HELP with sensor and wire PLEASE. . SOLVED (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

White Sheep

Darren
SILVER Star
Threads
Felt the engine doing a little stumble more noticeable than normal and kind of rough sounding. Went looking around with a flash light and noticed this wire pulled out of the sensor :bang:.

Which sensor is this?

Can I replace the wire without getting a whole wiring kit?

Whats the part number?

Is it ok for normal driving until fixed?

Thanks in advance

20201016_084155.jpg
20201016_084239.jpg

ECT
Engine coolant temperature sensor
83420-16040
Connector is available too.
Do you know where I can purchase the connector?

To answer your question.. it's fine to drive the truck. You should notice your water temp gauge in the cluster isn't working.

To answer your question.. it's fine to drive the truck. You should notice your water temp gauge in the cluster isn't working.
Yeah thats what I noticed last night. Im currently doing my breaks and it looks like the PHH started to leak, coolant somewhere near the front. DO you think this has added pressure to other areas?

Do you know where I can purchase the connector?
And FWIW, also know that the sensor, its corresponding connector, and the pin that goes into the connector are all separate parts. The sensor and the connector do not look like they go together, so be sure to test fit them at the dealer counter. It took 30 minutes for the parts guy at my dealer to let me handle the parts and connect them together before either of us believed we actually had the right parts in front of us.

And FWIW, also know that the sensor, its corresponding connector, and the pin that goes into the connector are all separate parts. The sensor and the connector do not look like they go together, so be sure to test fit them at the dealer counter. It took 30 minutes for the parts guy at my dealer to let me handle the parts and connect them together before either of us believed we actually had the right parts in front of us.
Ok thanks. After I finish with the brakes, ill start draining the coolant and take the plug out

No, other than that gauge it affects nothing.

Are you sure this doesn't feedback to the ECU? When mine went out the temp on my ultragauge was all over the place and the truck ran like crap. I assumed low temperature readings were causing the computer to adjust accordingly which caused problems with an engine that was at operating temp.

When you do work on the PHH be careful of the #2 knock sensor, the plastic gets very fragile and the slightest bump will snap it's male connector off. Some people remove that knock sensor before working in that area. And while you're in there take a look at the coolant bypass hose (runs up to the TB) located a few inches in front of the PHH, that often needs replacing also.

Are you sure this doesn't feedback to the ECU? When mine went out the temp on my ultragauge was all over the place and the truck ran like crap. I assumed low temperature readings were causing the computer to adjust accordingly which caused problems with an engine that was at operating temp.
Unsure if relevant in this case, but not on OBD1 trucks.

ECU has it’s own seperate sensor.

When I drove last night my scangauge II was reading in the 180-190. So I'm not sure 🤷🏽‍♂️

When you do work on the PHH be careful of the #2 knock sensor, the plastic gets very fragile and the slightest bump will snap it's male connector off. Some people remove that knock sensor before working in that area. And while you're in there take a look at the coolant bypass hose (runs up to the TB) located a few inches in front of the PHH, that often needs replacing also.
Thanks I'll keep an eye on that. I might just do the PHH bypass as well

Toyota.

After removing the sensor, im just missing the plug.

20201016_182803.jpg

So, looking at the diagrams from the forum you sent me, I believe its this connector:

1 way coolant/ knock sensor connector plug (Toyota 90980-11428)

Am I correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom