Got Direct Fit Muffler Replacement Experience (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Looks like there are two main choices for direct bolt on muffler replacement for our 06' LX470.
Clickable link ► Walker 55329
Clickable link ► Bosal 279-773

Rumored Walker has fitment issues can anyone confirm?
Looking for an option that is wife approved. This is our travel vehicle and it see a lot of highway use. I also plan on removing the resonator for better clearance.

The Bosal is 4lbs lighter wondering why?
Looks like both kits do not come with needed exhaust gaskets, anyone confirm?

I put on the Bosal on my 99 - Same part number linked in your post. I love it. I just got under the truck to replace a failed gasket last week on the muffler (cheap Rock Auto gasket) and the muffler and piping still look amazing. Sound is as quiet as stock as far as I can tell - even two years after install.

Especially out in AZ, I would expect it to last plenty long to justify the great price.

I've heard mixed things on the Walker, but my experience with Bosal is nothing but fantastic. Video in the link below.

YotaMD.com - Toyota - UZJ100 Land Cruiser - Muffler

I also put the Bosal 279-773 on about 2 years ago. Direct fit and easy install other than having to cut off the old bolts. Partsgeek.com had the cheapest price at the time and I also ordered 2 gaskets (Bosal 256-214) and a clamp (Walker 35336) from them.

I haven't noticed a difference at all from the OEM unit, but I have my doubts it'll last the 11 years the original did. It's held up just fine so far though.

I put on the Bosal in February after reading the same issues with the Walker, this one was a direct easy fit. Looking back at Amazon I paid $140 for just the muffler. I ordered OE replacement parts to go with the muffler and am very happy with it, at least from Amazon the only thing included is the muffler, all the other parts including gaskets, clamps, and bolts are not included.. I had to cut off the old muffler since all of my bolts were rusted. I did not install the shake weight thing on the exit side, the bolts were rusted bad and I ran out of time. I intended to get back to it but didn't.

I've owned my '07 for just under 2 years and its never been this quiet. I love it. This is the condition of the "muffler" I replaced.

jERbsO7l.jpg

My current exhaust is like brand new (AZ ;)) My reasoning for the exhaust change is to save weight and get more clearance given the huge size of the factory set up. Looking at the Bosal set up it does not look like gain anything as for a smaller physical size?

From the post no change in sound with a Bosal set up, correct? Will the Walker set up change the exhaust sound?

I just replaced the muffler on my 06 LC. I ordered both of these mufflers to compare before installing. I didn't weigh the mufflers but the walker was definitely lighter than the bosal.

WALKER - Smaller physical size, lighter weight than bosal, does not include the mounting bracket for the weight/dampener on the rear of the muffler, and the rear outlet pipe uses a standard exhaust clamp fit in lieu of the oem "lip clamp" (not sure what you call this type of fitting...two lips with circular band) I did not even try to fit the walker on the vehicle.

BOSAL - same size as oem, all joints and hangars lined up perfect. includes bracket for dampener weight, joints matched OEM. Bosel was lighter than the OEM muffler I removed.

Neither of these mufflers includes any gaskets or bolts. Definitely order the two front gaskets as they will have to be replaced.
However - the rear gasket (used with OEM or Bosal muffler only) is a ripoff - It was $10 and consisted of a thin flat metal ring that didn't appear to seal anything - I should just used exhaust paste on the joint before attaching the "lip" clamp.

I had to cut all four bolts on the inlet side of the muffler - so plan ahead for replacements
NOTE on removing the tail pipe from the back of the OEM muffler- Tap the joint to break it loose, and then ROTATE the muffler 1/8 turn counter-clockwise to release a guide pin while pounding the muffler forward off of the tail pipe. No need to remove the tail pipe from the hangers.

Bosal to my ears is just as quiet as the OEM - Can't say about the walker.

I just replaced the muffler on my 06 LC. I ordered both of these mufflers to compare before installing. I didn't weigh the mufflers but the walker was definitely lighter than the bosal.

WALKER - Smaller physical size, lighter weight than bosal, does not include the mounting bracket for the weight/dampener on the rear of the muffler, and the rear outlet pipe uses a standard exhaust clamp fit in lieu of the oem "lip clamp" (not sure what you call this type of fitting...two lips with circular band) I did not even try to fit the walker on the vehicle.

BOSAL - same size as oem, all joints and hangars lined up perfect. includes bracket for dampener weight, joints matched OEM. Bosel was lighter than the OEM muffler I removed.

Neither of these mufflers includes any gaskets or bolts. Definitely order the two front gaskets as they will have to be replaced.
However - the rear gasket (used with OEM or Bosal muffler only) is a ripoff - It was $10 and consisted of a thin flat metal ring that didn't appear to seal anything - I should just used exhaust paste on the joint before attaching the "lip" clamp.

I had to cut all four bolts on the inlet side of the muffler - so plan ahead for replacements
NOTE on removing the tail pipe from the back of the OEM muffler- Tap the joint to break it loose, and then ROTATE the muffler 1/8 turn counter-clockwise to release a guide pin while pounding the muffler forward off of the tail pipe. No need to remove the tail pipe from the hangers.

Thanks for the good post info

Specs show the Walker is 4lbs lighter.:meh:
Based on yours and others it looks like the Walker quality is lacking and not a great option?
Did you notice and sound change with the Bosal over stock?

Bosal to my ears is just as quiet as the OEM - Can't say about the walker.

Sounds like a changing out a perfectly good factory set up to a Bosal is just wasting time and money and changing to a Walker set up is taking a step backwards?

Swapping out a functional muffler for one of these in my opinion is a waste of effort and money. Then again, if I was concerned about saving 4 lbs of weight I'd skip eating for a few days or hit the gym to get there but thats just me.

my estimate is that the bosel is 8 lbs lighter than stock where as the walker is 12-15 pounds lighter than stock

just removing the dampener weight from the rear of the OEM would save 4-5 lbs. I assume it is there to keep any harmonic vibration under control.

My son told me the walker was stainless whereas the bosel was not but I have no reference to confirm this. I wanted to stay as close to oem as possible.

changing to walker would probably save at least 15 lbs over stock (since the walker doesn't have mounts for the dampener)

I doubt there would be any significant change in ground clearance however.

my estimate is that the bosel is 8 lbs lighter than stock where as the walker is 12-15 pounds lighter than stock

just removing the dampener weight from the rear of the OEM would save 4-5 lbs. I assume it is there to keep any harmonic vibration under control.

My son told me the walker was stainless whereas the bosel was not but I have no reference to confirm this. I wanted to stay as close to oem as possible.

changing to walker would probably save at least 15 lbs over stock (since the walker doesn't have mounts for the dampener)

I doubt there would be any significant change in ground clearance however.

As it is now the factory water heater aka muffler hangs below the frame:(

Is has been report the SS Walker uses it the low grade Chinese type.

If you're after clearance I would have a shop make you a custom muffler. A good shop can get you a system that just hugs the chassis the whole length of the system. Check "tuner" shops and the like in AZ. They do exhaust systems that hug the chassis of low sports cars all day.

Initially when my factory exhaust rotted out, I needed something quick and had the Walker installed by my old mechanic. Fit and finish left something to be desired and so did build quality especially after a year or two up in the salt belt, and I'm anal about keeping my undercarriage clean all year round! The Walker uses cheap aluminized steel.

Sound level was similar to OEM.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for your info, feedback, and saving me some money:D

I will be leaving my exhaust alone.......except I want to dump the canister unless you guys convince me otherwise :)

GOT Canister?

Well I cant leave anything alone......

Last week I removed the 12.5lbs rear canister. No notable change in sound but I did pick up the standard 5 more MPG

upload_2017-5-27_6-6-37.png

Ordered a Walker Dynomax Super Turbo muffler #17748. After talking with an exhaust guy and Walker tech this muffler should net me much more clearance being 1/2 the size and weight. The sound should be slightly more tone under acceleration with no notable drone at speed making wife approved. Anyone running this set up?

No, but I will if it gets me 5 more MPG. Or did you mean HP? Similar to how the Mud stickers add HP?

Well I cant leave anything alone......

Last week I removed the 12.5lbs rear canister. No notable change in sound but I did pick up the standard 5 more MPG
Ordered a Walker Dynomax Super Turbo muffler #17748. After talking with an exhaust guy and Walker tech this muffler should net me much more clearance being 1/2 the size and weight. The sound should be slightly more tone under acceleration with no notable drone at speed making wife approved. Anyone running this set up?

No, but I will if it gets me 5 more MPG. Or did you mean HP? Similar to how the Mud stickers add HP?

BOTH HP & MPG

I have not tested a mud sticker. One would expect some performance gain but with the added weight of the sticker it could be a wash.:meh:

Really? I've never heard of an exhaust change affecting MPG that much. What was it before/now?

Really? I've never heard of an exhaust change affecting MPG that much. What was it before/now?

...whoosh....

;)

In all seriousness though, exhaust mods can improve MPG - especially with mid-90's cars where MPG wasn't a big concern. Making a high-flow and super quiet exhaust is expensive. Making a quiet one is not. Many OEMs chose to go quiet and sacrifice a small hit in power and MPG. These days, I'm not sure that still applies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom