How To: 100 Series Hood Lift Support (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fyi guys, I called Mr Lou's recently (lift support depo now) since my 4 year old struts I bought from them were giving up the ghost, fully intending to buy new. They related the originals were warranted for a lifetime and sent all new- hood and hatch. 4 years isn't amazing, but lifetime replacement isn't bad!

Good to know.

Great info TrekboxX. Mine are losing it after 4 years as well.

Did you have to replace the OEM ball hardware could it be reused with the strong arm struts?

I would have liked to reuse the oem ball hardware. I may look into getting the ball apart from the old lift support.

I recently replaced mine from Mr Lou. Could not be happier with the customer service. Only $30 if I remember correctly.

Question. Anyone had any luck with removing the ball joints from old struts and fitting them in the strong arms? My new set shipped from amazon without the brass ball joints and I’m not patient enough to wait....

I just came across this and I'm interested because I got a new set of Amazon struts for Christmas. I was waiting on warmer weather, so I didn't really look at them, but they don't look as nice as OG 91 LC's. The balls are already connected, so they'll probably be a bit more of a hassle.

Funny but I replaced mine Today too!
Note to Self"Do not work outside on the black truck with black parts on a 97 degree day" but aside from that it went as expected and now my hood is self supporting!

Mine were $18 on Amazon basically too.

Super easy to replace. Now I won't get the "surprise smack on the head" :)

I've been using a piece of PVC pipe to hold up my 2002 LX hood for 2 years since I got cracked on the head, and I've had the strong arms gathering dust in my garage for 18 months.

Finally installed today in 10 minutes. I deserve a beer.

These are 1 inch shorter, resulting in 3 inch lower hood at the High. If you are a shorty they may be OK, but your mechanic may fire you.

53440-69036, 53450-69036 is the Toyota part number for the struts only. {Support Cylinder}

Support cylinder bolts are 68961-30020

Last edited:
Awesome simple write up! Thank you OP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom