Builds Greetings from Seattle...Fixing up "Blue Guy" (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Suspension system arrived today! This is the Light Tough Dog system. 0-660 pounds.
33362398070_6d5b5c6b45_b.jpg

Suspension system arrived today! This is the Light Tough Dog system. 0-660 pounds.

Looks good, glad the FedEx guy could muster the strength to deliver it all this time... HA!

I'm going to try and get my rear installed this weekend. I PM'd you this, but...

Front shackles -- TDGS-348
Rear shackles -- TDGS-357

@NookShneer picked up some parts from the powder coaters. The wheel color came out great, excited to see them in person and get the tires mounted!
33901557575_4fb1fd0ae7_b.jpg

33860695236_8041e837aa_b.jpg

@NookShneer picked up some parts from the powder coaters. The wheel color came out great, excited to see them in person and get the tires mounted!

"Pay no attention to the small underwear between your sway bars"

Hahaha, you know you are a cruiser dad when you use your child's clothes to protect your newly powder coated parts. :D

Hahaha, you know you are a cruiser dad when you use your child's clothes to protect your newly powder coated parts. :D
I wouldn't dare use my son's clothes for something like that - they'd more than likely beat the cr*p out of me now that they're grown. I'm 6'-4", 180 lbs., but they're all grown now and quite a bit bigger and stronger than me.

There's more things that change when the children grow up. On a trip to the Maze District of Canyonlands N.P. a number of years ago with our youngest son, I couldn't resist a shot of this to inform the NPS they named this formation wrong, Mother and Child. Seems they got it backwards :):

Mother-and-Child.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got the spare tire down after soaking the mechanism in deep creep for a few days......looks like the spare is original? Yikes!
33558103880_0941f56a38_b.jpg

And when the PO had the rig painted, I guess they just painted the tire as well! :clap:
33558103730_e8919a97fb_b.jpg

Got the Aux tranny cooler brackets back from the powder coaters. Looks good, now to finish the plumbing!
33875033601_f973fbc0a5_b.jpg

Suspension install planned for Friday!

Looking good, Get on with it! I want a test ride in it when that's installed! My ghetto junk seriously needs upgrading...before that wagon run we were talking about!
@reevesci-are the TD spring packs "modular" like some other popular brands, as in the heavier load springs are a lighter load pack plus another an overload leaf or two? Or do they use the same number of thinner leaves for a lighter spring? That looks like an 8 leaf rear spring shown.

Looking good, Get on with it! I want a test ride in it when that's installed! My ghetto junk seriously needs upgrading...before that wagon run we were talking about!
@reevesci-are the TD spring packs "modular" like some other popular brands, as in the heavier load springs are a lighter load pack plus another an overload leaf or two? Or do they use the same number of thinner leaves for a lighter spring? That looks like an 8 leaf rear spring shown.

Wagon Run!!

These leaf springs are a truly progressive rate leaf spring. Each leaf is set slightly higher than the leaf above so there is contact along the whole length of each leaf. Primary and secondary stage leaves ensure that the vehicle’s ride remains uncompromised. As the spring is compressed under load, the heavier second stage leaves come into play to prevent excessive sag & remove high stresses from the primary stage.

Chase has the LIGHT/COMFORT springs or 0-660# load range for the rear. The next is a CONSTANT or 660-1100# load range that looks identical to his with more leaves. Then the Constant + or 1100-1500# load range. I haven't seen this spring yet, but have a couple sets on the way. But am told it is the same as the light and constant with even more leaves and fully banded from eye to eye. There is not a light pack stacked onto one to four overload leaves.

The front are the same way with two standard front spring options.

Hope this answers your question.

J

Last edited:
@NookShneer and I installed the Tough Dog suspension today. Went super smooth. At some point in the last 30 years, someone replaced the bushings so they were not originals thank god. I soaked all the bolts in deep creep for over a week. We needed nothing more than a small hammer, a pry bar and punches. We were only able to fully install the front suspension system. The rear will have to wait until I finish rebuilding the FF. We did install the springs though and the painted FF rear housing. Thankfully not much rust encountered, thanks oil leaks! Took us about 5 hours working at a leisurely pace.

Tire tetris!
33864923092_113fff814a_b.jpg

Pre-lift shot:
33892425411_9830ddf612_b.jpg

Clever carabiner attachment to pull the axle into position on the leaf spring
33229434923_f305b0d99e_b.jpg

33911858551_c583ba6f47_b.jpg

33229433693_aefe14068e_b.jpg

34000806876_5947b1a842_b.jpg

Dollies on each wheel made moving it around the garage super easy.
33911862751_e3a687f885_b.jpg

33911867781_36856c78e2_b.jpg

Out with the old!
34000805316_a8f583770f_b.jpg

In with the new rear springs and housing.
33911865741_2a05afa48f_b.jpg

Thats it for now until I get the parts to finish the rear housing rebuild. Soon! Can't wait to drive it and see how it rides. I have a feeling larger tires are in the near future. Going to go with 235/85R16 most likely. Huge thank you to @NookShneer !!!!!! Would have probably killed or maimed myself without you dude. hahaha :cheers::steer:

One more thing, I followed @reevesci 's lead and installed the springs reverse to AUS specs. So their driver's side on driver's side, and so forth.

Last edited:
You'd better get on that axle, or I may beat you to the punch on trying out the new Tough Dog suspension!
Let me know if you want to drive around on some 235/85's before you commit- my '40 isn't going anywhere anytime soon;).

You'd better get on that axle, or I may beat you to the punch on trying out the new Tough Dog suspension!
Let me know if you want to drive around on some 235/85's before you commit- my '40 isn't going anywhere anytime soon;).

K, Looks like you might have your lift tomorrow.

J

Definitely going to beat me. Its going to take a week at least to collect the rest of the parts! I would love to slap a 235 on there to see how its going to work out.

Got the OME rear spring center pin bushings in the mail today. Thank you so much @torfab ! The rear housing is now fully centered and torqued down on the leaf packs. Ordered new koyo wheel bearings from @reevesci for the rear hubs. Need to get a couple more little seals and I can put this beast back together!
33904970632_37869b8f8e_b.jpg

Anyone know the part number for the longer rear brake line for the axle housing? I thought it was something from a T100 or something. I read you use the stock rear soft line up front since its already longer.

Last-Minute "Stuff" for OME Suspension Lift

part number has been replaced by part number 96940-34705. The application shown is for the '95-'98 Toyota T100 pickup. I wanted to do an independent check on the length, so I checked out the NAPA website. My search for the same T100 brake line resulted in partnumber UP 380535, with an overall length of 18.5

Last-Minute "Stuff" for OME Suspension Lift

part number has been replaced by part number 96940-34705. The application shown is for the '95-'98 Toyota T100 pickup. I wanted to do an independent check on the length, so I checked out the NAPA website. My search for the same T100 brake line resulted in partnumber UP 380535, with an overall length of 18.5
I knew I had read that somewhere! Thanks dude!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom