HELP, STUCK! Super High RPMs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2010 LX570 156,000

I'm in Red River, NM with my family. LX has been great all week, supposed to leave today. LX was fine this morning for a quick errand, then a couple hours later I get in and start it up and it immediately jumps to 5000 RPM. When I shift to D it drops to normal for a moment, then shoots up again. I have to mash the brakes all the way to the floor to keep the vehicle from moving.

No idea what would have caused it.

Any thoughts? I'm desperate!

Try unplugging the gas pedal. If it does, you need a new sensor/pedal. I never messed up with it so can't give details.

Doh! Do you have an OBD-II reader?

Could also be a vacuum hose issue where it's letting extra airflow into the engine but 5k takes a lot of metered air (through MAF) to do without CELs.

Potentially throttle related but I would be less suspicious of the actual throttle pedal as it's dual redundant sensors (till worth a check and jiggle the throttle pedal). I would check the throttle body itself as it's drive by wire. Either something is holding the throttle plate open. Could be the motor/drive too as I've heard these get compromised with silt ingestion.

As a debug step, you can pull the negative terminal to reset the ECU, but I suspect this is a mechanical issue.

I assume you checked for obvious stuff like acceleration pedal being stuck to the floor.
OMG.

Thank you MUD and I’m a moron.

Took my Husky floor mat out to clean it and apparently when I put it back in I covered the pedal.

So I’m a moron, but thankfully an easy and cheap fix. I’ll take the egg on my face.

OMG.

Took my Husky floor mat out to clean it and apparently when I put it back in I covered the pedal.

So I’m a moron, but thankfully an easy and cheap fix. I’ll take the egg on my face.
Haha. It happens to us all. The first post gave me anxiety so I’m glad you figured it out!

I cut out the section of my husky mat under the gas pedal. It actually interferes with the pivot point of the gas pedal.. YMMV

1705087882326.png

Last edited:
OMG.

How very Toyota of you

OMG.

When in doubt, remember: Step 1 - Check driver floormat....

I'm glad it was an easy fix!

Who in their right mind puts a car in drive that is pegging out the tachometer uncontrollably in park?

I find it interesting the brake pressed hard does not shut the electronic controlled throttle down. I thought Toyota tweaked the ECU code on their vehicles for such situation in the ECU, after all their floor mat issues back then. Either LC200 is just too old or it's a high performance car that lets you mash both pedals however you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom