, but that laptop kicked the bucket. Running it on a newer Windows 10 laptop under virtualbox, no good. Reset the box back to 8.1 from fresh install, installed virtualbox, the 12.20 OVA, all looks good, set the USB settings to allow remote connections... just will not connect to VIM. I ordered the MVCI listed on the first page of this thread, hoping the old MVCI cable is the issue, since it's the only thing left I have not changed. Really need to get this working, since I am going to have to replace my brake hoses, and need it to bleed my brakes. :-(

Boy, you really saved my bacon (and sanity) today! Recently bought a used 2015 Toyota that came with only one key and needed to program a blank one I bought on Ebay. I wish you could see how many tabs I have open on my various devices, trying to figure out why I couldn't get TechStream to work... I'm primarily a Mac user and had been trying to get TS to work on my ancient Windows laptop to no avail - with your instrux I got it running on my MacBook Pro in 5 minutes! (I thought I was going to have to partition my hard drive and install Windows to get TS running, but nope!) I created an account here just to thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom