HJ60 build up/restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

it continues...

This weekend we put the engine back together, hooked up all the electrics, put the belts back on, new fan clutch, and...she fired right up! First the EDIC shut her down, because it took a while to get the oil pressure up (so that is working). Then oil pressure was up, but the EDIC still tried to shut her down. Finally we figured out that the engine was not grounded to the frame yet, and that did the trick.

We also assembled the inside, with carpets and the 60:40 split front bench-sorry for the bad pics, the seats are protected form dirt.

Last edited:
Air cleaner and snorkel assembly is on.
It was a pain to get the radiator support, radiator and fan shroud back in, but it is there now.
Another weekend, and she will drive...
Jan

Last edited:
wesintl said:
simply amazing.. You want to start on a 40 after that?

40s are very cool. a 40 with a 13BT, that would be very tempting.

I guess I have some time to think about it. It will take some more work to get the turbo on the 60, then iron out all the quirks that will inevitably come up once it is on the road.

Then I have to rebuild the axles on my 70, and regear it to 4.11s ( thank you Brett).

And at that point the garage will be full with Michael's projects :D
Jan

Jan-78FJ40 said:
40s are very cool. a 40 with a 13BT, that would be very tempting.

I guess I have some time to think about it. It will take some more work to get the turbo on the 60, then iron out all the quirks that will inevitably come up once it is on the road.

Then I have to rebuild the axles on my 70, and regear it to 4.11s ( thank you Brett).

And at that point the garage will be full with Michael's projects :D
Jan

Lets see there are seveal projects already schedule for the shop:

1. New head for 84 BJ42

2. New engine for 96' FJZ80

3. Mystery 7x series pickup project

4. 45 Series pickup with diesel engine

5. More transmission/transfer case rebuilds along with axle swaps/rebuilds for 7x series crusiers.

just a few :doh:

Cheers,

Michael

Congrats guys!!
Would like to have been there to watch you fire it up.

Hey Michael I was thinking of putting an OME suspension on our 40. Could I pencil it in for project #6 ? :)

Bob
1977 FJ40 "MuMu"
1992 FJ80 "Tubbs"

SurfPonto said:
Congrats guys!!
Would like to have been there to watch you fire it up.

Hey Michael I was thinking of putting an OME suspension on our 40. Could I pencil it in for project #6 ? :)

Bob
1977 FJ40 "MuMu"
1992 FJ80 "Tubbs"

Sure that would not be a problem :)

Michael

Some more pics from this weekend. The driveshafts came on, and a clutch booster from a 70 series (identical, apparently, another valuable contribution from Michael), since the old one was not working.

Last edited:
And finally, we were driving around. A few things are still missing, like the hood, the brakes need to be re-bled, a new clutch slave, AC needs to be charged, and some electrical gremlins. These problems will be solved this weekend.
The truck handled beautifully. Quite powerful, pretty quiet, and no whines. 4WD low and high work fine, so the T case rebuild was successful.
We'll drive her for a few weeks now, to figure out any potential problems, and then the turbo will go on. Of course we also have to take measurements of 0-60, like Wayne did :D

Last edited:
Great Job.. I love those factory colors and striping. :)

Man, I need a place like michaels to work on rigs ;)

wesintl said:
Great Job.. I love those factory colors and striping. :)

Man, I need a place like michaels to work on rigs ;)

I am still struggling with what to do about a paint job. The truck needs one, since the paint is not in good shape. also, the few spots where we fixed the rust have been PORed and then painted with the factory code color. However, this turned out to be much lighter, so now there are spots in places.
First I thought about changing the truck to blue, but now I almost tend to keeping it factory. I'd love to hear opinions about this.

And Michael's garage is great. I think it would be almost impossible to tackle such a job without it...
Jan

you asked...
i would keep it stock OR go completely wild with it, bright orange, or mustard yellow, or deep purple, or olive, anything you want. Make it one of a kind and enjoy it...\
you live in California so anything is acceptable, no?
cheers

I'd stay with the stock color.. But that only because of my pet peeve or nurotic mind seeing different colors opening the doors, hood etc.. unless you completely stripped it down. If you did go with another color my vote is another stock cruiser single color. Like wayne says, orange... Mustard, That olive color.. all would be cool. Don't do canary yellow or black. :eek:

That's my .02 ;)

California rainbow?
I think I agree with stock. I also don't want to see a different color in the door jams.
How about a white roof for temperature? Has anyone got a pic of a 60 series with a white roof?
j

I don't think temp would make a difference but it would be cool to do that roof white.. I think the high roof would esp stand out :D

I'm sure we can photochop that..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom