How far will you go with your wagon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I put a stereo in mine. It sounds ok but the Pig is still noisy. I feel like treating it like a helicopter and everyone gets a headset. Have it PTT when you need a road soda but otherwise pipe music to them. Mine is not quiet at 70 on the highway especially if I'm running the a/c.

Not sure if I want to kill all that noise. Pig noise kinda like white noise to me. Good time to think and occasionally look over at the wife with my loving smile since she won't be able to hear me talk....

I am a music guy, can't drive to end of driveway without putting tunes on. I will probably try and hide some speakers under seats or anywhere without drilling holes.

Well, I'm back to driving Zeke every day, and even though it has a laundry list of faults to correct, I'm putting in excess of 120 miles on it every day. And those are pretty hard miles, alternating between highway and off road use.

I admit I have neglected Zeke for the last 4 years I've owned him, but I didn't really need him.

Once I start knocking off the squawk list, I will a) make him more reliable and b) gain knowledge in fixing him when he breaks.

My confidence in going long distance in Zeke is only getting stronger.

duplicate....sorry.

Last edited:
Had mine at an indicated 82 mph (picture to follow if I can find it) following Scrapdaddy and Jeri on the 4-lane from Ogden to Boise for PP2020. That'd be an actual 90 mph when adjusted for 33s. Ranger overdrive helped us and Ron's 5 spd. helped him, obviously. Bonnie stayed calm so it must not have been too scary. I suspect Jeri's used to it. Fair to say Ron and I pay a fair amount of attention to suspension and other maintenance, he more than me.
BTW, that's when Deo passed us in the left lane! Like we were standing still!

Last edited:
I’ve been building my 1969 pig to be able to drive it 1000 miles to a Pig Party or other adventure, so some easy/moderate trails, then get back. My wife likes to drive and her only requirement was AC so I put in a slimline Vintage Air unit. I followed Nolen’s playbook: 2F with Holley Sniper EFI, FJ60 power steering, new H55F 5-speed with split transfer case built by Georg, disc brakes all around, and fixed all the rust using a bunch of BobM’s pieces. As soon as I get the bench seats back from the upholstery guy, I will start the break-in testing. My goal was to make it look original but improve as many things as I could. Hoping Lizard Skin sound and heat spray everywhere plus Dynamat in the roof will help with the sound some. In the sound/music side I opted to keep the original AM/FM radio that actually works. Probably use a cig lighter FM transmitter to play from my iPhone to the radio…road noise against the one mono speaker will be interesting. Building this pig has been an amazing experience scattered with many head scratching moments.

7C0B7177-9C0D-4723-814E-6E71860B7B38.jpeg

Nice Shop 😉
It’s a friend’s shop. He is retired but likes to keep busy. He has been helping me over the last year. His help fits into three categories:
1) Tells me to figure it out myself because if I can’t then I shouldn’t own this truck. Example: shocks and new rubber bushings in the leaf springs
2) Shows me how to do something, then I do it, then he checks my work. Example: adding disc brakes and tearing down engine to overhaul with all new gaskets etc
3) Tells me to go away so he can do the work as it requires a lot of concentration…he says I ask too many questions. Example: new wiring harness

I'm kind of taking what the pig gave me when I acquired it and attempting to improve it on it for longer journeys. Someone already installed a 2F, 4 speed, and discs on the front. I added 3.73s, power steering, and I will soundproof. Im going through the process of baselining every system-right now the cooling system is getting replaced.

When we moved for retirement, I drove my 40 home about 1700 miles and I never minded it. It is well sorted out but top speed was still only about 62mph. It could have gone faster, it just felt like a sweet spot. Funny thing, the wife was following in our Hyundai Tucson. She needed gas about every 4th time for me at 180 miles range. I would fill the gas, she would park alongside the station and wait. With only going 62 mph, she was getting like 42 mpg!

Reliability for me is everything whether building to go across town or the country. I always feared breaking down on the side of the road for me, my wife, or my three daughters so I overprepared for everything.

I'm passionate about bird-hunting, so I'd like to think I could build enough confidence in the 55 to take the time this fall and visit some of my favorite spots in CO, NE, KS, and SD. Besides competent, it would need to be quieter, better insulated, have music, dual band, and AC. I'm working on all that now. It's a long list. I have an amazing Hundy--but I'm thinking of doing this trip in the 55. Crazy, I know.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom