GX470 Suspension Recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are you talking about something like this? $900 local CL. I get how this lifts the front 1", but then how do you lift the rear more w/ stock airbags?
"
TRD Pro Bilstein suspension taken off my wife's 2018 TRD Pro 4Runner. The front coilovers have an added Toytec spacer that gives additional 1" of lift up front leveling out the truck.

These were pulled off the vehicle after 1500 miles (Toytec spacer installed at 500 miles) and aftermarket King suspension was installed. There is minor wear and tear from daily driving and handling during removal. Never off-roaded.

Included:
  • 1 set of front shocks with TRD tuned red springs and OEM top hats
  • 1 set of Toytec 1" spacers installed
  • 1 set of rear shocks with reservoirs and brackets and hardware "
View attachment 1921584
Shocks do not lift the vehicle. Not sure how they would have gotten a 1 inch lift "all the way around". Front would have come up for sure and most likely leveled out the GX some. Unless the airbag sensors detected the front lift as "sag" in the rear and then compensated to keep the angles correct on the upper links.

@PirateMcgee did you post an update on your final suspension purchase and install? I might have missed it. Curious about what exactly you ended up with and how you are enjoying the ride.

Shocks do not lift the vehicle. Not sure how they would have gotten a 1 inch lift "all the way around". Front would have come up for sure and most likely leveled out the GX some. Unless the airbag sensors detected the front lift as "sag" in the rear and then compensated to keep the angles correct on the upper links.

The trd shocks have two groves that lift it maybe like 1/2” from what I’ve read. The lift itself might be the gained height over the sagging stock oem could.

So, you are right that this trd suspension only restores it to original oem stock height but feels like you gained an inch over the sagging front coils.

So it's a bilstein 6112 with their new 650lb coil, 5160 rear, metal tech coil conversion, icon 2" 52700 springs, SPC uca. Will be done tomorrow!

20190316_155305.jpg

20190323_152724.jpg

20190316_110658.jpg

Awesome setup all around. 2” lift in the rear and nearly 3 in the front due to saggy old stuff. Sits even now but hoping for some mild rake once I add the winch/mount/ 2nd battery. Rides wonderfully.

Are you talking about something like this? $900 local CL. I get how this lifts the front 1", but then how do you lift the rear more w/ stock airbags?
"
TRD Pro Bilstein suspension taken off my wife's 2018 TRD Pro 4Runner. The front coilovers have an added Toytec spacer that gives additional 1" of lift up front leveling out the truck.

These were pulled off the vehicle after 1500 miles (Toytec spacer installed at 500 miles) and aftermarket King suspension was installed. There is minor wear and tear from daily driving and handling during removal. Never off-roaded.

Included:
  • 1 set of front shocks with TRD tuned red springs and OEM top hats
  • 1 set of Toytec 1" spacers installed
  • 1 set of rear shocks with reservoirs and brackets and hardware "
View attachment 1921584
They're physically longer than the stock stuff, both the front and back bilsteins. The front ones the springs are a heavier rate as well. I wasn't expecting the rear to raise but it did. That might be due to the fact my rear shocks were totally dead. Not sure, but it happened.

Nice work Pirate! I am planning on using the same parts with the stock air suspension in the back for now...would love to see pics of the vehicle from the side to show off the stance! Going to have to search for aftermarket air bags that are a bit more durable now haha!

Are you guys doing diff drops? On sunday I just put the metal tech kit in back with iron man performance coils. Next week the shop is putting 5100’s in rear, and the full 6112 kit in front. I originally requested a 1” diff drop but not sure what the consensus is here. I will either be at the 1.9” or 2.75” lift setting on the shocks.

Left rear. Metaltech stage 2 kit. Ironman performance ( “performance” is misleading brcause its actually the lower load capacity)
05C94824-7226-4E04-85FD-86F8D48011AE.jpeg

By the way i did read the diff drop post imitating billy mays. Makes sense. But, i am willing to give up ground clearance for decreased wear and tear. His post made it aound like other parts would have invreased wear and tear if diff drop were installed.

Not sure if there's a consensus...but I did install the diff drop when I was there upgrading my diff support bracket. Then my RockSteady skid plate completely covered the diff support brackets, so issue with reduced clearance is a non-issue. The skid plates themselves are lower than the lowered diff brackets.

In terms of benefits, it's not clear if you get much benefit. I would say skip the diff drop if you haven't already installed it. If you already installed it, then leave it there.

Skids_Front_05.jpg

Thanks Homer. Ya i am going to skip the diff drop. I am also skipping upgraded UCA’s for now. 99% of my driving wil be on the freeway/streets.

Awesome setup all around. 2” lift in the rear and nearly 3 in the front due to saggy old stuff. Sits even now but hoping for some mild rake once I add the winch/mount/ 2nd battery. Rides wonderfully.
Any updates on the 6113/5160 lift? I’m leaning this way when they get back in stock. Tacoma and 4Runner guys love them but very few with the GX get them. What clip setting did you go with? I only want 2” of lift.
Also how does the ride compare to stock?

King would be my first choice but that can get pretty expensive. For your use and budget I'd look at some of these options:
-OME BP-51s
-Metaltech Radflo setup (Call Mark, he'll walk you through it)
-Toytec Boss 2.5
An adjustable suspension will allow you to dial-in depending on terrain and give the best handling on and off-road IMO.
As others have mentioned a diff drop is not necessary for 2-2.5" lift
UCA's are not needed but if you are going to spend the money on suspension they are the icing on the cake. I ran w/ out them for awhile and there is a very noticeable difference in alignment and handling from OE to an aftermarket once lifted.
If you want 50k I'd stay away from Icon.

Other things to consider are the RLLs. Stock are made of coke cans and the first time you hit something they'll be done. If you're doing the suspension I'd put these on the list as well. Some setups include them depending on what "stage" you go with.

Good luck!
RLLs.?

and what do you mean by If you want 50k I'd stay away from Icon.? 50k what?

RLLs.?

and what do you mean by If you want 50k I'd stay away from Icon.? 50k what?
Icons, Kings, Fox, and several high end shocked require regular rebuilds.

Icons, Kings, Fox, and several high end shocked require regular rebuilds.
Oh ok so rebuild every 50k or so, thats no fun. I thought you were talking about the Icon Upper control arms..
What are "RLLs"??

I've zeroed in on Dobinson's. They have what seems like a ton of springs, but ultimately its springs variety for different rates and different lifts.

[good] Dobinson's basic twin tubes (parallel with OME standard, but better spring and shock forgiveness) are great intro kit, there are fixed spring height and adjustable spring height (similar concept to Bil's 5100).
[better] Dobinson's IMS is a great monotube setup (similarly pair with appropriate springs)
[best] Dobinson's MRS (now my top contender), provides RR and shock adjustability.

As I understand the IMS and MRA are rebuildable as necessary, NOT on high interval schedule.

Fox, Icon, king and the like ARE amazing, but realistically less a DDor weekend warrior set-up for long term durability and use, DEFINITELY a performance item and fit the bill for the application...

@crikeymike will be your man to answer ALL things Dob's here! he's informative, and super fulpful!

$.02 🤙

Oh ok so rebuild every 50k or so, thats no fun. I thought you were talking about the Icon Upper control arms..
What are "RLLs"??

I think he means the Rear Lower Link (Control Arms.)

Saying they're made of coke cans is beyond hyperbole. Yes, they can be bent. I would not consider them a priority unless you're jumping s*** on the regular or planning to bash away on the rocks.

Looking for suspension recommendations for my 2006 GX470 (currently 123k miles, stock suspension, 265/70r17 c load bfgs)

Uses/Planned Mods:
  1. Non daily driver
  2. Long road trips with crap dirt roads/tracks thrown in. Very minimal crawling.
  3. Tow an extremely light trailer (venturcraft trailblazer 500lbs)
  4. 3rd row removed
  5. Dual batteries
  6. Hidden winch mount (50lbs)
  7. 8-9500lb winch with synthetic line (60lbs)
  8. 2 pretty light people vast majority of the time
  9. Light weight drawer system
  10. Aluminum skids
  11. Sliders
  12. Fj cruiser 8.2 w/elocker axle swap

Desired outcome:
  1. Minimal lift to maintain mpgs and cv
  2. Maintain excellent road manners
  3. Comfortable as possible offroad (especially washboard) with a bit of increase in travel
  4. Reliable for next 50k miles
  5. Around $2,500 or less all in

Questions:
  1. Do I need a diff drop kit for 2"?
  2. Do I need UCAs for 2"?
  3. What suspension kits would you recommend?

Some contenders (will use Metal Tech rear coil conversion with isolators):
-Toytec boss (with what options?)
-Dobinson MRR or regular(reliable?)
-Ironman nitro/foam/profoam? (Which one)
-Old man emu
-Icon stage 1
I have a 2007 and I went with the Ironman Stage 4 Foam Cell Pro kit, I have had it installed for over a year and it had been to Moab White Rim Trail and a weeklong offroad trip in AZ as well as a daily driver, I really like this kit.

I have a 2007 and I went with the Ironman Stage 4 Foam Cell Pro kit, I have had it installed for over a year and it had been to Moab White Rim Trail and a weeklong offroad trip in AZ as well as a daily driver, I really like this kit.
how is the ride on the street? is it really stiff or still kind of plushy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom