Help me spend $8k (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just sold my Tacoma, so I've got $8000 to spend on the 80. Lifting it and putting 37's on her is the primary goal. I'm currently all stock. So if you found yourself in my shoes, how would you spend it? What lift/rim/tire combo would you buy, and if money was left over, what else would you do? Also, I've done all maintenance on it phh, etc, so don't worry about that.

I just sold my Tacoma, so I've got $8000 to spend on the 80. Lifting it and putting 37's on her is the primary goal. I'm currently all stock. So if you found yourself in my shoes, how would you spend it? What lift/rim/tire combo would you buy, and if money was left over, what else would you do? Also, I've done all maintenance on it phh, etc, so don't worry about that.

I"m assuming your're double/tripled locked? Well then re-gear.

Delta Rear Bumper with swing outs.

Front bumper / winch

Sliders

lift/37s+

and then money to go out and have fun.

This thread is gonna be gooooood...... you’ll be so confused you’ll regret posting the question. We like posting opinions and looking at pictures so you keep posting pics and we’ll keep posting opinions.

Front bumper / winch

Sliders

lift/37s+

and then money to go out and have fun. write a check for the difference.

Fixed it for you. :D

Front bumper / winch

Sliders

lift/37s+

and then money to go out and have fun.

Yeah, but what lift? Triple locked.

Give @TRAIL TAILOR a call. He has great options. I have been running the 3" Topdog lift for a few years now and love it.

Probably should state what your intended use is. If purely for trails that's easy. If going expeditioning, 8k is gone before you get to the lift and tires haha.

1HD swap.
About the only "mod" you can do that will increase the value of the truck (by more than what you spend on it), while making it much more practical, desirable (for nearly everyone), unique and cool.

1HD swap.
About the only "mod" you can do that will increase the value of the truck (by more than what you spend on it), while making it much more practical, desirable (for nearly everyone), unique and cool.

Everyone? Count me out. :cheers:

Everyone? Count me out. :cheers:
Well, you're the minority then.
In EVERY market where both 1HD and 1FZ 80's were originally sold, demand for 1FZ trucks is so low, that people only resort to buying them when they cant afford the 1HD powered ones. 1HD is possibly the very best diesel engine that Toyota ever produced.

Well, you're the minority then.
In EVERY market where both 1HD and 1FZ 80's were originally sold, demand for 1FZ trucks is so low, that people only resort to buying them when they cant afford the 1HD powered ones. 1HD is possibly the very best diesel engine that Toyota ever produced.

Well that's one way of looking at it. When I lived in England I had a diesel 100 series and really liked it. But I drove it vs the petrol to get the better gas mileage due to the price of petrol in that market. Maybe people buy the 1HD in those markets because they can't afford the gas?

Let's take a more contemporary example. In the middle east the 79 series is offered in petrol and diesel but you rarely see the diesels. Of course you could say the people are just use to the gas engines. Maybe, but maybe it's because they could care less about the mileage and want the acceleration. Just a thought.

Edit: Forgot, they also sell the 200 series with petrol V6, V8 or diesel V8. I have never seen a diesel 200 on the road here.

Last edited:
Regear $2500
Tires and 17" wheels (x5) $2500

That leaves you with $3000, which you could spend entirely on higher end suspension and throw your spare tire in the back. Or you could get a cheap/used suspension and maybe a rear bumper with tire carrier, if you're lucky. Or re-prioritize front bumper and winch + cheap-out suspension + spare in the back.

Basically, you don't have enough money to outfit your 80 for 37's without compromising in one area or another.

Asking "what lift?" is like asking "what is your favorite color?" 3"- 4" would be appropriate for 37's, aside from that it's all about budget and personal preference. This will also require caster correction and probably a DC front driveshaft. So that's more money you don't have... :(

Last edited:
Well that's one way of looking at it. When I lived in England I had a diesel 100 series and really liked it. But I drove it vs the petrol to get the better gas mileage due to the price of petrol in that market. Maybe people buy the 1HD in those markets because they can't afford the gas?

Let's take a more contemporary example. In the middle east the 79 series is offered in petrol and diesel but you rarely see the diesels. Of course you could say the people are just use to the gas engines. Maybe, but maybe it's because they could care less about the mileage and want the acceleration. Just a thought.

Edit: Forgot, they also sell the 200 series with petrol V6, V8 or diesel V8. I have never seen a diesel 200 on the road here.

My initial argument was 1HD vs 1FZ. Not gas VS diesel. So lets not derail the discussion.

People want the 1HD for efficiency, low end torque, reliability and range. In some markets the diesel engines in general just arent popular. Usually for political reasons. GCC is one of those markets (along with some countries in South America)
Acceleration is a moot point - both HDJ80 and FZJ80 in stock form are painfully slow by modern standards - there is no noticeable difference in acceleration between them. Its actually easier, cheaper and more reliable to make the HDJ go faster. So i would argue that the HDJ has the edge in acceleration as well..
For a truck though, the low end torque is more important (to most people) and the HDJ has the edge there too.

As for the 79 series, i dont believe they were ever offered with a turbo diesel (1HD) in the GCC. 1HZ only, IIRC.
HDJ79 was only sold in Australia, i believe, and its one of the most desirable vehicles over there..

Pertrol is cheap in GCC. I've been told that diesel in actually difficult to buy in some of the countries there. There are very few mechanics that know how to work on them. These are some of the reasons why most people there prefer gas engines in general.

Last edited:
Regear $2500
Tires and 17" wheels (x5) $2500

That leaves you with $3000, which you could spend entirely on higher end suspension and throw your spare tire in the back. Or you could get a cheap/used suspension and maybe a rear bumper with tire carrier, if you're lucky. Or re-prioritize front bumper and winch + cheap-out suspension + spare in the back.

Basically, you don't have enough money to outfit your 80 for 37's without compromising in one area or another.

Asking "what lift?" is like asking "what is your favorite color?" 3"- 4" would be appropriate for 37's, aside from that it's all about budget and personal preference. This will also require caster correction and probably a DC front driveshaft. So that's more money you don't have... :(
It's unfortunate but that is the reality when you add it up. To do 37s "right" you're really looking at the entire $8k budget already..

Wheels ~$800
5 Tires ~$1,800
Suspension $2,000-$3,000
All other lift components (front/rear arms, rear lift bracket, rear sway bar, front adjustable panhard, bumpstops, extended brake lines, maybe DC shafts, etc. etc. etc.) $1,000 - $2,500
Gears $2,500
Other while you're in there BS (knuckle rebuild, etc.) $300-$1,000

You can cut a few corners here or there, but bottom line is not much will be left over after that. 37s are sweet, but 33s are so much cheaper its not even close...leaves a lot more room for armor, other nice goodies.

Last edited:
My initial argument was 1HD vs 1FZ. Not gas VS diesel. So lets not derail the discussion.

And all I said, more or less, is count me out; regardless if I'm in the minority.

Slightly changing the subject but getting back to the OP's question, can you do this conversion for less than $8K?

Look for used parts to save the budget.
The classifieds have tons of used stuff for decent prices.

Slightly changing the subject but getting back to the OP's question, can you do this conversion for less than $8K?

You should be able to. It would be tight, but doable. Assuming you do all the work yourself and get decent deal on a good 1HD that doesnt need a ton of work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom