How To: 100 Series Hood Lift Support (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Once again I looked at a few threads on this topic. Suggestions, but no pics. So here's my take on replacing the OEM lift supports with pics. Easy stuff fellas.

I ordered Strong Arm lift supports from Amazon. $35.

Amazon.com: Qty (2) StrongArm 4361 Toyota Land Cruiser, Lexus LX470 1998 To 2004 Hood Lift Supports, Struts, Shocks Cylinders: Automotive

IMG_9504.JPG

You will need a 12mm wrench. Once again it has been provided for you in the tool bag.

You will also need something to support the hood while you work on removing and installing the hood supports.

IMG_9502.JPG

You will use the 12 mm wrench to take off the old OEM lift supports.

IMG_9507.JPG

IMG_9508.JPG

IMG_9509.JPG

Last edited:
Attach the new ball hardware to the vehicle.

IMG_9505.JPG

IMG_9511.JPG

IMG_9512.JPG

Now orient the new lift supports with the metal exposed portion down and clip the supports to the new hardware.

IMG_9514.JPG

IMG_9515.JPG

Repeat the same steps on the other side of the truck.

IMG_9517.JPG

IMG_9518.JPG

IMG_9519.JPG

A properly functioning hood lift support for $35.

IMG_9521.JPG

You will ask yourself why you didn't do it sooner.

Thanks for the write up. Mine need replacing also.

Just recently did mine as well. Some of you guys got lucky who were able to just take the screws off really easily. Let's say I applied the old caveman approach after they were seized/stripped. In the end all my hopes paid off and I have a fully functional hood as well.

I was looking for this write up when I had to do the same thing on my truck last month! This should be added to the FAQ! Great job and thanks.

Once again I looked at a few threads on this topic. Suggestions, but no pics. So here's my take on replacing the OEM lift supports with pics. Easy stuff fellas.

I ordered Strong Arm lift supports from Amazon. $35.

Amazon.com: Qty (2) StrongArm 4361 Toyota Land Cruiser, Lexus LX470 1998 To 2004 Hood Lift Supports, Struts, Shocks Cylinders: Automotive

View attachment 1396559

You will need a 12mm wrench. Once again it has been provided for you in the tool bag.

You will also need something to support the hood while you work on removing and installing the hood supports.

View attachment 1396403

You will use the 12 mm wrench to take off the old OEM lift supports.

View attachment 1396549

View attachment 1396563

View attachment 1396561

How do these compare to OEM?

Not sure about OEM vs Strong Arm. I guess time will tell. Inexpensive, quick, and easy fix. I'm satisfied.

Thanks for the write up. Just in time as my hood hit me in the head a couple of times working on the 100 today

Great write up!! Thx to OP - simple steps, but helpful on your first time.

+1 on the fit. I have a 2007 and they fit great.

To add on to original instructions:

1) the new ball hardware that I received used an 11mm

2) there are no tools required to fit the ball into the socket. It literally snaps right on. I was unsure at first when I was "playing around" with the loose parts before install. Once you apply pressure, they click right in to place.

PS - my local Lexus dealer (who had been great for other service) wanted $175 to replace them

Finished product:

IMG_1669.JPG

Advertising for a solid product:

IMG_1671.JPG

I got mine for around that price from lift support depot, and I just popped off my old struts and popped the new ones on. I didn't even have to undo the old bolt.

Sweet, I need to get on this. Have had my set of hood & hatch struts sitting on my kitchen counter for the last 3 weeks....got tired of having the hood almost take me out when I have to tinker with the stupid EFI fuse

Hiking poles, adjustable length, make good temporary supports. I also tied the hood up to the roof rack with a cord just for insurance.
I found my Hi-Lift handle fit well between the hood and fender as a support. That was a nuisance so I replaced the hood struts with the above mentioned Strong Arms. As @OG 91 LC said.... Inexpensive, quick, and easy fix. I'm satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom