GX470 Wheel/Tire/Lift Picture Combination Thread (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

how has that spare tire mount on the hatch held up? How long have you had it on? Any stress on the door?
I just mounted it a few weekends ago. Haven’t had the chance to take it wheeling yet since the lift and tires. In fact, the GX is new to me, got a screaming deal so I have been scrambling to get this lifted and off road - but life’s been busy too.

As far as installation on the tire carrier, it’s a tough install, pain in the ass really. But I like the look and having a full size spare available. There are internal brackets it comes with that mount from the outer skin of the gate to the internal shell. I’m sure this will hold fine 😉 time will tell though.

I have buddies who both ran them on their 80s in 35x12.5 16r size and they had bad irregular wear and bubbling/warping issues but they ran them anyway for a few years. They were also very loud towards the end of their life - they switched to Toyo Open Country MT's and said they wouldn't look back - I also run the Toyo MT's - great tires, even for east coast winter driving - no complaints!
I find tires can be as bad as engine oil preference. Some likes this but not that.

This is my second set of Milestars, I personally have had no issues. Not to say that'll change.

Wheels: SCS F5 17x9 -38
Tires: LT295/70/17 Maxxis Razr MT
Spacers: None
Lift: Dobinsons IMS 3in front and rear with heavy duty springs front and rear. Rear long travel
Other Mods: BMC, Total Chaos uppers
76FF13B0-FA2A-444C-8CBF-E70DFCBE6AC7.jpeg

6025CF04-7B9A-4246-AEBD-080F7A92383A.jpeg

I just mounted it a few weekends ago. Haven’t had the chance to take it wheeling yet since the lift and tires. In fact, the GX is new to me, got a screaming deal so I have been scrambling to get this lifted and off road - but life’s been busy too.

As far as installation on the tire carrier, it’s a tough install, pain in the ass really. But I like the look and having a full size spare available. There are internal brackets it comes with that mount from the outer skin of the gate to the internal shell. I’m sure this will hold fine 😉 time will tell though.
Nice welcome to the club! It looks great but I'm also hesitant on the commitment (and also really don't wanna gut the factory rear bumper for a swingout). Gonna wait to see the reviews on the new JW Offroad one but ideally I would just do a mount like you have it if I can be assured it won't stress the rear door too much.

Nice welcome to the club! It looks great but I'm also hesitant on the commitment (and also really don't wanna gut the factory rear bumper for a swingout). Gonna wait to see the reviews on the new JW Offroad one but ideally I would just do a mount like you have it if I can be assured it won't stress the rear door too much.
I’m not an engineer. Not background in metallurgy.

That being said, the OG door mount for the GX470 was produced by ACC garage in Atlanta a few years back, and the truck it’s on has been wheeled very heavily. The mount is still holding up well.

I can’t speak for the longevity of JW’s mount, but the Becky from ACC is going strong.

how has that spare tire mount on the hatch held up? How long have you had it on? Any stress on the door?
There's a pretty long thread about them on here.

I ran one for over 2 years and put about 45k miles on my GX with it. I had a 285 and a 35" mounted to it as my spare so I wasn't easy on it by any stretch. I did trips to most every offroading destination in OR, WA, UT, NV, CO, CA and ID with it on and drove cross country twice. I never once had an issue. I routinely checked my hinges too and the body around them.

The JW carrier is a solid product and a great way to carry a spare tire at a reasonable cost.

The ONLY reason I removed mine was because I needed a way to carry fuel based on a road trip I was doing monthly and the spacing of gas stations. I had to add a swing out tire carrier to my bumper.

If anyone wants one, mine is listed in the classifieds for a pretty reasonable price.

After 3 1/2 years, finally got me some wheels, tires and lift!

TRD Pro 17" Metal Gray wheels
285/70/17 BF Goodrich KO2 tires
Eibach Pro Truck Lift, stage 1 kit, with 3" front, 2.2" rear
*and a LRD Sticker*

View attachment 2666626

View attachment 2666627
Good morning, GX looks great. Please could you let me know where you purchased your rims. I would like the same rims. Thanks

Lee

View attachment 3002635
Finally decided on my wheels and got em on today. (Thanks to everyone for their contributions and advice, this forum has become my new homepage, great community to be a part of!)
Went with these DX4 Nitros in bronze. Unsure of the offset but there is (now) a little front fender rubbing in full lock.
2006 GX470
Ironman 4x4 Nitro Gas 2.5" front and rear
Ironman 4x4 UCAs
DX4 Nitro bronze wheels
BFG KO2's 33's (285/70/17)
Victory 4x4 roof rack
Amazon special bull bar/pod lights
Custom fab foldable sleeping platform
(awaiting on NashFabCo rear ladder, Bison Gear rear window panels)
View attachment 3002636
View attachment 3002638
How do you like the Ironman 4x4 suspension? I placed my order for the Nitro Gas the other day. Also, sweet rig man. Cheers from North GA!

How do you like the Ironman 4x4 suspension? I placed my order for the Nitro Gas the other day. Also, sweet rig man. Cheers from North GA!
Hey! I absolutely love the Ironman 4x4 Nitro Gas. I keep driving on the River Street cobblestones just because it's so fun. You're doing the full airbag delete right?

Thanks. It‘s the IronMan foamcell pro, with their UCA’s. Gave about 3” in front and 2.5 in the rear.
I‘d prefer a bit more rake but I have Firestone airbags (for towing ) that I can crank up when needed.
The FCP gear rides well and is great off-road.
Heres a more recent pic.
Good Luck with your wheels.

View attachment 2950278

View attachment 2950279
Hey, which rear springs do you have? I put in the medium load, and my installer said my Firestone airbags didn’t fit, o talked to IronMan, they said they should have, about to go to a new installer and see if they will. I’m good fully loaded until I put the trailer on, then I’m squatting. Thanks.

Hey, which rear springs do you have? I put in the medium load, and my installer said my Firestone airbags didn’t fit, o talked to IronMan, they said they should have, about to go to a new installer and see if they will. I’m good fully loaded until I put the trailer on, then I’m squatting. Thanks.
I have the IronMan “performance” load springs in the rear. I think the load rating is from 0-660 lbs.
When totally empty is a bit firm and jouncy, but I have drawers, fridge slide,recovery gear etc so I probably have a constant 200 lbs back there before adding camping gear etc.
Rides well on road and great off-road.
FYI, with these springs and my Firestone airbags at 30 psi, my teardrop trailer (tongue weight about 250 lbs) drops the rear approx 3/4” (.75”)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom