GX470 Suspension Recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I went with Radflo 2.5 + Resi Front and Radflo 2.5 + Resi rear... and for UCA i went with JBA hi caster.

Total cost was around $3k. If you ditch the resi you can probably get it for $2500. I recommend getting at LEAST a 2.5" shock body suspension since these GX's are heavier.
How is the ride with the 2.5 Radflos? Getting ready put the LTs on my rear. I’ve been running the OME extended travel w/ the MT long travel rear coils but don’t carry enough weight anymore to justify keeping them on.

Regarding do you need UCA... YES. dont be one of those people running lifted trucks without one. Besides
How is the ride with the 2.5 Radflos? Getting ready put the LTs on my rear. I’ve been running the OME extended travel w/ the MT long travel rear coils but don’t carry enough weight anymore to justify keeping them on.

Ride quality is good. Currently running normal spring rate and the standard 2" radflos springs in the rear and ide say it's close to stock feel. Going over train tracks or curbs the bumps are soaked in pretty good. No complaints... Still gotta do some offroading with them

I am new here...1st post...I Just bought a 2006 GX 470 and I am considering a lift at some point...i have a couple noob questions...will installing a lift get rid of the comfort/sport ride options? I presume it will but just want to confirm. Also, i presume a 2” lift with larger tires will lower my mpg from 14 to maybe 12??? 7 years ago i had a ‘91 chevy suburban 2500 with 3 inch lift and large tires that got a whopping 6.5 mpg.

yes and yes

I'm still trying to figure out suspension and am down to three options all with SPC UCAs
OME: Softer shocks but what springs? About $1600 all in
Dobinson Gas: 2" but medium vs comfort? About $1550 all in
Ironman FCP: About $2,300 all in

The extra $700 could be put towards other purposes and the reality is that I just don't go wheeling to wheel. It's all about camping, accessing trailheads, and camping/fishing so the basic suspension will likely work fine.

I would get dobinson before OME.

If you willing to spend FCP money there is another option. Tough Dog adjustable. They are pretty simple, reliable and flexible. Meaning it can be adjusted for different terrain, load and tire stiffness.
Lexus and Toyota | Sherpa Offroad or Tough Dog

THM is running a decent sale. Now looking at:
Bilstein 6112 (47-260153): $587.85
5160 shocks (25-227611): $308.82
SPC UCAs: $469
MT conversion kit (ebay isolators): $191.19
Toytec Superflex 2" coils: $209.98

For a total of $1766.84

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Here's the route I've ended up going ($1760 total)
SPC 25480 Upper Control Arms
5160 Series Shocks (25-227611)
Bilstein 6112 (47-284142) coilovers (these have a 650lb coil and are very new to bilstein)
ICON Toyota (52700) 2" lift coils
Metal Tech stage 1 coil conversion kit
New OEM isolators from Toyota (only $53 on ebay)

Or find a lightly used TRD Pro setup from a 4Runner. I just installed one that I bought on my local craigslist for $200. Basically it's the Bilstein 6112/5110 setup. Lifted the truck 1" all the way around, I kept my rear airbags.

Here's the route I've ended up going ($1760 total)
SPC 25480 Upper Control Arms
5160 Series Shocks (25-227611)
Bilstein 6112 (47-284142) coilovers (these have a 650lb coil and are very new to bilstein)
ICON Toyota (52700) 2" lift coils
Metal Tech stage 1 coil conversion kit
New OEM isolators from Toyota (only $53 on ebay)
I just ordered the same setup as you last week. Except I went with JBA uca's and Dobinsons C59-677V for the back. These new 650 lb Bilstein springs seem like they will hit the sweet spot for the slightly heavier GX.

Talked to MetalTech and they suggested for 95% of the folks out there he wouldn’t recommend anything more than an ICON stage 2 kit with rear coil conversion kit. That will put you right under 3.000$ . That’s what I’ll be going with in a few months.

I don't really see any advantage to the icon kit over the kit I pieced together for $1,000 less.....

Only way to find out is to drive the car with the 2 setups otherwise we’re getting subjective.
Is the Icon stage 2 better? Maybe.
Is it 1000$ better? Probably not.

A true coilover setup like Radflo/Icon/Fox/King has advantages of lifting the car exactly where you need it due to the threaded body instead of being stuck with the presets like Bils.. along with the fact that its much easier to adjust without needing a spring compressor.

So as you upgrade/add weight you can still bring up your ride height as needed.

I have no direct comparison, as i rock Radflos. Both suspensions style upgrades are great for 90% of what we all do... like starbucks meets so you wont be complaining about them. Just one will give you more flex points as you hard park it at the parking lot ;)

#weirdflexbutok

Most complain the nitrocharger sport the are selling are a bit too firm for US customer. Dobinson for the same price seems to have better review.

Just joined the site....My head was spinning from all the options I looked at, I went from the basic OME set-up $1,500 installed, To ICON stage two with upper arms for $2,700 installed. In the end, my rig will be on the street 90% of the time so I've ordered OME medium duty set-up with alignment for $1,675 installed/tax, BFG KO2's 285/70/17 for $940 installed/tax and a set of 1 & 1/4 inch spacer for stock wheel.

I'll work my way up from there, Install should be end of next week.

post pics! and let us know what you think...

Just joined the site....My head was spinning from all the options I looked at, I went from the basic OME set-up $1,500 installed, To ICON stage two with upper arms for $2,700 installed. In the end, my rig will be on the street 90% of the time so I've ordered OME medium duty set-up with alignment for $1,675 installed/tax, BFG KO2's 285/70/17 for $940 installed/tax and a set of 1 & 1/4 inch spacer for stock wheel.

I'll work my way up from there, Install should be end of next week.

Thoughts on this (~$2100)
  • Front Coils:
    1 x BOSS20-700-R - ToyTec BOSS Coilovers - 700 Lb Red Coils
  • Front Swaybar Relocate Kit for Non-KDSS Vehicles:
    1 x SBR-129 - Front Sway Bar Relocate Kit
  • Rear Coils:
    1 x RCC2.0-P - Toytec Superflex Rear Coils (FJ, 03+ 4Runner, 03+GX)
  • Rear Shock Options:
    1 x TT-75109-P - Toytec Boss Rear Shocks (07+ FJ, 03+ 4Runner, 03+GX and 00-07 Sequoia)
  • Add Aftermarket Upper Control Arms:
    1 x 25480 - SPC Adjustable Upper Control Arms (FJ Cruiser, 03+ 4Runner and 03+ Lexus GX470/GX460)
  • Add Rear Coil Conversion Kit GX470/4Runner w/Airbags:
    1 x MT-GX470-4000 - 4Runner/GX470 Rear Coil Conversion Complete Kit
Toytec is running a sell on 2.5 BOSS set ups right now which might help you stay in budget but step up to a rebuildable 2.5 body shock.

I am currently running BOSS 2.0 coilovers with 700lb Eibach springs up front. With a Hefty AL front bumper and ComeUp winch the ride is nice. I would suggest keeping the sway bar on especially if you plan to tow. In the rear the HD springs or like someone mentioned, progressive rate coils would be nice for towing. I have the regular superflex springs right now but will be stepping up to HD's or a progressive rate spring soon due to weight I am slowly adding on as I mod more.

Or find a lightly used TRD Pro setup from a 4Runner. I just installed one that I bought on my local craigslist for $200. Basically it's the Bilstein 6112/5110 setup. Lifted the truck 1" all the way around, I kept my rear airbags.

Are you talking about something like this? $900 local CL. I get how this lifts the front 1", but then how do you lift the rear more w/ stock airbags?
"
TRD Pro Bilstein suspension taken off my wife's 2018 TRD Pro 4Runner. The front coilovers have an added Toytec spacer that gives additional 1" of lift up front leveling out the truck.

These were pulled off the vehicle after 1500 miles (Toytec spacer installed at 500 miles) and aftermarket King suspension was installed. There is minor wear and tear from daily driving and handling during removal. Never off-roaded.

Included:
  • 1 set of front shocks with TRD tuned red springs and OEM top hats
  • 1 set of Toytec 1" spacers installed
  • 1 set of rear shocks with reservoirs and brackets and hardware "

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom