home made roof racks? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

plain and simple rack for fj40

My dad designed this and had it fab'd at local weld shop eons ago. the mounts are 4"x4" aluminum feet welded at an angle to the legs and bent to contour the roof. Through bolted with 8mm bolts (four per leg). Rubber/nylon conveyor belt (grocery store check out conveyor) used as a mat b/t roof and mounts. This is and old pic. Rack is not mounted now (will not clear low garage), but I can get pics off-body if anyone interested. Note the open front and rear..useful for kayak/small john boat/deer stands/ladders/etc.

cruiser2.jpg

Need Measurements

Hi guys,
I was hoping that some one can help me with some measurements.
I am having a guy in Los Angeles build me a full length roof rack for my 94 FJ80.

I am currently living and working in China and won't be back home in the states until June, so I cannot do the measurements myself. :crybaby:

He is asking me for the following:

Rain gutter to rain gutter for mount placements =
Front to back =
Side to side =

Any help with this is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Greg

I like it as well. I've been eyeballing a SAS kit for the Ford E-250 off and on for several years now. It's not too bad on a price, but I would not really use it enough to warrant spending that much coin. eBay has some from time to time.

I definately wouldn't put the mesh on my racks if i did it again.

It has a fair bit of weight in it, but I have seen heavier racks. My mates ARB rack is def. heavier than mine. But as I have read in some other posts here the rack is much stronger than the gutters (in my opinion; and some other peoples opinion to).

So yeah; keep it as light as you can. Put rubber in your gutters to save metal on metal, and don't put a mesh (its really anoying when tying things down)

P1020171.JPG

Looks nice snake, you should have finished the with a drone shot video of it on the trail.

i was thinking about something along these lines. I have 2 sets of fj cruiser roof rack cross bars. was thinking about making use of them.
fjrack3.jpg
fjrack2.jpg

Here is a design I've started for a rack for my LX450. Yes, the design will appear familiar as it was inspired by others on this site. First two pics are my first go, with and without lights. Second set is the same, but I extended the frame in the front to create a platform to better support and protect the front light bar, added a couple cross bars and also added a lower side between the gap, but am still debating that. Frame is build with 1.125" aluminum stock. Four of the crossbars extend past the basket, and will be used for mounting with Thule/Yakima towers. Also, not draw in is an expanded aluminum floor. Powder coated in black when complete. Anyway, any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Screen Shot 2014-08-23 at 9.49.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-23 at 9.50.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 7.00.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 7.02.02 AM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom