Have opportunity ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

James Madigan

SILVER Star
Threads
Got a chance to get a 6000 mile 2F engine . what would this be worth?, been in storage in a basement for many years.The original truck was wrecked early on.

200 bucks......without checking stuff on it.
like has it been turned over at all in those many years, or did they just turn it off one day and pull it out?
how bad was the accident?
i also have a "6000" mile motor that has been stored in doors for many years with no credible evidence to back up my claim.....wink wink nod nod.

not sure yet . guy who has it bought it out of the wreck. ill have to go see it

200 bucks......without checking stuff on it.
like has it been turned over at all in those many years, or did they just turn it off one day and pull it out?
how bad was the accident?
i also have a "6000" mile motor that has been stored in doors for many years with no credible evidence to back up my claim.....wink wink nod nod.

I have a 2F with 4,500 miles on it. Not stored in a basement. Still has the rest of the cruiser attached. :meh:

I just picked this engine up last week, it came along with a trans and transfer also. I paid about scrap price as there are no guarantees and there was enough parts there to sell to come out ahead. this is what I found.
I never trust what a seller tells me, 1 time sale stuff, I've walked away from several buys just from talking to them, but if I buy it low there is usually no danger for me as I can sell enough parts from it and still come out ahead.

how much is he asking?

DSCF2831.JPG

DSCF2830.JPG

I just picked this engine up last week, it came along with a trans and transfer also. I paid about scrap price as there are no guarantees and there was enough parts there to sell to come out ahead. this is what I found.
I never trust what a seller tells me, 1 time sale stuff, I've walked away from several buys just from talking to them, but if I buy it low there is usually no danger for me as I can sell enough parts from it and still come out ahead.

how much is he asking?

View attachment 2067502

View attachment 2067503

In Stevi?

Never buy an engine without checking the compression. Just sayin

Compression test takes 15 minutes. If it is good, it’s worth more. If it’s bad, it’s worth scrap value.

Definitely pull the plugs and turn it at an absolute minimum. You can do a leakdown easily test too. You definitely can do a compression test on an engine out of the car. All you need is a starter a battery and jumper cables. Don’t need carb or ignition.

OK thanks Edwin,ill probably take a look at this motor later in the week its about 60 miles away.

Do everyone a favor and put some ATF (no more than a tablespoon) down each cylinder before you start rotating the engine. In a humid climate (a basement in, say, Pennsylvania), it could be all full of rust, or a bit crusty. If the engine does not have a bellhousing, flywheel, or starter, you still won't be able to do a compression test.

At a minimum, every gasket will need replacing. Might even be a fair deal at $500, but better at 250! I would bargain hard.

Ok got the motor, $300. havent tried to rotate it.It was in a head on fatal accident in 1974.Mpost of the peripherals are cracked or smashedbut i took valve cover off today and look what i found(6000 mile motor) if you look close on the springs youll see some light green paint which i believe is factory.The valve gear is pristine. I will be soaking the spark plug holes with something to break up any stiction. When i get oil pan off ill report further.

enghead.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom