HD skid plate (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Couple of pics

IMG_20201121_133657024.jpg

IMG_20210107_163834617.jpg

^^^^^What he said, and even worse when we made H.D. skid plates with multiple bolt patterns and over-sized holes we still got complaints of bolt patterns not lining up. Possibly because of the FJ40's hot riveted frame that is

What about a weld it yourself drill it yourself option? I don’t have a way to cut metal that thick and I can measure and drill holes. Would be an option to adjust it to each fj40 by the owner.

Psyc, I think I will build another batch, fully welded, but no bolt holes (you-drill design) due to the multitude of skid plate bolt patterns, and flexed-out frames. This way I don't have to weaken the skid plates with multiple bolt patterns- - -stay tuned.

Psyc, I think I will build another batch, fully welded, but no bolt holes (you-drill design) due to the multitude of skid plate bolt patterns, and flexed-out frames. This way I don't have to weaken the skid plates with multiple bolt patterns- - -stay tuned.
Please do!

Downey, do you have any pics of what your skid plate looks like mounted? I'm definitely interested.

icorradoi, I do not have photos mounted, I do have photos of the skid plate off the rig, but won't have time to find them until I get home tonight- - -stay tuned. My skid plate does not hang down lower than a stock skid plate, and it is entirely normal for guys with engine/tranny swaps to space the plate down possibly 1/2" (normal).

Ok, I dug up some photos of my Downey skid plate, my photos not blurry, but reproducing blurry here ???. Plates will be just under 1/4" thick, and I will not include the multiple mounting holes down both sides, they will be a "you-drill"
$_0-2.JPG
$_0.JPG
$_0-1.JPG

Since I haven't made them for a few light years, I have asked for a fresh quote on materials, my guess is they might end up being in the $249.00 neighborhood- - -stay tuned. Time frame could be 2-3 weeks. No, I will not include any spacer solutions, would never know how much spacer individuals might need, individuals can easily cut tubes/or stack washers to create any spacing that might be necessary (I used 1/2" thick by 1/2" thread nuts).

Since I haven't made them for a few light years, I have asked for a fresh quote on materials, my guess is they might end up being in the $249.00 neighborhood- - -stay tuned. Time frame could be 2-3 weeks. No, I will not include any spacer solutions, would never know how much spacer individuals might need, individuals can easily cut tubes/or stack washers to create any spacing that might be necessary (I used 1/2" thick by 1/2" thread nuts).
I’m interested. Any idea how much to ship to NC? Are they painted or powder coated?

I personally would rattle can it black. It’s cheaper and holds up really well on something that is bashing on rocks. I powder coated skids on my Tacoma. The powder coat flaked off from rock bash. It didn’t hold up considering the money i spent on the coating. ($300)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom