Help me decide: GX470 vs 4th Gen 4runner...real world differences (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

stm

Threads
Hey Guys,

This is my first post ever on IH8mud.

A few weeks ago my 2006 Xterra was wrecked. A drunk driver got on the highway going the wrong direction, I braked, tried to avoid him, collided, flipped, rolled, came to rest on the drivers side, rescued through the windshield and walked away. Intense.

Now looking for something new, with a minimum criteria of side airbags, to keep glass out of my skull. It will be a daily driver, I commute over HWY 17 from Santa Cruz to San Jose, but have a lot of time off. Mostly mild off road, forest service roads and desert driving. But lots of highway, I try to spend a lot of time in the Eastern Sierra, 5-8 hours away. I've always wanted a Land Cruiser but a 2003(first year with side airbags) or newer 100 is more than I want to spend and have insane high mileage and seems like at best 14 mpg. So came across the 120 family and have found a few gx's and 4runners with sub 100k in the $10k range. I drove both this weekend and liked both for different reasons.

4runner Pros:
4.0 V6, with 5-speed auto, better MPG, no timing belt, lift gate, easier to upgrade suspension ect, simple interior controls

4runner Cons: lower seat, less visibility

GX470 Pros: More safety features, nicer interior, KDSS, better seating position, better visibility, road noise seemed similar in the testers I drove. More interior height for sleeping platform

GX470 Cons: More electronic gizmos to go out, side open rear door, 4.7l with timing belts to change and 15ish mpg

Not that the difference is a deal breaker, but curious what MPG folks are getting with both? How have all the systems in the GX held up? Anything else you guys can think of?

My other thoughts are a 2009 or newer Xterra, a Subaru Outback/Forester.

Thanks

They both need maintenance. I've owned my GX and wheeled it for around 9 years. I have done a lot of PM. Once you catch up or get one that has had it the issues aren't that many, even with the gadgets.

Before I did maintenance catch up my mpg sucked. I get 14 highway now fully loaded on 35s. Stock tires I would get a lot more. I do mean fully loaded too. The v6 is a little under powered in the 4th gen. They are nearly the same trucks otherwise. The v8 4runner is really very close to the same truck. I would suggest driving them and seeing which is best for you. Then invest in maintenance. Then mods.

Can't really go wrong. Glad you're xterra saved you.

I went from a 04 4Runner v8 to my 03 gx a couple months ago. Here’s my take.

4Runner looks sporty if that’s what you’re into. Which mattered 0 to me. The seats are awful in my opinion but my back isn’t great thanks to small bicycles. The wind/highway noise was not good. The roof height is low. I’m 6’1 and it honestly drove me nuts. But I did love the dash and the fact that it had amber lighting inside which looks better and is easier on the eyes. Back window rolled down which my dog was pretty hyped on.

Main reason I went for the gx is I think they’re much better looking. Much more headroom way better seats more sound dampening. Overall way nicer to drive.

You’re going to have to maintain whatever you buy and the price of a timing belt job in my opinion doesn’t make a v6 t4r worth buying over a gx.

You discussed side airbags as a minimum.... but it's side curtain airbags that will keep glass out of your skull. Check the years ... I believe they were optional on 2007 4Runner and standard on 2008-2018.

I drove a Tacoma with the 4.0 and same transmission for about five years (approx. the same weight as a 4Runner). The 4.0 was no dog, but it was not even close to as torquey and powerful as the 4.7. As a result, the GX feels like a sports car compared to the Tacoma. Both vehicles gave me around 15/16 MPG with mixed/commuter driving. The barn door is a pain in the ass. No getting around that.

Side note, Subarus are awesome. My parents had a 1999 Forester when I was in high school and it was a beast. I drove a CJ7 at the time and 4-wheeled regularly with friends. We took the Forester out one time as a joke and I was stunned by how good it was (minus crushing a fog light and almost ripping the front bumper off).

This is great. Glad I asked. Did the GX have side curtain airbags from 03?

I just bought an 05 GX470 and just sold an 04 4runner. Both V8s. Both lifted, but the GX rides in Fox and the 4runner ride on Bilsteins.
The only things I miss from the 4runner are cloth, back window, center console, more storage up front.
I feel like lower mileage GXs can be found at lower prices and easier to find.

I have had both. An 06 Limited 4runner V6 and now a 2008 GX.
GX vs 4runner
MPG 16 vs 19 (v6)
Better Torque vs less maintenance (hate that there is a timing belt to do now)
less compartment storage vs a much better center console found in the 4r
much better visibility and head room vs less, the 4runner roof line was too low to me
swing out rear door vs flip up (I like the swing door, but I do miss the roll down window.)
more interior space vs less, especially in the back (again gx is noticeably taller)
quieter interior vs simpler interior (no rear ac, etc but the GX is noticeably more well insulated)
poor location of center diff lock and heated seat switches vs the better easy to reach locations on a 4runner

I will add more as I think of it.

Welcome. I’d like to comment on a few things from your post. The 120s share suspension components so I wouldn’t say one is easier than the other. I recently switched over to the GX from a FJ Cruiser and swapped all of my suspension components over in pretty much two days (worked on it in the evenings and partial weekend). Pulling the rear airbags was pretty simple IMO.

The FJC has the 4.0 and at best I got 15 MPG. It was modded with 3” lift, 33” tires, armor, bumper winch etc etc. With essentially the same setup in my GX, I averaged 17.75 MPG this past weekend over 500 mi. The 4.7 is much more responsive and is hardly working at 75-80 MPH on the HWY. The 4.0 used to hunt for gears a lot at those speeds on the HWY.

I think you’ll notice the fit and finish differences between Lexus and Toyota. Additional sound proofing and the comfort features are nice.

I have a lot of experience w/ Nissan as well. Have used 1st, 2nd, 3rd Pathfinders and 1st gen Xterras as work rigs. Currently have 05, 08 Titans as work trucks along w/ 14 and 16 Tundras. I’m a Surveyor so we use the trucks hard... on road, off-road, HWY, mountains, loaded down with equipment and gear. Have never had major mechanical issues under 200K on these trucks other than the first batch of Xterras (2 of them) and the 05 Pathfinder. Overheating, tranny problems at under 100K in both. But the one thing that stands out the most between Nissan and Toyota is fit and finish. Air vents breaking, seats tearing, can’t count how many window regulators I’ve replaced, fan controls failing, random battery drains, front brake pads and rotors pretty regularly.

I think you’ll notice that almost straight away. 150K on the Toyota and everything is still working as they should and everything feels tight and proper.

Can’t see that you’ll be making a bad decision going to either rig but I think that you get more for the money with the GX. They just aren’t as popular or hold their value as well as the 4Runner. The GX competes with a bunch of Luxury uni-Body AWDs in it’s class and just doesn’t compete as well. That’s not a dig, it’s good for us IMO. Point being, customer drives the Q7 or the MDX and then compares it to the GX. They are apples and oranges, but that’s the price point that they compete in.
But the GX/ 120 offers a great platform to build off of and is reliable for the long haul.

Good luck!

I've had both as well, a 2005 4runner sport with the v8 which was my favorite vehicle I've ever owned UNTIL I got the 2005 GX! The 4runner was great and the gx470 is better.
I owned the 4runner years ago and had to sell it to get a truck I needed for business. Recently shut down the business and started looking for another v8 4runner, I quickly found that they are hard to find and expensive when you do. The v8 is the only way to go with the 4runner in my opinion, the full time 4wd and negligible mpg difference make it a no brainer. So, that v8 is much easier to find in the gx (because it was the only option) The value you get in the Lexus amazing for the money. I got a 2 owner with 113k miles that had been dealer maintained for less than 15, I couldn't touch a similar 4runner for that in my extensive searching. Speaking of maintenance, the Lexus seems to be a more frequently dealer maintained vehicle mine was CPO after the factory warranty so it had EVERYTHING fixed when it came up.
You wouldn't be sorry if you got a 4runner , but that's only cause you haven't had a GX470 ;)
Lastly, one thing I loved about the 4runner was the back roll down window but I actually like the barn door on this gx (call me crazy)

I live in Los Gatos and recently got a GX and I can tell you it is a dream in the mountains and on 17. Just the right suspension setup and power for those roads.

Where was your accident?

First off, glad you're ok! That is an intense crash.

Also people will generally suggest non-KDSS and non-nav head unit because of the aftermarket options. The rear door is not a big deal to me, I like being able to walk up to the back of the vehicle. Do the gas strut mod if you get a GX so the door opens and stays. If you put a drive side awning you have a built in partial wall with the door. I really like the visibilty from inside the cab on the GX vs 4R. I like the taller interior as noted. And if you are going on long trips it's a comfortable vehicle to drive with things like heated seats, lumbar support, 2 sun visors, telescoping steering wheel, etc. Note the comments on power. If you load up on gear much the power matters. And the same with the condition you can find these in. I got mine at the Land Rover dealer - I mean, someone traded it in at 45k miles for a Land Rover!!! I highly doubt mine had ever been off road, our in 4 low, or had the center diff locked until I did that. So they are usually babied when you find them.

This is great. Glad I asked. Did the GX have side curtain airbags from 03?

From what i could find..yes 2003 came standard with side curtain airbags and in 2004 they added roll side curtain airbags which gave you a dash switch to turn off the airbag which might deploy if the truck reached an certain angle off road.

I have had my 03 in more than precarious angles offroad and never had an issue with airbags.

I live in Los Gatos and recently got a GX and I can tell you it is a dream in the mountains and on 17. Just the right suspension setup and power for those roads.

Where was your accident?

Thanks for all the comments. I'm a long time Expedition Portal member and have never gotten such great responses like here.

My accident was on 101, south of Greenfield. I was coming back from a quick trip to the Indians.

Looks like an 04 or newer with KDSS is what were looking for now.

Get the GX, they are all over Colombia as a landcruiser prado

How much has a timing belt and water pump service been running? Just drove a 2006 Non-KDSS with 160k that had just had it done, I wonder if thats a smarter play than a 68k truck that will need it at 90?

From my experience, albeit with some bias/experience, is with aftermarket roof rack installs- the GX will give you 3 factory spots per side for towers, 470 or 460. A 4runner only gives you 2 spots per side... 4th gens you get front and rear but have to drill for the center, it's close to a 60" span. 5th gens you get front and middle and have to drill the fronts. I think that's super annoying, and a limitation of 4runners... by contrast 100/200 Land Cruisers give you 4 spots per side. So if you have roof rack/RTT inclinations, one more argument in favor of the GX over a 4th gen Runner, easier to get a more stout setup without having to drill.

All other things being equal get the truck with 68,000 miles, that’s pretty low mileage and the timing belt water pump will be $800~ not terrible

How much has a timing belt and water pump service been running? Just drove a 2006 Non-KDSS with 160k that had just had it done, I wonder if thats a smarter play than a 68k truck that will need it at 90?

Keep in mind the age of the vehicle. I bought mine with 50k on the odo over a year ago and I was advised by the dealer to have the timing belt done around the 10 year mark or 90k miles. Not sure if that's just the dealer wanting to make money...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom