HD skid plate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had a very righteous heavy duty skid plate, but had to build too many and sold too few, tied up too much money for too long, so I quit making them. Enough of you kimosabi’s want one I could do another batch.

Looking for something to bolt on my fj40 with an h42/split case.

Should factor in how the engine is mounted. The split transfer case no longer used bellhousing motor mounts but instead a crossmember under the transmission. Those used a shorter skid plate.

Should factor in how the engine is mounted. The split transfer case no longer used bellhousing motor mounts but instead a crossmember under the transmission. Those used a shorter skid plate.

Not my setup. It’s a 1972. Still has bellhousing motor mounts and I built a cross member off the rear of the split case as additional support but it’s not really necessary

Last edited:
Just a thought.
If you know of anyone that can fabricate. Bring your factory skid plate down to them and they should be able to measure and create something to help you out.
I had a similar situation with my 72. 350 chevy with a Sm4652wd , 3 speed trasfercase set up and it hung down pretty low. I needed something custom. Welders and fab guys love a good challenge from the everyday stuff. Good luck to you.

I've been happy with my Iron Pig Off Road skid plate. Very heavy duty; will support the weight of the truck.

My Iron Pig skid plate is one of the best additions that I’ve installed in over 40 years of owning my 40. It bolts to the existing frame Bolt pattern for the stock plate. Its HD and slides over or off boulders nicely. I tried to modify my stock plate after my V8 install and it didn’t work out very well but I didn’t have a lot of cash back in the day. IMO no need to look further than IP for a skid plate. Oh and it’s plated and painted!

My Iron Pig skid plate is one of the best additions that I’ve installed in over 40 years of owning my 40. It bolts to the existing frame Bolt pattern for the stock plate. Its HD and slides over or off boulders nicely. I tried to modify my stock plate after my V8 install and it didn’t work out very well but I didn’t have a lot of cash back in the day. IMO no need to look further than IP for a skid plate. Oh and it’s plated and painted!
do you have pics of this skidplate? Does it protect the tranny and transfer?

do you have pics of this skidplate? Does it protect the tranny and transfer?

Yes, it covers the trans and the transfer case, and the emergency brake as well. I've got photos of mine but can't find them; here is one I took when I was shimming my rear axle that shows the very rear of the IPOR skid plate under the transfer case and e-brake:

IMG_0659.JPG

I just checked IPOR's site and the FJ40 skidplate is not in stock. Hopefully they will be making more?

Anyone thought of just doubling the factory skid plate? If your running stock running gear it conforms to give you the best cleaance and each of the bends strenghens the metal. If your not running the stock ruuning gear the one size fits all approach is the easy way to. Up until 8/80 when the split transfer and crossmember under the transmission the three and four speed skid plates should be fairly common.

Anyone thought of just doubling the factory skid plate? If your running stock running gear it conforms to give you the best cleaance and each of the bends strenghens the metal. If your not running the stock ruuning gear the one size fits all approach is the easy way to. Up until 8/80 when the split transfer and crossmember under the transmission the three and four speed skid plates should be fairly common.
I would happily run a stock plate - the one on my '70 saw much abuse and never let me down. My '63 sadly has none.

I had a very righteous heavy duty skid plate, but had to build too many and sold too few, tied up too much money for too long, so I quit making them. Enough of you kimosabi’s want one I could do another batch.
I am in. I need one. I have a LS conversion. I can also pre pay if that helps.

Not trying to be overly critical but that skid plate shown in photos above robs you of substantial ground clearance. I think you could preserve much more ground clearance quite easily with a bit more effort toward that end. My fj40 has a mostly flat belly with a small convex obtrusion where the bottom of the case and outputs drop below the frame. Also making it out of 1/8" hardox would make it substantially lighter/stronger easier to remove and replace when doing maintenance. Sometimes adding protection creates more hang up points than it resolves issues. My point is strictly from an off the road POV.

Not trying to be overly critical but that skid plate shown in photos above robs you of substantial ground clearance. I think you could preserve much more ground clearance quite easily with a bit more effort toward that end. My fj40 has a mostly flat belly with a small convex obtrusion where the bottom of the case and outputs drop below the frame. Also making it out of 1/8" hardox would make it substantially lighter/stronger easier to remove and replace when doing maintenance. Sometimes adding protection creates more hang up points than it resolves issues. My point is strictly from an off the road POV.

To even have a chance at making money you have to take the one size fits all approach. So many custom drivetrains out there to even think of setting up and making one to fit each one that gives you better ground clearance.

Just the factory used three different skid plates in the FJ40 between 1980 and 1983.
IMG_20190814_105622213.jpg

Last edited:
^^^^^What he said, and even worse when we made H.D. skid plates with multiple bolt patterns and over-sized holes we still got complaints of bolt patterns not lining up. Possibly because of the FJ40's hot riveted frame that is way too flexible???

Exactly why I couldn't justify buying the ipor plate. I made my own keeping it as flat as possible and just the bump out to cover the xfer. Made it out of 3/8" plate, heavy!

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom