What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (60 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did this with inspiration from LandCruiserPhil. It only took a few minutes. I posted in another thread but I think this is a good spot for it too.

i dig it. where did you get the plastic?

While putting sound deadening on the roof, replaced the foam on the rear AC vents. It was falling appart and sometimes blowing a chunk out into people's eyes.

20160902_154422.jpg

Brought my subwoofer back from the dead with some new fabric and a set of Dayton Audio ND105-4 drivers. Not a plug'n'play fit, but well worth the 15 minutes it took to cut out a hardboard adapter for the factory sub enclosure. For their size, they produce an insane amount of bass (more than I'll ever need) and sound 10x better than the factory ones. A steal at $27 each.

image.jpeg

Woofers:
"Dayton Audio ND105-4 4" Aluminum Cone Midbass Driver 4 Ohm" from www.parts-express.com!

Speaker grill fabric:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/171171519252

Brought my subwoofer back from the dead with some new fabric and a set of Dayton Audio ND105-4 drivers. Not a plug'n'play fit, but well worth the 15 minutes it took to cut out a hardboard adapter for the factory sub enclosure. For their size, they produce an insane amount of bass (more than I'll ever need) and sound 10x better than the factory ones. A steal at $27 each.
Thanks for the report on those little drivers. I have been wondering how they perform. Are you still running the factory amplifier?

Thanks for the report on those little drivers. I have been wondering how they perform. Are you still running the factory amplifier?

No. The factory amp was gone when I bought the truck, and a 15-year-old Pioneer is powering them. I did reuse the wiring from in the box to under the PS seat. That part is plug'n'play, and the change from 3-ohm to 4-ohm is negligible. I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't work with the factory amp, and I'd do it if I still had one.

This past week:

Replaced the rear upper & lower control arms with MT adjustables, and dialed in my pinion angle to stop my ujoints from complaining.

Added a extended drain hose for the a/c condenser routing it away from the frame and swaybar bush mount.

Installed an extended front diff breather replacing a clogged & corroded factory check valve.

Installed SPC adjustable upper control arms to get my caster angles back to normal.

Next week......

BIOR rear bumper install, and whiteline adj. panhard.

Last edited:
All buttoned up after all panels and roof liner off. Added sound deadening, emuwings, and roof light wiring, cv wiring, and cam wirining.

20160905_180602.jpg

image.jpeg
Front sway bar links and bushings refurbish.

IMG_7561.JPG
Added a few hp with a couple of window mods...

View attachment 1316797

Woofers:
"Dayton Audio ND105-4 4" Aluminum Cone Midbass Driver 4 Ohm" from www.parts-express.com!

Speaker grill fabric:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/171171519252

Is that the sub box for a 1998-2002? if so, looks good. did you cut out the plastic and use fiberboard as the template?

Took the boy out exploring some mostly dry creek beds and forest trails near our property. Had a great time, got a few scratches on a couple wheels but our lc is far from a show truck! My son is itching to grow. I told him as soon as he can touch the pedals he could help drive on the trails.

IMAG1646.jpg
IMAG1644.jpg

Took the boy out exploring some mostly dry creek beds and forest trails near our property. Had a great time, got a few scratches on a couple wheels but our lc is far from a show truck! My son is itching to grow. I told him as soon as he can touch the pedals he could help drive on the trails.

View attachment 1317748 View attachment 1317749

What size are your LEDs in the front lower bumper grilles and how hard were they to install? I have a couple 14" ones that I think will fit in my LX 470 grilles, but not 100% sure of it.

Is that the sub box for a 1998-2002? if so, looks good. did you cut out the plastic and use fiberboard as the template?

Yes, for a '98. No need to cut the plastic on the sub. The fiberboard goes right over the plastic to decrease the openings from 4.25" to 3.75".

This is more of a what have I done to my 100 series this month. First the good news. I installed some black depo's. I also ordered a new front and rear bumper which will be delivered next week! Pics coming soon.
IMG_0867.jpg

Now the bad news. After 1391000km (864000miles) my engine failed. I was pulling a trailer and on the highway the car started shaking. The problem was that the engine was running on 5 of its 6 cilinders. The cause of that was a faulty injector, and also the turbocharger was in a really bad condition. So we replaced both, but that did not solve the problem. The engine was a little bit better but still not drivable, but the new turbo is a huge improvement in power. So then we took the engine further apart and found the real cause. The cilinder with the faulty injector cracked one the the pistons...
IMG_2032.JPG

So now I am in search for a new engine. I found one for a good price, but I want to check the engine first. So maybe after a few weeks I will be driving a low milage Land Cruiser again! Together with the new bumpers and headlights.
We will be taking the engine apart this week to look at the wear after all those miles. From what we could see with the cylinder head removed is that the engine still looks very good, except the sixth piston.

And this is how the air intake looked due to a faulty turbocharger in combination with the EGR system....
I will disconnect the EGR system on the next engine to prevent this from happening again.
IMG_1366.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom