HJ60 build up/restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is the finished oil drain, the engine without the manifold and without boosters, and the old manifold.

Last edited:
This is the turbo in place, and the oil drain, matching the new one in the side plate.

Last edited:
And finally the pipes and hoses, the complete oil drain, and the oil supply (from the vacuum pump banjo bolt).

Last edited:
And here is the finished product.
I have now fitted a temp sensor, a pyro, and a boost gage, but son't have these pictures here, they will follow in a week.
As always, a huge Thank You to Michael, for taking lots of time and sharing his expertise. Just wait until westcoastcruisers.org is all up and running, then Southern California has the best Land Cruiser Diesel shop ever!

Last edited:
Tapage said:
pretty nice .. congrats .. dude .. you have my dreams in your hands .. ! :D

one day I'll come down there, or you'll come up here...

jan

beauh said:
Jan, the truck looks awesome!!! As you know, I'm moving down to Honduras with my wife and my '88 HJ61. We hope to see many more cruisers down there. None in the condition that you've restored this beauty to though!

You might want to rethink taking the '88 HJ61. Honduras will not allow imports of vehicles OLDER than 5 years as far as I know! I would CERTAINLY be worth a call to the Honduran embassy to confirm. You CAN come in as a tourist but NOT as a resident with Honduran plates.

Your oil return line looks like it is slightly kinked?

When possible I try and a bent tube with a real smooth radius welded into the pan or side cover.

Jan-78FJ40 said:
And here is the finished product.
I have now fitted a temp sensor, a pyro, and a boost gage, but son't have these pictures here, they will follow in a week.
As always, a huge Thank You to Michael, for taking lots of time and sharing his expertise. Just wait until westcoastcruisers.org is all up and running, then Southern California has the best Land Cruiser Diesel shop ever!

Radd Cruisers said:
Your oil return line looks like it is slightly kinked?

When possible I try and a bent tube with a real smooth radius welded into the pan or side cover.

Yes, the soft line between the metal outlet from the turbo and the metal inlet is slightly kinked. Good point, I'll fix that, thanks!

hks3sgte said:
So how would you compare the regular 2H vs the turbo 2H? Anything in comparison in terms of power with a 2F?

I can only compare it to a 2F I had in a 40 series, and to a 3FE in a 62.

The stock 2H is pretty comparable to a 3FE, and feels definitely more powerful than the 2F, at least at low speeds. But then this could be the fault of the 2F I had...and this 2H is practically new, it only has 30k on it.
With the turbo it is a great engine, and pulls up hills in 4th and 5th easily. There is plenty of acceleration power, so I am really happy with the setup. Gas mileage did not change with the turbo, I get about 22-24mpg.

Wow. Congratulations! I'm originally from Central America, maybe I'll pick up a nice HJ60 down there. If you say the stock 2H was about the same as a 3FE then that sounds driveable to me. In any case, I love your truck. Enjoy!

hks3sgte said:
Wow. Congratulations! I'm originally from Central America, maybe I'll pick up a nice HJ60 down there. If you say the stock 2H was about the same as a 3FE then that sounds driveable to me. In any case, I love your truck. Enjoy!

same engine .. never .. also not same performace .. I own a 2H nice engine, I love it .. but nothing with 3F engine.

P.D. de que pais de centro america eres .?

De El Salvador. Estaba pensando de un 2H swap en mi FJ60 pero necesito que por lo menos corra a 110km/h. ¿Qué tú piensas?

Last edited:
hks3sgte said:
De El Salvador. Estaba pensando de un 2H swap en mi FJ60 pero necesito que por lo menos corra a 110km/h. ¿Qué tú piensas?

Remember is a english forum .. ;)

No problems runn at 110km/h with a 2H engine .. off course in a good shape. I thought the better relation are 33" tires with 4.11 gears .. H55F ( 5 speeds tranny ) with a good 2H .. 140 km/h easy ..

Well, thanks for the reminder! :)

The 2H sounds good enough for me... of course my preferance would be a 12H-T but that is a bit too expensive right now.

So Jan-78FJ40, how is the turbo 2H like?

hks3sgte said:

The 2H sounds good enough for me... of course my preferance would be a 12H-T but that is a bit too expensive right now.

oooo of course I'm also like 12H-T instead my 2H .. but well I still saving money for a turbo intercooler setup for my 2H engine ..

hks3sgte said:

I love the turbo on the engine, but I am of course biased. On the highway in 5th I run at 125km/h, but the speed always creeps up. Like Wayne said-if you have the power you will use it.

What I enjoy most is that one can accelerate realtively well at those speeds, and there is very little slow down on hills.
jan

Beautiful job.

I love the idea of a turbo. It would certainly perk up the 2H.

Hinsight 50 50 thingy.

We used a small mandral bent tube and welded it from the oil pan and had a gentle bend for smooth oil flow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom