FOB programming mode help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
A family member lost a cruiser key so I bought a replacement on the web. The key cutting and chip work is all fine as the new key starts the car correctly.

I can not for the life of me get the car to go into the FOB programming mode though to program the remote
Steps I am trying are:

Program Remote Key: FSM sequence E (1998-2002)

When doing any of these operations timing is critical – use a watch if you have no sense of time. :)

Begin with the key out of the ignition and drivers door open and unlocked (all other doors closed).

1. Insert remote key into the ignition (Do NOT Turn) and then pull remote key out.
Within 40 seconds ;

1. Use the power lock switch on the drivers door, perform 5 (five) lock/unlock cycles starting with lock.
  2. Close, then open the drivers door.
Within 40 seconds;

1. Using the power lock switch on the drivers door, perform 5 (five) lock/unlock cycles starting with lock.
  2. Insert the key in the ignition cylinder. Turn the ignition to ON (Do NOT Start) then back to OFF
  3. Remove the key from the ignition.
Within 3 seconds the power door locks should cycle automatically indicating successful entry into programming mode.
Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

To accept a remote transmitter perform these steps within 40 seconds;

1. On the remote key, press the Lock and Unlock buttons simultaneously for 1 second.
  2. Immediately after letting go of the Lock and Unlock buttons, press the Lock button and hold for 2 seconds.
Within 3 seconds of completing the steps above the power door locks should lock then unlock automatically. If the door locks do not cycle, your remote has not been accepted. Repeat steps 1 and 2 of remote acceptance procedure above.

Close the drivers door. Test new remote functions.

I am having a problem with the electric lock actuators getting tired and not working so I am "helping" with the drivers door manually.

Ideas? I am being pretty careful with the timing of 1 lock/unlock per second. Do I need to wait the full 40 seconds before proceeding to the next step?

Also, I do not see information for this in the faq. Did I miss it?

Thanks,
Pete
99 LC 225k and running strong.

This is what I followed:

Note: You don't have to wait that 40 seconds to go into the next step. As soon as you are done with one stap (within the allocated time), you can jump to the next step.

"Start with the key out of the ignition, drivers door is open all others closed and drivers door is unlocked.

2. Perform these steps within 5 seconds. A. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out. B. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.

3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds. A. Close then open the drivers door. B. Close then open the drivers door. C. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.

4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds. A. Close then open the drivers door. B. Close then open the drivers door. C. Insert the key into ignition and leave it in ignition. D. Close the drivers door. E. Turn the ignition to ON (Do NOT Start) then back to OFF. F. Remove the keyfrom the ignition.

5. Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should lock then unlock automatically indicating successful entry into programming mode. Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds. A. Press the lock and unlock buttons on the remtoe simutaneously for 1.5 seconds. B. Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons, Press the lock button by itself and hold for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds, the door locks should lock and then unlock once indicating successful programming. If the door locks cycle twice, repeat steps A and B in step 6 as the remote was not accepted. C. Repeat steps A and B in step 6 for each new remote.

7. Open drivers door."

Yes, I tried the RemotesRemotes instructions as well. The only difference I remember was the turn the key on twice instead of once. No better results though.

Did the seller provide you any programming info? Do you have the correct FOB? May be post a picture of your FOB and other with more experience can help?

Yes, I tried their instructions first and then a few other plans that are slightly different. This one above is slightly different as well. I'll try this one and report back. Seems more like a land cruiser issue so far as I can't get into the remote programming mode on the car rather than the remote not responding.

nope. That plan is different with none of the lock/unlock steps. I suspect that is for a later model.

OK Success! The trick appears to be to be in the early steps. Open the drivers door, close AND LOCK all the other doors with the switch and manually unlock the drivers door. Revised steps that worked for me:

Program Remote Key: FSM sequence E (1998-2002)

When doing any of these operations timing is critical – use a watch if you have no sense of time. :)

Begin with the key out of the ignition and drivers door open and unlocked (all other doors closed and locked).

1. Insert remote key into the ignition (Do NOT Turn) and then pull remote key out.
Within 40 seconds ;

1. Use the power lock switch on the drivers door, perform 5 (five) lock/unlock cycles starting with lock.
  2. Close, then open the drivers door.
Within 40 seconds;

1. Using the power lock switch on the drivers door, perform 5 (five) lock/unlock cycles starting with lock.
  2. Insert the key in the ignition cylinder. Turn the ignition to ON (Do NOT Start) then back to OFF
  3. Remove the key from the ignition.
Within 3 seconds the power door locks should cycle automatically indicating successful entry into programming mode.
Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

To accept a remote transmitter perform these steps within 40 seconds;

1. On the remote key, press the Lock and Unlock buttons simultaneously for 1 second.
  2. Immediately after letting go of the Lock and Unlock buttons, press the Lock button and hold for 2 seconds.
Within 3 seconds of completing the steps above the power door locks should lock then unlock automatically. If the door locks do not cycle, your remote has not been accepted. Repeat steps 1 and 2 of remote acceptance procedure above.

Close the drivers door. Test new remote functions.​

I've got two aftermarket chip keys, no remote (PO did not still have master key, assuming they cracked long ago). I grabbed two of the more 4runner style standalone remotes because I'd read they could be used, but I've been unsuccessful getting my 02 LC into programming mode. My guess is it's because I'm not using the master key or a new remote key. Am I warm?

Last edited:
Found this one:
Indicates that you have to close and LOCK all the other doors before starting...

I just ordered a keyfob off of amazon and programmed it using this and it worked perfectly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom