Gossamer- '87 FJ60 aka "The Red Monster" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRAIL TAILOR

Enabler
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
trail-tailor.com
I’m back… couldn’t stay away… 63 days to be exact :rolleyes:

I recently bought Wyoming’s rig and picked it up today and drove it home… It is a ’87 FJ60 w/ Cummins 4BT, Ranger splitter, H55F and 4.56 gears. There is some work that needs done ASAP and I will address it as soon as possible. Once my shop is available again that is…. Still repairing all the flood damage in the house. So… my shop has ALL our belongings in it right now…. (STATE FARM IS A POS INSURANCE COMPANY BTW for house issues and our adjuster… well… GET A ROPE!!)

The 218 mile trip home yielded these numbers
1) 108miles , 4.74 gallons = 22.8mpg (mountain passes, 55-70 mph)
2) 110miles , 4.56 gallons = 24.1mpg (flat run, rolling hills 65-93… mph..) Yes, I had an open strip and opened it up... I backed off, Goss had more in the pedal.. Ran it in double OD the entire trip..

Plans for now:

[STRIKE] Tweaks to 4BT by my Cummins mechanic buddy [/STRIKE] 2-2-14
Dyno-test by Addicted Performance Diesel
Exhaust rework..4” STRAIGHT PIPE through the hood ( I LOVE WYOMING…) IDEA
Replace radiator
Brakes
Dual battery setup
Rebuild full float rear end
Rebuild knuckles
Replace oil filter relocation system
Twin sticks (wow 4.. YES that will be 4 shifters… :grinpimp:)
[STRIKE] Clean out clogged gas tank vents and separator [/STRIKE] 2-14-14
Install OH s*** grab handles and bar
Gears (3.73s or 4.11s) not sure yet, need to play some more with tire/mph/ratio numbers
Rear locker (air locker this time around. Hell, might as well do the front too RIGHT!)
37s or 345-75-16 KM2s or MTRs (I could go bigger with this lift)
RUST REPAIR and body work.. Can’t wait!!
Prime and paint (Freeborn Red) BC/CC
Monstaliner
Interior work- new carpet, seats, custom panels by J
New windshield
Sound deadening and padding
Dash cap
Aussie mirrors and cargo sliders
Armor by J (front and rear bumpers, sliders)
Hammock option (Yes, Jason you know what this is….) ** HAMMOCK IN HAND NOW** 2-10-14
Roof rack by J
Retractable awning
Custom skid plates by J
12,000# winch
Cargo storage drawers
Auxiliary fuse panel
Auxiliary solar panel set-up for toys to come..
And Misc minor repairs

I’m probably missing a ton of things so stayed tuned for my madness again.

ANYHOW, without further ado… Please meet Gossamer.. “ The Red Monster”.

Cheers,

J

P1030119.jpg

P1030120.jpg

P1030122.jpg

P1030121.jpg

P1030127.jpg

Last edited:
Knew it was just a matter of time :D Will be fun watching you go through it...

Congrats!

Knew it was just a matter of time :D Will be fun watching you go through it...

Congrats!

Thanks D, I have my work cut out for me on this rig. Lots of electrical re-work and the usual rust repair and bodywork. I found another toy while in Jackson today... It may be on the 100 series in a few weeks... :grinpimp: Gotta have the Death Valley luxury cruiser to hang with you and Andy YA KNOW!

J

Congrats bro!!!

This sounds so awesome!! Can't wait to see you work your magic again!!! :D

Sub'd!

Good to have you back J :beer:

Can't wait to see what this monster becomes!

Excellent colour and nice looking rig, that custom bull bar is awesome, looking forward to your buildup :beer:

Thanks guys, it will be a bit before the fun really starts again. I am in research and parts collection mode right now.

The dash wiring is... well.. in need of a complete overhaul. I have reached out to Jason @ Cruiseryard for a complete dash/steering column wiring harness. All of the electrical system and gauges are currently controlled by toggle switches and a starter button now.

I'll get it all straightened out.. Just going to take a bit.. a lot of time..

J

Guess who's back, back again..... :)

I like it J! It is a great start and a much better start than Marley was. 4BTs get a bad rap for the sound, but they are good engines. When I had mine, there was a lot of sound deadening which is critical in these. I could actually have a normal conversation without yelling inside. Ping Dave on his air cooler, that brings down the EGTs a lot faster. Dont forget some gauges too. You ARE going to paint that engine right , HAHA. 93? wow, I cant imagine.

Also, I'll check on the goods in your email and reply later today.

Guess who's back, back again..... :)

I like it J! It is a great start and a much better start than Marley was. 4BTs get a bad rap for the sound, but they are good engines. When I had mine, there was a lot of sound deadening which is critical in these. I could actually have a normal conversation without yelling inside. Ping Dave on his air cooler, that brings down the EGTs a lot faster. Dont forget some gauges too. You ARE going to paint that engine right , HAHA. 93? wow, I cant imagine.

Also, I'll check on the goods in your email and reply later today.

It has an intercooler and gauges already. On the trip back the motor temp never got over 180 and the EGT was between 500-900 (flat land) and 800-1100 (long mountain pass in double OD) the entire trip. I'm good with those numbers...:) I don't think its loud inside at all.. I will however add deadener and foil covered jute padding when I replace the carpet as I always do. The :princess: said it was much louder outside than in... and we held a conversation without yelling.

I backed off of the pedal... I would have easily run over 100mph... once I get different gears/tires to lower the RPM at high MPH and a rear sway bar in there... AND SHOCKS... rig is leaf spring ONLY .....

J

Looking forward to seeing your improvements and progress. Welcome to the earth mover club. There is just something about the smell of diesel and dirt that goes together well.

Looking forward to seeing your improvements and progress. Welcome to the earth mover club. There is just something about the smell of diesel and dirt that goes together well.

M, Earth Mover Club... :hmm: I like the SOUND/VIB of that. Ya, I love to see the black smoke bellow out of the stack when I hit the pedal... :rolleyes: SO FUN!

J

Congrats J, good to have you back sir! Awesome starting point man :subscribed with a :popcorn: thrown in:

What kind of highway RPMs did you see in double lock down overdrive, or whatever it is you truckers call it? ;) :cheers: :beer:

Congrats J, good to have you back sir! Awesome starting point man :subscribed with a :popcorn: thrown in:

What kind of highway RPMs did you see in double lock down overdrive, or whatever it is you truckers call it? ;) :cheers: :beer:

Thanks Danny, good to be back. At 75mph I was running around 2300rpm.. that's with a .62:1 final drive ratio in double OD with 4.56s and 35s.

J

That's such an awesome platform to begin with. My 3rd 60 series must come with some of that CUMMINS POWAAAAAA!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom