HELP...1992 jf80 went swimming (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You're making some pretty big assumptions here. I would hazard a guess that the ECU was on when they drove into the water. There is also a significant difference between pond/stream water and tap water. I know this first hand. THe corrosion is swift and severe due to the amount of minerals. It is highly conductive.
I made the mistake of leaving my truck at a shop with an idiot who let it sit. I payed for that mistake for the next few years. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Any other options with the ECU other than just getting a new one?

Spend some time on the "parting out" section of MUD. Folks like to swap out old and tired 3FEs. Also give @arcteryx Jason@cruiseryard.com a ring. He usually has some golden nuggets laying about.

Be aware that you will need the ECU from an FJ80 3FE, not an FJ62 3FE. There are several differences.
I seem to recall that there was a part number change sometime in 1992 for the ECU, but I will defer to @beno and his infinite wisdom and good looks.

"I did notice that one of the washers on the banjo bolts for the fuel filter didn’t get put back on, which would make me think that fuel would have been coming out at the filter when attempting to start but wasn’t... so is fuel not getting up to the filter???"

I think that's your ticket. Check for 12v and ground at the actual pump, I don't think you're getting fuel pressure.

Just to be sure, crack it loose with the ignition on (keep a fire extinguisher for the exceedingly slim chance it sprays onto an electrical connection) and see if it sprays fuel everywhere.
Also be sure to wear safety goggles, not just glasses when doing this.

Also, the fuel pump on these trucks does NOT run with the key in the "run" position. The ECU must see a rotation signal before it will allow the pump to run. So, just turning on the key to hear or feel the fuel pump will result in nothing.

Also, the fuel pump on these trucks does NOT run with the key in the "run" position. The ECU must see a rotation signal before it will allow the pump to run. So, just turning on the key to hear or feel the fuel pump will result in nothing.
The ECU doesn't run the FP on a 3FE.
It's fired from the starter circuit and then from the flap in the AFM.
You are still correct about it not running with the key in the ON position.

The ECU doesn't run the FP on a 3FE.
It's fired from the starter circuit and then from the flap in the AFM.
You are still correct about it not running with the key in the ON position.

Thanks Jon for the clarification!

Have you dried and retried it? All of sunk ones I have worked were recovered by cleaning/drying.

Have you dried and retried it? All of sunk ones I have worked were recovered by cleaning/drying.

I’ll retry it again tomorrow, pulled the distributor cap tonight and electrical connections and will put it all back together in the morning and give it a shot. I found a replacement ECU for $125 on here but would rather not spend the $ if I don’t have to.

Sounds like you have a wet dizzy, do you have a compressor?

Blow dry the dizzy and the electrical connections
Check ALL fuses and fusable links
Reset ECU by disconnect the battery for 10 minutes
Check the VAF connection and blow that thing dry inside and out!!!

I hope they enjoy walking and riding the bus...

So I pulled the dizzy, undid all of the electrical connections, dried out the ECU and the AFM, along with everything else, put her all back together and still no start. May have gotten worse, now no CEL and no A/T oil light when key is on...??? I feel like I’m going backwards!

So I pulled the dizzy, undid all of the electrical connections, dried out the ECU and the AFM, along with everything else, put her all back together and still no start. May have gotten worse, now no CEL and no A/T oil light when key is on...??? I feel like I’m going backwards!
Hopefully, you didn't remove the 2 phillips screws on the side of the AFM connector housing. There are very thin wires soldered to the board inside.
You can try disconnecting the AFM connector and see if the CE light comes back on. This would point to a faulty AFM.
I would also carefully go back over any connectors that were separated and make sure they're seated correctly and that you didn't miss one somewhere.
If all that leads nowhere, then you can try replacing the ECU with a known good unit. After that you're going to have to take it step by step with a multimeter and schematic.

Did you check all the fuses? Sounds like ignition fuse might have blown.....ask me how I know.

Did you check all the fuses? Sounds like ignition fuse might have blown.....ask me how I know.

HOW do you know?
How DO you know?
How do YOU know?
How do you KNOW?

I cant help with your motor problem, but I can give you a heads up of what else will fail in the next six months if you don't strip them down and dry them/clean them out.

starter motor
alternator
electric window motors
ac fan relays and switch panel
drivers seat motors - ltd model
fuse board under steering column
door speakers

Also drain and or check for water...
diffs
transfer case
transmission/gearbox
hubs - wheel bearings
winch and relays

I learnt the hard way.

I checked them all, under the hood the 10a “dome” fuse was blown and inside the 10a “gauge” fuse was blown. I replaced them and the “gauge” fuse blew again... that would maybe explain the no CEL because nothing on the dash gauges work, but that wouldn’t cause it not to start(I pulled the gauge fuse from my 96 and it starts, without any of the gauges working)

HOW do you know?
How DO you know?
How do YOU know?
How do you KNOW?

LOL

Since you asked, I trouble shooted no start problem for a while scratching. H head and it turn out to be ingnition fuse was blown. same symptom, no. Cel, no sart but turns over just fine.

Sorry, did you get around to pulling a plug to check if you Spark yet? Not sure why you would not do such a simple task to tell you what's going on
Because if the CEL is not on, the ECU is not in a ready state and there will be no spark. If the cel is not on, there's no need to crank the starter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom